• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harrasment in public..Hydro One fires "jerk" for reporter prank

ArmyVern said:
And HE acted like a totally sexist and inappropriate idiot; and, now HE is paying the price that HIS words and HIS actions caused.

Get over it already would 'ya?

FTFY ;)

ArmyVern said:
And HE acted like a totally sexist and inappropriate idiot; and, now HE is paying the price that HIS words and actions caused.

Get over it already would 'ya?

You are clearly not understanding the thing which the other person yelled (and he defended). Youtube it, if you look at a little bit of the best of 2014/15 video (I think that was what it was called) you will see it is not a thing that is sex based. There are times when it is a women yelling it, there are times where the reporter is male. You are twisting the intention/not understanding the intention of the people who do this.

Some people choose to make this a social justice issue where frankly there isn't one. The only social crime in this case is defending what he found funny.

I am done with this thread, I have made clear my opinion on the matter, and now this was just clarifying so others can try understand the situation.

Eaglelord17 said:
You are clearly not understanding the thing which the other person yelled (and he defended). Youtube it, if you look at a little bit of the best of 2014/15 video (I think that was what it was called) you will see it is not a thing that is sex based. There are times when it is a women yelling it, there are times where the reporter is male. You are twisting the intention/not understanding the intention of the people who do this.

It's inapproppriate behaviour no matter who yells it, no matter what they have or have not been drinking.

The intention of the people who do this is to harass and bother other people, and maybe get a little attention for their otherwise pathetic life.

Eaglelord17 said:

Some people choose to make this a social justice issue where frankly there isn't one. The only social crime in this case is defending what he found funny.

I am done with this thread, I have made clear my opinion on the matter, and now this was just clarifying so others can try understand the situation.

Can you just please, please, please stop making excuses for this asshat?  Mother of Gawd people.  ::)

If you're serving, you should also get used to the idea of ceasing to make excuses/justification for asshat behaviour such as this ... refer to recently released report and it's follow-up recommendations by the CDS.

FortYorkRifleman said:
She didn't interview someone in front of a monastery or the UN; she interviewed people as they were in front of a stadium where a football match was taking place where alcohol is served. If you feel good judgement and the best behavior of humans are expected to be on full display here I don't know what planet you live on

I don't give a rats ass where he was. He's an idiot that failed to engage his brain. It's been said before but what would you think if this was directed at your daughter

Eaglelord17 said:

I think you need to read the Deschamps report my dear.

It doesn't matter where, when or who started the trend.  Talk like that in a public setting, no matter what state you are in, is completely inappropriate.  If he was sitting with his friends drinking and acting crude and rude, that is one thing, but when a reporter starts asking questions, acting like a ass hat in public and justifying his actions because he MAY have had a few drinks is unacceptable.

Eaglelord17 said:

Seriously? You can't put horses**t in the oven and call it cupcakes.  Intent is not magic.

And intention is absolutely meaningless.  Perception is everything.

Hopefully this will be a lesson to others but given some of the comments here I doubt it.

ArmyVern said:
If you're serving, you should also get used to the idea of ceasing to make excuses/justification for idiot behaviour such as this ... refer to recently released report and it's follow-up recommendations by the CDS.

This...a million times...this.

It's NOT funny (no matter how many jerks think it's funny). Normal, adult people who respect others' ability to get their job done should not think this is funny.

It's not sex based? How is that NOT sex based? What other meaning does that phrase have?  A man yelling it to a male reporter, or a woman yelling it, does not mean it's a harmless joke and take the sexual reference out of the phrase.

Here's a plan:  If you think it's harmless, next time you're on parade run out in front of the CO and RSM and yell it out.  See what happens to you.

Oh, you might need this: Defence Counsel Services

Information: Duty Telephone Numbers

For legal advice on your right to counsel on arrest or interrogation by the police:
1-613-292-2137

For legal advice on summary trials and elections:
1-888-715-9636, or in Ottawa: (613) 997-8985

FortYorkRifleman said:
Again, I'm not making excuses for people like this

It certainly comes across that way.

What those "men" did is indefensible.

Loss of job may be harsh, but, as has been said, that is up to the employer.

Hopefully, an effective example has been set for similar idiot-wannabes.

I struggle, however, to be so optimistic.

dapaterson said:
Here's a plan:  If you think it's harmless, next time you're on parade run out in front of the CO and RSM and yell it out.  See what happens to you.

When did I ever say I supported there actions? I don't even find it humorous, just childish and moronic. Unlike these people in the video I handle my liqueur well and also consider what I say, at least in public. My issue is when someone says something that maybe the dissenting opinion (in this case buddy defending/trying to defend what someone else said, well intoxicated) and loses there job over it. That is both harsh and excessive especially in a society where we claim to have freedom of speech. If he had committed a crime I 100% would agree with the decision but the fact is he didn't.

...and the employer has the freedom to fire employees who act in a manner counter to the values of the organizations.  I'm sure the guy will eventually find employment with an organization that accepts his conduct; just perhaps not with the same salary as he had before.

I shake my head at the apologists who think that the source of the trend being an internet meme somehow makes the behaviour understandable and such that we should accept such behaviour.  Where then would those who think so, draw the line as to whena meme becomes unacceptable to repeat in real life? 

Eaglelord17 said:
If he had committed a crime I 100% would agree with the decision but the fact is he didn't.

You think the only way an employee could/should be fired is if s/he is convicted of a crime?

Good2Golf said:
...and the employer has the freedom to fire employees who act in a manner counter to the values of the organizations.  I'm sure the guy will eventually find employment with an organization that accepts his conduct; just perhaps not with the same salary as he had before.

I shake my head at the apologists who think that the source of the trend being an internet meme somehow makes the behaviour understandable and such that we should accept such behaviour.  Where then would those who think so, draw the line as to whena meme becomes unacceptable to repeat in real life?

Not acceptable but rather trying to frame this in a context of being part of a meme which is meant to be uploaded to Youtube as part of a goof, not some agenda to attack and harass women. This'll be my final post on this thread as most people here aren't getting that this "behavior" is not surprising given the context; a public sporting event where alcohol is served. Now imagine if camera crews are in downtown Toronto on a weekend filming everyone, what would you judge people to be then? Would you still point the finger at their rude, idiotic behavior and want everyone who behaves badly to be reprimanded? I imagine everyone from Bay Street workers to retail managers to construction workers will be losing their jobs if they had a camera shoved in their face too. But hey! Bad behavior is acceptable as long as their is no one to see it, right? Give me a break

Good2Golf said:

Absolutely they have the right; however, this person also has the right to take them to court over their termination being potentially unjust.  Will see how this plays out in court if it goes there.  My guess is the company will settle with Mr. Simoes before it gets to that point. 

I don't see anyone saying the behaviour was acceptable so I'm not sure where you get that?  I think where the discrepancy lies is the level to which some people are offended by these comments. 

Myself, I took it as a bunch of drunk guys running their mouths off who were stupid enough to do it to a reporter who videotaped them.  Boorish and Uncouth?  Absolutely; however, their comments were no different then the crap you would hear in any men's dressing room of the local ice hockey beer league. 

Lesson learned, if you're going to run your mouth off, don't do it to a reporter.   

As for how offended everyone is by this?  You're well within your right to feel offended but that doesn't mean that everyone else has to be.         

Far more important things for me to get upset about then what Shawn Simoes blurted out on camera to a CityTV News Reporter. 

RoyalDrew said:
My guess is the company will settle with Mr. Simoes before it gets to that point. 

Based on what employment law experts are saying, I'm not so sure:
http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1368194/does-hydro-one-have-the-right-to-fire-tfc-fan-shawn-simoes/

mariomike said:
Based on what employment law experts are saying, I'm not so sure:
http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1368194/does-hydro-one-have-the-right-to-fire-tfc-fan-shawn-simoes/

Don't believe everything you see on TV ;)

Especially when we have "experts" like Michael Drapeau pushing issues... we all know how loved he is on this board ;D

mariomike said:
You think the only way an employee could/should be fired is if s/he is convicted of a crime?
Now hold on.... where did Eaglelord17 say he thinks "the only way..."?

In Winnipeg, the anti-littering bylaw states that spitting is only allowed "in a waste receptacle". If the "jerk" of this post had spit onto the sidewalk, in front of a video news reporter ("oh my Gawd!") and laughed about it... would we be discussing it here? Spitting is so commonplace, but still not allowed by law.

Was it not a reporter that labelled Winnipeg the most racist city in Canada? The city with more cultural programs, cultural arts and mixed schools than the rest of Canada per capita?  Winnipeg Racism

ME

Back