• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

think denzel washington GIF

I've seen members do all sorts of absolutely stupid and of minimal immediate gain or benefit, but potentially career threatening. A guy I used to work with once said that we all come with a self-destruct button and some people are compelled to push it, just to see what happens.

Can anyone explain why folks are given the ability to resign, rather than have a public termination on their record? There's a public condemnation element to being fired vs resigning; in an instance such as this, firing them would seem to be a more appropriate sanction than giving them the ability to resign.

Can anyone explain why folks are given the ability to resign, rather than have a public termination on their record? There's a public condemnation element to being fired vs resigning; in an instance such as this, firing them would seem to be a more appropriate sanction than giving them the ability to resign.
Because they want to dump this shitbag from their ranks as fast as possible.

And since you posted that, you can't ever whine about how long some arsehole gets to be on paid leave while fighting his/her dismissal. You just tacitly sanctioned it...

And since you posted that, you can't ever whine about how long some arsehole gets to be on paid leave while fighting his/her dismissal. You just tacitly sanctioned it...

Ordering someone on leave without pay is a thing. Refusing their release and ordering them on leave without pay until you can kick them out is a thing.

Lots of tools that aren't exercised (which applies not only to police).

Head of Toronto Police Service arrested for drunk driving... and appears to have been drinking in the TPS lounge.

Not the Head, but high-ranking.

In today's news,

Toronto police closing bar at headquarters

We could also change the rules that allow cops to sit on paid leave for 8 years.

If I set a cops hair on fire, punched her in the face, verbally and physically assaulted her, and shot her with a BB gun, I wouldn't have my charges dropped that's for sure. Losing their job shouldn't take the place of an appropriate punishment.

For reference, RCMP publish their serious conduct decisions. Here’s the one for this particular bag of hammers: Constable Jason Kitzul - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

I’m glad the profession is rid of him. Everything to follow is speculation:

Manitoba police officer lit woman's hair on fire, shot BB gun at her, decision by RCMP conduct board says

-verbally and physically abusing his common-law partner
-driving drunk.
-shot D.R. with a BB gun
-lit her hair on fire
-punched her

Of course they were :rolleyes:

Dropping the impaired charge is a no brainer. No way they could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt with that fact set. They don’t have a BAC reading, and driving behaviour is subjective, and probably wasn’t able to be described with much precision. Easy for him to claim he was pissed off and just driving like a douche because he was upset, tired, emotional, etc. There was probably similar uncertainty about how much he drank and over what span of time. To go straight impaired by alcohol without a BAC is a heavy lift even when police actually intercept the driver and can make observations about speech pattern, smell of beverage alcohol, physical coordination, etc. I’ve done it, but it’s hard. I’m more surprised the charge was ever laid.

For the assault and assault with weapon charges, looks like charges were stayed right after she testified. Best guess is that something about her testimony caused crown to no longer feel there was a reasonable prospect of conviction. Sometimes prosecutions fall apart when the victim gets up on the stand. Remember that the criminal threshold is ‘beyond a reasonable doubt’, whereas the internal conduct stuff is ‘balance of probabilities’.

Initially I was wondering if it might have been a Jordan application for undue delay (22 months), but that would have had to be made before trial, so likely not.

What ‘record’, exactly? The decision and sanctions are published, so the public gets to see it anyway. I suspect Bruce may have been on to something- when they make the decision to resign, that would be harder to turn around and appeal than a dismissal. In the case of the Mounties, a dismissal for misconduct can cost them their pension benefits, so there’s an incentive to eat the resignation.

In the case of the Mounties, a dismissal for misconduct can cost them their pension benefits, so there’s an incentive to eat the resignation.

I read this about a former CAF member, much discussed on here, now serving life in prison.

Is there a different policy in the RCMP?

He was allowed to keep his military pension equal to $60,000 CAD per year as terminating it would require an act of parliament.

Meanwhile...

Off-duty Mountie saves three people from Lake Cowichan house fire​

The burning house contained tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition and explosive black powder

Back