• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Halifax Rifles returned to Order of Battle?

I liked this part:

Justin Plante, 17, of Eastern Passage, had the honour of being the reserve unit’s first new recruit ....

"I thought this would be a quick way to get in," said Justin, who hopes to be a combat engineer in the military.

After all the hardcore lobbying to create this unit, you would have thought there was a line-up of young men and women from multi-generational Halifax Rifles families waiting for the opportunity to join the family regiment.

Congratulations to Maj Gallant.  I know I have seen emails flying from "Islanders" and I bet a few that are away would love to be involved in the project and the Unit.  I met Gen Amy last year and I have no doubt that Maj Gallant will be hearing from him on a regular basis.  I look forward to seeing the new flag in the Conference Room with the rest.

I still can't believe, for a country more partial to tearing down things military than building them up, that we've actually stood up a new regiment. This bodes well for the future for the army in general and the reserves in particular. Huzzah x 3  :D

daftandbarmy said:
I still can't believe, for a country more partial to tearing down things military than building them up, that we've actually stood up a new regiment. This bodes well for the future for the army in general and the reserves in particular. Huzzah x 3  :D

How so?  We've stood up lots in the past couple years.  Do we get a Huzzah for the stand up of CANOSCOM?  I'm still trying to figure out what they do....

Infanteer said:
  Do we get a Huzzah for the stand up of CANOSCOM?  I'm still trying to figure out what they do....

Thats OK, from what I've read it doesn't appear they know either....

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Thats OK, from what I've read it doesn't appear they know either....

But they do have a snazzy ninja throwing star as command badge........

I think the more interesting media quote, especially for new recruits bemoaning perhaps "missing out" on Afghanistan.....
Mr. MacKay said the reservists who join the regiment will be an integral part of the Canadian Forces and may find themselves deployed to hot spots like Afghanistan, Haiti or Sudan.
Is that what one may call a "trial balloon"?

Not particularly.  It's known that there are currently a small number of Canadians in Sudan - Op SATURN and Op SAFARI - see http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/ops/saturn/index-eng.asp and http://www.comfec-cefcom.forces.gc.ca/pa-ap/ops/safari/index-eng.asp

Agreed that Cdn presence in Sudan isn't news.

My idle musing was based on:
1. a growing US hate-on for Somalia, with potential for associated Ops in eastern Africa
2. reasonably new reservists aren't likely to deploy to something like Op SATURN -- line serials are more likely if there's a large-scale deployment
3. Africa's many ills are seen, amongst the bleeding-hearts, as an opportunity to return to our mythical "peacekeeper" roots.
4. The government has learned the requirement to get broad Canadian buy-in to any future, large-scale military missions

Hence, I saw mentioning Sudan as a 'hotspot for deployment' as a potential trial balloon.

Time for another thread split mods?  ;)

Your mistake is in assuming the MND has a clear idea of what he's saying.  Get over that assumption and everything makes sense (or, at least, is less non-sensical).

I personally think that the rifles coming back will be a good thing, mainly because it will most likely boost the applicants for joining the army in Nova Scotia.

Well considering Halifax is the capital Nova Scotia, and the rifles are coming back, and people normally tend to prefer new things, for some reason. So i'm guessing there might be a slight boost.

Its just a theory.

I don't think Halifax being the captial of Nova Scotia has much to do with any increase in recruiting.  As for people tending to prefer new things, that has no relation to recruiting in the reserves - ask the average Halagonian if they knew about a new unit being raised in their area.  Halifax has a few reserve units already, and your theory has nothing to support an increase in recruiting based upon a new Armoured Regiment there.

If you're going to raise theories here, try and base them on solid ground.

CadetMez said:
Its just a theory.
My theory is that this will have a minimal impact at most. 

We will not see more people join because of the availability of another capbadge in the city.  We might see a very short term rise in recruiting applications because of the free publicity in the press (and by now, we're already on the downward side of that peak).  There may be a tiny lasting increase resulting from the option of a new reserve occupation within the city.  However, I suspect that most people who want to join the reserves are not dissuaded because their preferred choice is not locally available locally; they just move on to choice 2, 3, 5 etc. 

It will be interesting to learn the effect of one more unit competing for personnel from the same pool.  I hope someone first did the assessment to determine the city can feed the additional demand. 

MCG said:
It will be interesting to learn the effect of one more unit competing for personnel from the same pool.  I hope someone first did the assessment to determine the city can feed the additional demand.

An assessment?  It is to laugh.  An MND brain fart intended to pander to a small complaining group does not come with assessment.

No problem.

Just be prepared to back your theories up in future.

Having worked for 36 CBG for "a while" before going back to the Reg's, I would guess that all this will do is mean the other already existing Res units (PLF, 33 Svc Bn, 33 Fd Amb, 1st Fd Reg't RCA, 723 Comm Sqn, 30 MP Coy, 3 Int Coy, as well the Air Reserve Flight at 12 Wing and HMCS Scotian on the dockyard) will have more competition for those folks interested in joining the Reserve component of the CF.

Smoke and mirrors.

Back