• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Headquarters Company?

V

Inactive
Reaction score
I just want to throw this out there but,

What is Headquarters Company? 

V

The company in a Bn which supports the Bn HQ.  It's composition will vary between types of units.

It probably contains many of the functions that are found in an Admin Coy (in fact, you will find that there is either an Admin Coy or an HQ Coy) in addition to the Sigs Pl & Bn Ops.  I've only seen these in US Army units (where they are Headquarters & Headquarters Company) and in our Armd Regts (as HQ Sqns).

I just want to rephrase this question. Has anyone ever heard of a Headquarters Coys in a reserve unit?

In the reserves they usually put the untrained soldiers in this company as they await training.

HQ Coy, CSS Coy..... goes by a bunch of names
to fit the unit it serves.

Blunt.... Untrained soldiers are in PAT (personnel awaiting training) Platoons within, what is oft refered to as "DEPOT", Depot Coy, etc.......

The only time Ive heard of PAT platoon was from some naval personel, but i believe its the same as "holding platoon". In our regiment we have a platoon in HQ\Support for the PAT personel.

Strictly speaking, HQ Coy is distinct from Admin Coy in an inf unit.  HQ Coy contains the command support bits and pieces e.g. sigs pl, the comd element itself, etc.  It's where the command functions "live".  Admin Coy is the sustainment piece of the unit e.g. supply, transport, maintenance, medical, etc.  The term CSS (Combat Service Support) Coy is sometimes used interchangeably with Admin Coy.

In a Reserve unit, the terminology is generally the same, except that the functions of Admin and HQ Coys are often combined into a single organization simply because there usually aren't enough personnel to justify two separate sub-units (in some of the larger Reserve units, it may be different).  In my unit, we operated a Rifle Coy (mission element), an Admin Coy (VERY basic CSS) and a HQ Section (essentially myself, the DCO, the RSM, the Adjt, and the Ops WO; our Orderly Room and Clerks were brigaded together under a Garrison OR, so we didn't "own" them).

No Recce is part of Combat Support Company

Within my ship's company, they used to have a Support Division. In an unhappy result, with so many of us are deployed, they merged us with the Training Division. *shrug* I'd rather be doing my job full-time than keeping up the numbers one day a week.  ;)

MJP said:
No Recce is part of Combat Support Company

For what it's worth, back in the time of the post Somalia Airborne Regt and until Apr 1995, Recce Pl was a part of Combat Support Cdo (vice Coy); along with Motrar Pl, DFS, Air Defence and the Engr Pl. 

App Tac!  :cdn:

In the Armour Corps, HQ Sqn fulfils the same functions as an Inf Bn Admin Coy - CSS - and is commanded by a Major who has already commanded a Sabre Sqn.  I think the Gunners call theirs HQ Bty but don't remember what the Sappers do.  Perhaps that's where the confusion comes from. 

For what its worth the way they run it in my unit is the Recce Platton, which consists of 1 recce detechement is apart of the HQ Company. That would (I assume) be largly due to our low number of troops avaliable

A detachment a PL it not makes.  Is your unit Regular or reserve, I'm guessing the latter which in this case it don't really matter considering MOST are barely at company strength anyway. 

Back