• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Head Dress Policy

Qaziness

Inactive
Reaction score
It has always been my understanding that berets can be removed when you are inside a building.  I am now coming under fire for not wearing my beret inside and I am determined to get to the bottom of this.  Is there a CF Policy, QR&Os that state what the exact rule is, or is this left up to the unit to adopt a policy. 

What buildings are you removing your beret in?  Your unit lines, the Canex, Base HQ?

Down in my unit lines.  In the Unit headquarters bldg you are allowed to leave your beret off, but in any of our other unit bldgs berets must be worn, just seems like a double standard to me

Qaziness said:
Down in my unit lines.  In the Unit headquarters bldg you are allowed to leave your beret off, but in any of our other unit bldgs berets must be worn, just seems like a double standard to me

I used to see that years ago.  Most units were smart enough to put a sign on the entrance "This building is an "Attention Area".  Made it a dead give away.

Sometimes it is just better to say:"Yes sir" and carry on.

Qaziness said:
It has always been my understanding that berets can be removed when you are inside a building.  I am now coming under fire for not wearing my beret inside and I am determined to get to the bottom of this.  Is there a CF Policy, QR&Os that state what the exact rule is, or is this left up to the unit to adopt a policy.

Your first step would be to check YOUR unit standing orders. There are CF regs governing headdress, but your CoC will set the rules within your own unit lines on which areas require the wearing of headdress and which do not.

NinerSix said:
Sometimes it is just better to say:"Yes sir" and carry on.

Yup, sometimes you just have to decide if that's the hill (or the ditch) you want to die on.  ^-^

There are no instructions on wearing head dress in service buildings. There are for other areas i.e. church, mess, non service building, etc. See Section 3 of the CF Dress Instructions.

Question: What sort of pedantic dullard really gives a hoot whether you're wearing headdress in a building or not?

P.S. And I'm putting that nicely....

Towards_the_gap said:
Question: What sort of pedantic dullard really gives a hoot whether you're wearing headdress in a building or not?

P.S. And I'm putting that nicely....

wb02-wolseley_hall_1880s.jpg

When I was a young sapper I did my driver track course in Winnipeg with 2 VP, in the days of Max the Axe.  We got in no end of shit for not saluting in buildings and not calling WOs "sir".

On the other hand, the 201 says this in the section on compliments...

Chap 1 Sec 2 Para 19b.
it is not customary for those other than Sikhs working in a building to wear headdress when visiting another office in the same building. In this circumstance, compliments are paid by briefly coming to attention at the office door.

jpjohnsn said:
On the other hand, the 201 says this in the section on compliments...

Chap 1 Sec 2 Para 19b.

That pertains to people that normally work in that building.

It doesn't necessarily pertain to visitors.

Unit SOP's normally dictate the difference.

Why do you care that much? It's a freaking hat (beret). Put it on, take it off in the end it's a freaking hat.

If it's someone telling you to remove your helmet on the firing line at the range, or advance to contact... that's something you should really worry about.

Back