• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helmet Visor

I seen that issue on the visor looks completely retarded. My god the person who authorized these things for issue should get the old throat punch.I agree the shoulder pads are useless.What load bearing rig do you have HitorMiss. I'm trying to figure out a good one to purchase?

I used a rig locally purchased from a rigger. In fact if you contact "riggermade" from this site he would be a good contact. It seemed to work failry well in the eyes of others as GO!!!! is now running my old rig.

but enough of the highjacking.

A ballistic visor indeed...so are we to flip that thing up when we shoot, or take if off to fire the Carl G or M72?? Do LAV crews have to wear it, and can they flip it up to get their faces into their sights? How do I wear my MNVG with it? Score anotherone  for the CTS crew ::)

If we are expected to do internal security with batons, shields & the like, I can see some applications for the darned thing but............

the only time I found any use for it was during cco training. but it's like anything else we've gotten that's visor/glasses wise. scratches WAY to easily. I had one paintball hit my mask and the thing was scratched horribly. the way it got connected to the helmet (at least for when I've used it) it tended to not actually stay on my helmet any time you tried to flip it up, you would also have to put down force on the part that clipped onto the helmet or it would pull right off.

Yeoman,
You talking about the real deal - actual visor for the CTS program? or something that was purchased localy?

Sig_Des said:
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over?
You know, sometimes we remove them to catch some rays. What the hell kind of question is that?

It wasn't to be taken seriously.  Just, they issue you vest to protect you.  They issue these new visors to protect you.  Just wanting to know the difference?

HitorMiss said:
Who are you and what do you know?

I'm a civilian.  Doesn't matter who I am.  I have enough intelligence to understand what these people are trying to do to protect you guys, and hopefully soon me. 

geo said:
Yeoman,
You talking about the real deal - actual visor for the CTS program? or something that was purchased localy?

now this is where I'm just assuming. When I was doing riot training about a year and a half ago, they gave us full kit and kaboodle. this visor on the website, and the one I used looked very similar. so I'm just going that it is the same. No one said that is was part of CTS, but no one didn't say it wasn't either. wasn't something I was thinking of asking at the time. I was more interested in my foam baton and hitting guys in the shins (what? I'm young and stupid)

Alot of units in Iraq have been using the face shields for the last couple years. I talked to a few guys and they seem to like them. They commented that most of the time their ballistic eye wear was being thrown off by IED blasts, so at least with the visor they had double protection.  Obviously it's only the guy in the turret who is wearing the face shield.  The American one is quick release and you can remove it from your helmet in about 1 second if it's getting in the way.

WRT to shoulder pads, there are good ones out there. When I go as gunner I sometimes wear DBT ones that are rated to 7.62.

For convoy ops I see the usefulness of this type of gear, but for offensive operations it limits your mobility.

Testify said:
I'm a civilian.  Doesn't matter who I am.  I have enough intelligence to understand what these people are trying to do to protect you guys, and hopefully soon me. 

You're right it doesn't matter who you are. However, intelligence or not, you have not served, and have not used the equipment we are talking about. The CTS programs have come out with more defective kit then any of us would like to see ever again in our lives. The fact that CTS has not listened to a single thing that the end users, meaning WE who wear the uniform and use the equipment have not given us much faith in the program and the kit that the produce.

Sure they're trying to protect us. However, their designs, material and ideas are so out of date, that by the time it actually gets to the troops in the front lines, or the line units, they have become close to obsolete.

I'm glad that you are attempting to join up. We always need more soldiers. However, until you've got some experience, please refrain from making comments that would be construded the wrong way. If you've got questions, feel free to ask them. But, ask them in a matter that will not cause people to jump on you.

This site is a great place to get information. At the same time, keep in mind where you are. This is not a blog site. This is Milnet.ca.

HitorMiss said:
it is just one more useless POS article from DLR
Well, it provides protection to more of your face than ballistic eye wear & it looks like it will stop things that might just sail through the glasses.  I'd not count that useless.

It probably does have more than its share of limitations.  I can't see it being compatible with MNVG or the C79 scope.  However, worn by the rear sentry in a LAV who has a weapon with EOTech sight, this visor could save lives limit/avoid injuries.  If it has quick detach, it does not even have to leave the vehicle.

Based on not much more than a picture, many people have found it easy  to simply dismiss the idea.  I saw 1 CMBG soldiers trialling this about a year ago.  It might be nice to hear from someone that has actually had hands on the kit.

It may look gay -- but its pretty common in Iraq for the turret gunners.

Frankly I wear a lot of kit that I think is not exactly the top of the fashion world -- but if it works wear it.  I'm not a big fan of a lot of the DLR/CTS stuff -- but I think this has a use. 
-- more than some other kit I would have pushed thru the system, no (but thats another story)

Though I see limited use for AS pers in the LAV and the CC as well what I fear and I believe rightly so is a wide sweeping general issuance and order to be worn by all pers. I well and truly believe that it would/will hinder a dismounted soldier from carrying out his duties for a number of reasons not the least of which is getting proper eye relief with the optical sight and the EOTECH sight. MCG hate to burst your bubble but the avg AS scratch that, almost all AS's are using the C79 for the simple reason that they may have to engage at a distance and not just close to the vehicle (think RPG gunner stepping out at 200m from an alleyway).

Its easy enough to hit with an EOTECH at 200m -- learn to shoot  >:D
Frankly rolling in the bad of a moving LAV - shooting beyond CQB distance is an excersise in making yourself feel better -- but all in all diminishing your ammo for no good use.

I do however share your feer that some ASSININE order will come out that in order to increase soldier safety  ::) that the blast visor must be worn at all times outside the wire...

Huh.... assinine orders?.... nope, none here.... at least not lately...

Stand-by!..... uhhhh...... uh-oh!  BOHICA!

Infidel-6 said:
Its easy enough to hit with an EOTECH at 200m -- learn to shoot  >:D

Who said I couldn't hit  ;D, I was more thinking the avg guy with 2 days on the range a year.....

Infidel-6 said:
Frankly rolling in the back of a moving LAV - shooting beyond CQB distance is an excises in making yourself feel better -- but all in all diminishing your ammo for no good use.

Though I semi agree a few close rounds might spook the aim if fired first and a few rounds down range are better then no rounds when your staring at an RPG that's my philosophy anyway.

Infidel-6 said:
I do however share your fear that some ASSININE order will come out that in order to increase soldier safety ::) that the blast visor must be worn at all times outside the wire...

I think it's probably the most common fear across the board and ranks.

HitorMiss said:
Who said I couldn't hit  ;D, I was more thinking the avg guy with 2 days on the range a year.....

Hey! Not fair! I can hit JUST fine!  ;D When I aim at Tgt #2 both 3&7 each gets two rounds into em. Good eh?  ;D

Has anybody welded on pintle mounts for the air sentries so they can have a c6 or c9 mounted? It's pretty common to see multiple 240s on the back of the Strykers.

Not that I have seen BR, but the new armour package might have something like that I don't know for sure.

Big Red said:
Has anybody welded on pintle mounts for the air sentries so they can have a c6 or c9 mounted? It's pretty common to see multiple 240s on the back of the Strykers.

I've been saying I'll be doing that for weeks now. though I'm a driver. so I've still got to figure out a way to acquire one of them systems like in the apahces you know? move your head, that's where the boom stick goes. what? it'll work :D

Back