• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hello and thanks

J

jrhume

I‘ve been sitting back reading the posts here for the last couple of weeks. It seemed like a good place to get a feeling for how military oriented Canadians veiwed the Afghan conflict and the Canadian Forces part in that.

Most Americans are grateful for Canada‘s help in this and other hotspots around the world, although we too often take Canada for granted. As a student of military history, I‘m well aware of your country‘s sacrifice in past wars. Sadly, many of my fellow citizens aren‘t even aware of our own history, much less yours.

I count a good many Canadians as fellow Vietnam vets, having personally served with at least one and probably with others I didn‘t know about. Few Americans are aware of how many of your blokes came south and joined up to fight in Vietnam.

From an aging Vietnam vet, for what it‘s worth, I say thanks for Canada and her people.

:)
Jim

Thanks alot, it really means alot coming from someone who‘s paid the price with blood, sweat, and tears, no matter what their nationality is.
I extend you a warm welcome to the board. Perhaps you can relate some of your experiences to the many young soldiers on the board.

Welcome American old guy.....but Ithink I am the old guy as I served in Korea with the Canadian army beside our American friends..Considering Canada‘s population of 30 million I think we are doing our part supplying 3000 plus people in Afghanistan...To put things in perspective the U.S.A. with ten times our population would have 30000 which no doubt they have....Good hunting and good luck to all our fighting people...

Mookie Boy,
Sir, just curious as to what unit you were in Korea with. I have some family who were over there.

Reply to infanteer....I was RCEME attatched to 56 transport Coy. RCASC March 1953 to April 1954. It would be great if we ever happened to have served to-gether....

Mookie boy, sounds like you have a few years on me.

Infanteer, my war stories involve diving for cover and trying to meld with various bits of tarmac, PSP, or just plain dirt. I was an air traffic controller in the Army, not a combat soldier.

I served on large bases - Bien Hoa and Cu Chi - while in the Chinook company I went over with, then on two smaller oases - Dong Tam and Vinh Long - with the Airfield Service Detachment I spent the last half of my tour assigned to. At Dong Tam and Vinh Long we were mortared nearly every night for about two months, then a couple times a week for the last two or three months I was there. A week or so before I rotated out Vinh Long was hit by rockets. That was interesting, to say the least.

The US Army is much changed since those days. For the better mostly. I‘m proud of my service. Those who skipped across the border to your fair country or off to Europe will always have to wonder about one thing: Who went in their place?

I don‘t have to worry about that.

:)

Enough of that! What‘s the best beer in Canada? I plan a visit in the next year or so.

Jim

There all good! ;)
Seriously though, Molsen Canadian, LaBatt‘s Blue, Keiths, any Maritime beer...
Welcome aboard

OH NO! Now he‘s gone and done it! This gonna get ugly! :D
Keith‘s is good, but my old standby is Labatt‘s Blue. :blotto:

Old Guy, if you get to Windsor, be sure to check out the memorial to those Canadians who fought in Vietnam.

Hey Old Guy.

Thanks for the job you did in Korea. Without people like you, I wouldn‘t have been allowed to live in freedom.

Bedpan E. - Mookie is the Korean War vet. I was still playing with blocks when he was serving. My little vacation trip was to Vietnam.

Spanky - I‘ve heard of the Windsor Memorial and it may very well be on the itinerary. Can‘t say for sure yet.

Obviously I‘ll have to try several different kinds of beers - purely in the interest of science, of course.

:D

OOPS!

*does penance for his mistake*

My thanks to Mookie Boy :)

Old guy,
After you‘re done with the scientific studies :rolleyes: , you should try a Sleeman‘s (any type, they‘re all good) :p :cdn:

If you do get this way Old Guy, let us know. We can show ya around. We can set up a beer tasting at each of the fine "dance halls" here in Windsor. What say you, Sharpey? :eek:

Originally posted by Old Guy:
[qb]I count a good many Canadians as fellow Vietnam vets, having personally served with at least one and probably with others I didn‘t know about. Few Americans are aware of how many of your blokes came south and joined up to fight in Vietnam. [/qb]
A good friend of mine, who just retired from an illustrious career as a police officer in Toronto, literally showered with commendations during his time on the job, spent over two hellish years in the Nam as a Canadian who trekked across the border to join Uncle Sam‘s Misguided Children -- better known as the U.S. Marine Corps.

With over 400 combat patrols, he left the USMC at the rank of Sergeant, and to this day collects his pension (in U.S. dollars, God bless).

While the younger coppers made plenty of jokes about ol‘ "Agent Orange" commanding the division, he certainly made his mark, retiring at the rank of Staff Inspector. The man knew his goals and direction at all times, and I have no doubt this was due in large part to his service in the USMC.

So, thanks to the United States for turning a Canadian lad with aspirations of policing into one of the best damn cops I‘ve met. He‘s now the person _I_ hope to model myself after when the day comes that I, too, choose to don the police uniform.

[qb]From an aging Vietnam vet, for what it‘s worth, I say thanks for Canada and her people.[/qb]
Any time, friend. Any time.

"I find I have liked all the soldiers of different race who have fought with me and most of those who have fought against me. This is not strange, for there is a freemasonry among fighting soldiers that helps them understand one another, even if they are enemies."
- Gen. Sir William Slim (Viscount Slim)

Back