• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harry and William and their military service.

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE420050930082831&Page=4&Title=Features+-+People+&+Lifestyle&Topic=0

Prince Harry to do battle in Bosnia
Saturday October 1 2005 21:13 IST
ANI
LONDON: Prince Harry has decided to be a frontline soldier in the tough Welsh Guards.

His first Army posting would be leading 30 squadies on a tense peacekeeping mission in war-torn Bosnia.

The 21-year-old prince could be shot at from rival ethnic groups during the six-month NATO mission.

"Harry sees a tough infantry unit as the best way to prove himself. It is about the most dangerous place you can be in the Army," a senior military source was quoted by the Sun, as saying.

But Harry is determined to dump his initial choice for a regiment - the scandal-ridden Household Cavalry.

"I've got hooked on the infantry bug," he recently said. "I do enjoy running down a ditch full of mud, firing bullets," he added.

I knew he was interested in joining the British Amry but did not think he was in yet. Good for him. I wonder does William have any military aspirations as well?

Ex-Dragoon said:
His first Army posting would be leading 30 squadies on a tense peacekeeping mission in war-torn Bosnia.

The 21-year-old prince could be shot at from rival ethnic groups during the six-month NATO mission.

Sounds like the magazine is playing things up a bit.

He'll never goto Iraq - he'd be the biggest target in the Middle East. Who would want to be on patrol with him????

I think its interesting he isn't in the Paras or Royal Marines, and managed to get into a battalion going to a sounds cool-but safe theatre.

Good on him tho. Hope William follows suit.

It is about the most dangerous place you can be in the Army
Hmm...? I didn't know the UK still had infantry in bosnia?

But seriusly... It's a great and brave choice for a Prince and I respect him for it. ( and not much else )  ;)

Bosnia is a little tame right about now..... though it is somewhat more interesting that living in barracks in Germany or Cyprus.

In the field with 30 "squddies"..... wondering if that's his security detail?.... now who is watching who?

I wonder if they'll still have security details for him when he's not with his platoon. Seems like the type of guy who'd forego that type of thing (if he's got any say in it).

Ex-Dragoon said:
Would they deploy him if he did not complete Sandhurst?

If he didn't complete Sandhurst he'd still be a civvie!  We don't have Army officers who haven't passed out of Sandhurst.

...still, I'm half civvie on my Mum's side, so I won't bad-mouth them too much!

Paul

Security detail?  Didn't Prince Andrew fly helicopters in the South Atlantic during the Falklands War?  He didn't have a security detail IIRC.

If the Prince did go to Iraq, I suspect he would have a pseudonym - if he wanted to - and would serve fairly anonymously; that's been done before.

A good point Michael.

However, I think flying helicopters in the South Atlantic is a different situation for a VIP than leading a light infantry unit through the streets of Basra.

The Prince of England, on foot, in Iraq, would be a magnet for every insurgent in the country - if not the world. I would NOT want to be in that platoon, as every jihadi from Tikrit to Indonesia lines up for a shot. The entire battalion would probably have to pull security for every patrol the Prince went on. Given the British press, and how well known the Prince is, I don't think they could keep him incognito very long.

I think he'll be placed in a uni with a carefully organized deployment schedule - he'll do enough to gather a good record, in places like Bosnia, but not actually go into danger. He would not, I suspect, be allowed into a rapid-reaction unit, such as the Paras or Marines, just because they coudn't be managed in the same way.

When was the last time a British royal led troops in battle? 

-- oh, whatever platoon the Prince gets, they're guaranteed the best platoon parties!

Ex-Dragoon said:
http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE420050930082831&Page=4&Title=Features+-+People+&+Lifestyle&Topic=0

Prince Harry to do battle in Bosnia
Saturday October 1 2005 21:13 IST
ANI
LONDON: Prince Harry has decided to be a frontline soldier in the tough Welsh Guards.

"Harry sees a tough infantry unit as the best way to prove himself. It is about the most dangerous place you can be in the Army," a senior military source was quoted by the Sun, as saying.

But Harry is determined to dump his initial choice for a regiment - the scandal-ridden Household Cavalry.

"I've got hooked on the infantry bug," he recently said. "I do enjoy running down a ditch full of mud, firing bullets," he added.

I knew he was interested in joining the British Amry but did not think he was in yet. Good for him. I wonder does William have any military aspirations as well?

Last I heard William was following suite, and enrolling in the same academy that Harry was at.

well...
if they both decide to serve, you can bet dollars to doughnuts that they will never deploy out of the UK at the same time.

Daddy is the Heir in waiting but he ain't no spring chicken his Mum appears to be doing quite well.... give or take an "annus horibulus".

Good on him for what he's doing but how wise is it having such a high profile person in a job like the infantry?

Being aboard a ship or a pilot is one thing but isn't being in an infantry platoon being a little too close to the bad guys?
To me he's going to be one big target for attack.

Ghost,
as a Prince of Wales in waiting, he and his brother have bullseye targets permanently on them.... and that would include them walking down main street in London.

With all the military around him and while wearing identical uniforms to the gent next to him, he / they are harder targets to identify.

Hmm.

Wasn't the last British Monarch to personally lead his soldiers into combat George the Second (not the crazy one - that's George the Third), in the 1760s?

The last member of the Royal Family that ended up as monarch after being under fire was was George IV, who was in the Navy at Jutland.

Some UFI.

Ghost,
as a Prince of Wales in waiting, he and his brother have bullseye targets permanently on them.... and that would include them walking down main street in London.

With all the military around him and while wearing identical uniforms to the gent next to him, he / they are harder targets to identify.

I'd like to think that too but I can't buy into it.
The bad guys have very good intel, especially when translators are working both sides of the fence.
How easy is it to accept a 5 grand pay off and say Prince harry and his platoon are heading to sopovo today. We've already heard in articles how Bosnia is a major highway for alquada heading to iraq.
If those assholes are willing to kidnap some christian aid worker imagine the lengths they will go to smoke a prince of england.

Telling chicks that you served in prince harries platoon is cool.
Being a target for every alquada asshole out there isn't.

Prince William begins officer training
Published Monday 9th January 2006
They were welcomed by the Commandant of the Academy, Major General Andrew Ritchie, and were introduced to the Academy Sergeant Major, Warrant Officer Class 1 Simon Nichols.  The Academy Sergeant Major, who is the most senior soldier (rather than officer) in the Army, is responsible for the discipline of both the staff and students at the academy, and is also in charge of making sure that the students' drill is of an appropriate standard.

Prince William will be one of 248 British and 22 overseas officer cadets on Commissioning Course 061.

Prince William joins his younger brother Prince Harry who is currently in his final term at the Academy and will pass out in April.  Like his brother, William will be known as Officer Cadet Wales during his army officer training.

HRH Prince William and his father HRH the Prince of Wales chat to the Commandant of the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, Major General Andrew Ritchie on the steps of the Academy [Picture: Chris Fletcher]Accompanied by his father HRH the Prince of Wales, HRH Prince William arrived at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst for the start of his officer training on 8 January 2006.

Good for him hope he does as well as his old man or Uncle Andrew, not like his uncle Ed.

Back