• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harrasment in public..Hydro One fires "jerk" for reporter prank

FortYorkRifleman said:
Fair enough but but it was juvenile; he did a childish thing only he got caught doing it. What he said moreso than what he did I hear in bars and restaurants in Toronto all the time by men (and women) my age (28) and older. His behavior, I would say, is drunken buffoonery more than anything else. There's a time and a place for this sort of behavior and given the environment he was in which is a sporting event where alcohol is being served I wouldn't expect anything better. She didn't interview him outside of HydroOne on a Monday

No, she interviewed him after the match, in public.  So you think he was drunk and that excuses his behaviour.

http://bmofield.com/about/alcohol-policy/
Alcohol Policy
At BMO Field, our goal is to promote responsible alcohol service and enhance fan safety and enjoyment. Staff in our facility have been trained in responsible alcohol management.

Rules and Regulations Governing Alcohol Management at BMO Field
◾Alcohol from outside the stadium cannot be brought in.
◾Any person found inside the stadium with alcohol not purchased inside BMO Field may be subject to immediate ejection with no compensation.
◾A person may not enter the stadium in an intoxicated state.
◾Intoxication in a public place is a criminal offence. Any person found on the property in an intoxicated state may be removed from the premises.
◾Any person purchasing, possessing, or consuming alcohol must be 19 years of age or older and be able to produce acceptable photo ID proving their age.

◾Acceptable forms of valid photo ID at BMO Field are: valid Driver’s License; Age of Majority Card; Armed Forces Card; Passport; Canadian Citizenship Card; MTO Issued Photo ID; Canadian Permanent Resident Card; Native Status card.

Alcohol Service Cut-Off Times
◾Soccer & Rugby: Alcohol cut off time is at the 65 minute mark. For Toronto FC matches, the Bud King Club in the North End Plaza remains open after 65 minutes, however, alcohol purchased in this area must be consumed within the barriers and cannot be taken back to your seat. Service of 28 oz. beer is cut-off after half-time.

◾Concerts & Non-Sporting Events: Generally, alcohol is cut-off a few minutes after the feature performer has taken the stage. Please check with bar staff at the individual event for more specific information.

Please note that these alcohol service cut-off times are only a guideline. BMO Field reserves the right to cut-off alcohol service at any point as necessary.

While we strive to provide the most accurate information, alcohol policies are subject to change. Should you have any questions, please contact Fan Services by texting 647-933-5354 on event days or by calling 416-815-5982 on non-event days. Standard text message rates apply.

Though I'm sure that the preceding policy is boilerplate and the primary consideration of their alcohol service outlets is to maximize profits, intoxication (especially public intoxication) is not a defence - it fact it could be an additional offence.

Blackadder1916 said:
No, she interviewed him after the match, in public.  So you think he was drunk and that excuses his behaviour.

http://bmofield.com/about/alcohol-policy/
Though I'm sure that the preceding policy is boilerplate and the primary consideration of their alcohol service outlets is to maximize profits, intoxication (especially public intoxication) is not a defence - it fact it could be an additional offence.

Its not an excuse just the reality. My issue with this whole story is the twisting of an otherwise idiotic and disrespectful behavior of someone into something that its not. I watched the video and in my opinion he doesn't go out of his way to insult a woman because she is a woman he's just acting like a intoxicated moron. I don't find it sexist in any way and I am looking at it in the context of a stupid meme, not an attack against women. Does he deserve punishment for his behavior? Sure, he's been publicly flogged. And fired by his company.

FortYorkRifleman said:
Its not an excuse just the reality. My issue with this whole story is the twisting of an otherwise idiotic and disrespectful behavior of someone into something that its not. I watched the video and in my opinion he doesn't go out of his way to insult a woman because she is a woman he's just acting like a intoxicated moron. I don't find it sexist in any way and I am looking at it in the context of a stupid meme, not an attack against women. Does he deserve punishment for his behavior? Sure, he's been publicly flogged. And fired by his company.

:ditto:

I don't know how many times I need to say this in this thread for it to register in peoples heads.... the man has done nothing wrong criminally speaking.  If he had, the police most certainly would have charged him. 

He acted like a twit but being a twit doesn't make you guilty of a crime.

RoyalDrew said:

I don't know how many times I need to say this in this thread for it to register in peoples heads.... the man has done nothing wrong criminally speaking.  If he had, the police most certainly would have charged him. 

Whats worse still is he is being used as part of an agenda where he is in a long line of men who have it out for women. They refuse to accept the fact he's just an idiot who did an idiotic thing while intoxicated. The only difference here is that there was a television crew there to film it and now thats it gone viral it made people suddenly react. This man has been punished enough; I think the public has grown tired of wagging their finger at him so give him back his job and move on to the next absurd thing

FortYorkRifleman said:
Whats worse still is he is being used as part of an agenda where he is in a long line of men who have it out for women. They refuse to accept the fact he's just an idiot who did an idiotic thing while intoxicated. The only difference here is that there was a television crew there to film it and now thats it gone viral it made people suddenly react. This man has been punished enough; I think the public has grown tired of wagging their finger at him so give him back his job and move on to the next absurd thing

Frack that!!!! This strikes me as the
way of dealing with people in the same vein as when they pilloried people in the past for behavior not to the standards of society......life's a bitch........

Cheers
Larry

FortYorkRifleman said:

The best way to not be "part of an agenda" is to not go on TV and act like the stereotype of the agenda. This guy deserved exactly what he got if for nothing else than being stupid enough to not only A) yell what he did into the camera but B) because he stuck around to be interviewed. How did he think that this would end? People would respect his bravery?

RoyalDrew said:

Agreed, but if he had directed at my wife or daughter, I'd be the one in jail for assault.

He deserves everything he gets.

RoyalDrew said:
If he had, the police most certainly would have charged him. 
HAHAHAHA......good one..............oh wait,...you MEANT that??

Hamish Seggie said:
.... if he had directed at my wife or daughter, I'd be the one in jail for assault ....
For the WIN!

June 1, 2015 Cover story: "He’s fired. Who’s next?"
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/cover-story-preview-hes-fired-whos-next/

"The courts have long upheld the firing of workers whose actions tarnish their employers’ reputations."

From what I understand, the man who yelled the offensive comment was not the one fired.

I thought the one fired mainly said he thought it was funny.

I get that people find this to be an attack on the reporter, but really it was a stupid stunt to take advantage of a live camera to annoy. An act (iirc) that this man didn't even commit though he did endorse. He didn't even approach the reporter to state his opinion; the reporter approached him and interviewed him for his opinion.

Finding her irritation to this abuse amusing is certainly cretinous behaviour, however, is it so bad that he deserved to lose his job?

Keep in mind, he's now a burden on society. He's not likely to be hired for a while, so now he's drawing on EI, potentially other costly social services, and he's going to tie up the courts and cause the expenditure of a lot more public funds.

His children are now being raised in the resulting scorched earth environment, which will increase their likelihood of being and bringing more burden on society. What if after a year’s unemployment he decides it’s over for him and takes his own life? He’s likely under siege from a barrage of the offended mob at this point.

Wouldn't the best thing for all here, to be some education, public apology, demotion and community service?

Perhaps consider that if he were to lose everything, he’s more likely to feel set upon and cement his indignation to his treatment and society, rather than encourage him to reform.

Was his comment so egregious he needs to be utterly destroyed along with his dependants?

First off, he (they) put himself in that situation and essentially encouraged his identification as a Hydro one employee.  Hydro one is well within its rights to dismiss him based on his violation of their code of conduct that clearly states that he could in fact be terminated for that kind of behaviour.  (who knows if this guy might have already been under the gun)

However on the flip side, it probably would have been a better course of action to have let things simmer down somewhat first and see what all parties involved would do.  He issued an apology to the reporter in question who seems to have accepted it as a genuine apology.  Resolving these things at the lowest level should be the way to go.

We don't always know all the background facts.  Take Frank Gervais.  despite people being out for blood, his employer took a classy, professional approach to his situation.  But like I said.  maybe there was more to this termination...

FortYorkRifleman said:
I think this is taking it too far and may also be a case of one generation not understanding meme's. If you look on Youtube which has hours of news bloopers where guys like the aforementioned HydroOne employee bomb live news crews all the time, regardless of sex or race. Its just a dumb, juvenile meme where I doubt offending women is the goal. Again, I'm not making excuses for people like this but they are blowing this story out of proportion and now serves another agenda.

This is the attitude that lets "dumb, juvenile memes" continue. People aren't supposed to be offended or feel threatened because it's "dumb and juvenile?" 

I don't know if the CBC piece linked is the same one I heard (can't get Youtube right now), but the one I heard, journalists were being deliberately, personally harassed. Not just a dumb meme being yelled. #FHRITP becomes "no biggie" because it's just a "dumb meme", reporters are supposed to "shake it off" and "ignore it", and then when there's no reaction, the taunts get meaner, more specific, and more vulgar. And the guys doing the harassing probably were really entertained by how upset they could make the woman. The goal of these IS to upset the reporter, throw her off her game, mess with her mind. That's harassment. If they simply wanted to be funny, they could yell something that wasn't sexual and was actually funny.

I also read a case (in Ontario) where a 10 year old girl was a victim of some pretty nasty sexual bullying (read the link, I'm not going to post the nastiness the boy said). I'm sure the boys didn't really mean it and probably thought it was funny ( ::) and got great amusement out of upsetting a little girl. So that makes it no big deal?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/karyn-pickles/sexual-bullying_b_7277210.html

I'm sure that boy would think that #FHRITP would be HILARIOUS too.

It's not just a stupid meme, stop downplaying it as a misunderstood joke.

As to whether he deserved to be fired, I don't know, I'm not an employment lawyer, but I am a woman with a 12 year old daughter. It's not funny.

c_canuk said:

Finding her irritation to this abuse amusing is certainly cretinous behaviour, however, is it so bad that he deserved to lose his job?

Keep in mind, he's now a burden on society. He's not likely to be hired for a while, so now he's drawing on EI, potentially other costly social services, and he's going to tie up the courts and cause the expenditure of a lot more public funds.

His children are now being raised in the resulting scorched earth environment, which will increase their likelihood of being and bringing more burden on society. What if after a year's unemployment he decides it’s over for him and takes his own life? He’s likely under siege from a barrage of the offended mob at this point.

Seems to be another "modern" thing ...

Way to go in turning the offender into the "victim".  ::)

I'm more into personal accountability for one's actions and words.  Freedom of speech is all well and good, but if YOU say it, then YOU get to own it. Don't place the blame of future happenings caused by YOUR words/actions onto the actual victim.

Wonder if he'd have been man enough to say it in a room full of women ... or even just me. Talk about "inciting a riot" with one's words (also limited by free-speech laws).

No one said what he did was illegal, but all the men who are seemingly writing this off as 'harmless' 'men being men' need to give their heads a great big shake.  Neither his conduct nor his words are acceptable and by allowing this to "slide by the wayside", you serve only to encourage the next guy and set the standard that this IS acceptable and normal behaviour.  Believe you me, it is not.

exgunnertdo said:
This is the attitude that lets "dumb, juvenile memes" continue. People aren't supposed to be offended or feel threatened because it's "dumb and juvenile?" 

I don't know if the CBC piece linked is the same one I heard (can't get Youtube right now), but the one I heard, journalists were being deliberately, personally harassed. Not just a dumb meme being yelled. #FHRITP becomes "no biggie" because it's just a "dumb meme", reporters are supposed to "shake it off" and "ignore it", and then when there's no reaction, the taunts get meaner, more specific, and more vulgar. And the guys doing the harassing probably were really entertained by how upset they could make the woman. The goal of these IS to upset the reporter, throw her off her game, mess with her mind. That's harassment. If they simply wanted to be funny, they could yell something that wasn't sexual and was actually funny.

I also read a case (in Ontario) where a 10 year old girl was a victim of some pretty nasty sexual bullying (read the link, I'm not going to post the nastiness the boy said). I'm sure the boys didn't really mean it and probably thought it was funny ( ::) and got great amusement out of upsetting a little girl. So that makes it no big deal?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/karyn-pickles/sexual-bullying_b_7277210.html

I'm sure that boy would think that #FHRITP would be HILARIOUS too.

It's not just a stupid meme, stop downplaying it as a misunderstood joke.

As to whether he deserved to be fired, I don't know, I'm not an employment lawyer, but I am a woman with a 12 year old daughter. It's not funny.

There's a difference between bullying and what happened to this reporter. I'm not condoning what was done nor what has been done in the past but to turn this into a "anti woman", "sexually motivated whatever" is nonsense. What behavior are we expecting to change here? Should we do studies, re educate people starting in grade school on how not to be... what, exactly? Idiots will be idiots, and this idiot was called out on television.

Hamish Seggie said:
Engage brain before opening mouth would be a good start.

She didn't interview someone in front of a monastery or the UN; she interviewed people as they were in front of a stadium where a football match was taking place where alcohol is served. If you feel good judgement and the best behavior of humans are expected to be on full display here I don't know what planet you live on

FortYorkRifleman said:
She didn't interview someone in front of a monastery or the UN; she interviewed people as they were in front of a stadium where a football match was taking place where alcohol is served. If you feel good judgement and the best behavior of humans are expected to be on full display here I don't know what planet you live on

And HE acted like a totally sexist and inappropriate idiot; and, now HE is paying the price that HIS words and actions caused.

Get over it already would 'ya?

Back