• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

History made with first woman to captain Queen's guard - The Telegraph (UK)

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
BZ to Capt Couto.  While it isn't (and shouldn't) be a big deal in Canada, the UK Armed Forces currently do not allow women to join the infantry.

When Captain Megan Couto calls out her oh-so-familiar drill commands on Monday morning, she will make history.

At 24 years old and five foot two-and-a half tall, she will become the first woman to command the Queen’s Guard in its 180 years at Buckingham Palace.

Captain Couto, who serves with the Second Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (2PPCLI), will be the face of equality in the armed forces: taking on responsibility for the ceremonial Changing of the Guards before any British woman has even been allowed into the infantry.

(More at link)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/24/history-made-first-woman-captain-queens-guard/

Not to take anything away from Capt Couto, but with all the Captains available of great standing, this is obviously planned. We do have a feminist PM after all. Or am I just being cynical?

Rifleman62 said:
Not to take anything away from Capt Couto, but with all the Captains available of great standing, this is obviously planned. We do have a feminist PM after all. Or am I just being cynical?

Instead of manoeuvring this into a Justin Trudeau conspiracy theory and implying that you know she is less deserving than others, why not understand that she's a captain serving in the battalion doing the guard duties and she's doing her job.

You can learn a little more about her here:

Shilo soldiers stepped up to aid Sask. firefighters
http://www.brandonsun.com/breaking-news/shilo-soldiers-stepped-up-to-aid-sask-firefighters-321374511.html?thx=y

Canadian set to make history as first woman to command Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace
http://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/canadian-set-to-make-history-as-first-woman-to-command-changing-of-the-guard-ceremony

Realted link: 2PPCLI Guard Duty facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/events/821785924637624/?ref=3&action_history=null

Rifleman62 said:
Not to take anything away from Capt Couto, but...

...but you did.  Any proof that this is "obviously planned."

You assume incorrectly that I think she is not deserving. I know nothing about her or any of the current officers of 2PPCLI. At one time I did.

No proof.

Figured that would be a response from someone.

I have a hard time believing the PM reached down into a rifle coy in any way shape or form to influence officer manning for a tasking. We're really not that special....

When she returns to Canada she is taking over Recce Platoon.  Serious question (navy guy here)... don't you have to be pretty on the ball to be the Recce Platoon Commander?  It doesn't really sound like its a place where you hide your crappy Capt's.

Agreed with all here.  If anything, I think the Telegraph is giving a little nudge to the Brit Army with this article, stating that Canada has women in combat arms trades.

Rifleman62 said:
You assume incorrectly that I think she is not deserving. I know nothing about her or any of the current officers of 2PPCLI. At one time I did.

No proof.

Figured that would be a response from someone.

As a basic rule of thumb, based on all my years of signing PERs and my time on internets, everything before the word "but" can reliably be interpreted as an untruth.

Underway said:
When she returns to Canada she is taking over Recce Platoon.  Serious question (navy guy here)... don't you have to be pretty on the ball to be the Recce Platoon Commander?  It doesn't really sound like its a place where you hide your crappy Capt's.

In theory, yes... it often comes down to who is available to go on the advanced recce course and has made the best impression in the first 3 months they were there. It can be quite a crap shoot sometimes. But she has already completed the advanced recce course which isn't exactly a walk in the park.

ballz said:
I have a hard time believing the PM reached down into a rifle coy in any way shape or form to influence officer manning for a tasking. We're really not that special....
Well said and well done to the good captain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You use the best people available to make things look good. This is a plum opportunity for all. I'm pretty sure they have backups there if something happens to a key appointment. There's liaison staff, drivers and all other kinds of odds and sods. Lots of jobs for other deserving Captains.

Just like in the Air Force when they dragged all the army remusters out to do all the high profile parades. :)

Let's put this in perspective.

Only one (under-strength, 80 pers) company from 2VP is over there, along with the RCA Band.  I'm sure that the coy state was adjusted to provide a "good go" to deserving soldiers (and maybe to make sure that those on parade were "presentable") but the officer numbers probably remained the same, enough to provide sufficient quantity to fill the required guard positions.  The senior rank over there is a Major, the OC and he would normally fill the position of Captain of the Guard.  Today's guard mounting (in which Captain Coutu took over this position) is not the first guard mounting that the 2VP contingent performed.  They had already performed their military ritual four times, once at Buck House and thrice at Windsor Castle. See schedule.  The Patricias will do it only three more times (at the Palace), including on Canada Day, before heading home.  Regardless of who his 2ic was, it is entirely reasonable to expect that the OC (unless he is a real dick) would stand aside on at least one of the days and offer a once in a lifetime experience to his No. 2.

From looking at some of the video of today's event, they provided a reasonable show, though I did notice that the WO did not have a properly adjusted belt.

Good on all involved.  Memories to last a lifetime, I'm sure.

I'm actually feeling a little bit embarrassed for her at this point because shortly after the Telegraph published this article, it was confirmed that they were wrong and a correction was published. Today (days later), I think every major Canadian outlets published the erroneous story.

Maj Fiona Laws was the first female to command a Queen's Guard at Buckingham Palace in 2009.

Edit: Looks like they caught their mistake and are now giving the article the title "first female infantry officer" which is factual.

Apologies to all but I'm going to hijack this thread a bit.
Please tell me this, why is it fine for Canadian Army regiments to parade in the public in historical uniforms but it is totally verboten for the RCN to do the same?

FSTO said:
Please tell me this, why is it fine for Canadian Army regiments to parade in the public in historical uniforms but it is totally verboten for the RCN to do the same?

???

Should the RCN not 'develop' a 'Ceremonial Dress' then? 

Would it not be a simple matter that they just have to do the paperwork through DHH to have 'Sealed Pattern' ceremonial uniform approved?

George Wallace said:
???

Should the RCN not 'develop' a 'Ceremonial Dress' then? 

Would it not be a simple matter that they just have to do the paperwork through DHH to have 'Sealed Pattern' ceremonial uniform approved?

Likely it is our own organization who refuse to consider it. I just wonder who in the Army pays for the ceremonial kit?

FSTO said:
Because Chapter 6 of the Dress Instructions say they can and the RCN isn't allowed to?

AUTHORIZED FULL DRESS
7.  Environmental Full Dress
a. Naval Units and Members. Navy blue tunic and trousers (“navy blue” is a tone of black); white facings. Navy full dress is no longer worn.
b. Army Units and Members. Army universal-pattern colours are scarlet tunic, blue facings, blue trousers, 4.4 cm scarlet trouser stripe. Unless otherwise noted, the colour “blue” on army traditional uniforms is understood to be the very dark British Royal blue (now commonly called midnight blue in this manual). Authorized variations and restrictions on wear by specific functional groups are noted below.

I think I remember something about some optional items becoming available through clothing online...?  But Dress Instructions I have state optional dress items:

2. Except as provided in paragraph 3, these optional uniforms are worn at no expense to the public (see Chapter 2, Section 1, paragraphs 24. to 26.). 
3. Grants are provided to assist authorized bands and alternative voluntary ceremonial sub-units in maintaining ceremonial uniforms not provided at public expense. See QR&O 210.345, 210.354 and CFAO 210-18. Full dress and some undress uniform items are provided at public expense for RMCC and the Ceremonial Guard, Ottawa. 

Back