• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Halifax Rifles returned to Order of Battle?

I am curious where they will get their kit from.  I don't know about the Crazy 8s in Moncton but on the island, there wasn't enough kit to go around to kit out a Sqn, on the Veh or Comm side.  There are a few blackhatters in the Hfx area that might fill the RSM/SSM and Ops WO positions (one is currently in a Res Sgt-Major position in the Valley and one recently CT to the Res from his position at the Hfx CFRC).  I don't know on the Officer side (assuming they won't snatch anyone from LFAA, or double-task them). *assuming it will be a Armd Recce unit*

Well they could just go buy a bunch of jeeps and the 5 door version for CP's, In the real world you could get 12 x 2 doors and 4 x 4 doors for $300,000 plus spare parts. For army and contracting process, more like a million by the time the vehicles arrive.

As A former PLFus. its about time, when i was in the Halifax Rifle Cadets we tried for years to reactivate our unit and finally it has happened I cant wait to re-enlist i am going back to the unit i started out in and I am excited this unit is going to do great things. :cdn:

Please don't tell me this is Herman that did BMQ in 2001-02 era?

I hope this is in the right place.
------------------------------------------

Historic Canadian military unit reactivated
Article Link

The Halifax Rifles, a historic but defunct Canadian battle regiment, officially returned to military service Sunday, more than four decades after being disbanded.

Minister of Defence Peter MacKay was on hand for the ceremony at the Halifax armoury.

MacKay said the unit was revived to help meet the growing demands of the Canadian Forces at home and abroad, including the mission in Afghanistan.
Emphasis added

So, are the newly reactivated Halifax Rifles going to be a regular force reg? (I'm guessing not, but it was not clarified).

I would think they would be a Reserve unit. Halifax does not have the infrastructure for a Regular Force infantry batallion. I't probably a case of too much demand for slots within the existing regiments in the Halifax area.

For all of those interested:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090510/halifax_rifles_090510/20090510?hub=TopStories

Historic Canadian military unit reactivated
Updated Sun. May. 10 2009 5:18 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The Halifax Rifles, a historic but defunct Canadian battle regiment, officially returned to military service Sunday, more than four decades after being disbanded.

Minister of Defence Peter MacKay was on hand for the ceremony at the Halifax armoury.

MacKay said the unit was revived to help meet the growing demands of the Canadian Forces at home and abroad, including the mission in Afghanistan.

"This is part of the overall growth we hope to achieve," he said. "We set annual goals in terms of our expansion and I thought it was very symbolic today we saw our very first new recruit into the Halifax Rifles Unit."

Brig.-Gen. David Neasmith -- commander of Canadian Land Forces, Atlantic Area -- called it a proud day.

"We haven't reactivated a unit like this in a long, long time so this is actually very significant for the Canadian Forces," he said.

Neasmith added it was possible the Rifles could see action in Afghanistan once it is fully staffed and trained. The unit is aiming to have 130 recruits.

The Halifax Rifles have a long and proud history. Originally formed in 1860, prior to Confederation, the unit saw service in the North West Rebellion of 1885, and numerous overseas missions including the First and Second World Wars.

Many prominent Canadians served in the Rifles, including two prime ministers, Sir Charles Tupper and Sir Robert Borden, three Nova Scotia premiers and many other prominent leaders in that province.

The unit was made inactive in 1965 as part of a sweeping reorganization of the Canadian Forces.

Looks like we posted at around the same time, mods, perhaps this thread should be merged with the original halifax rifles thread i posted in? thanks!

Found answers to my own questions;
-----------------------------------------

WHY DID PETER MACKAY REACTIVATE THE HALIFAX RIFLES?
Article Link

On Friday, Defence Minister Peter MacKay announced the return to service of the Halifax Rifles, and the creation of a new Army Reserve unit in Yellowknife. "This new unit will lend direct support to the domestic operations commitments of the existing Reserve forces in the Halifax area," MacKay said in a statement. The Halifax Rifles will be either a reconnaissance or an infantry unit.

(In 1965, as part of a major reorganization of the Militia, the Halifax Rifles was made inactive and placed on the Supplementary Order of Battle, according to DND. Former serving members of the unit have remained active in the military community through their membership in the Halifax Rifles Armoury Association.)

In addition, the CF is creating a new Company-sized sub-unit to be assigned to one of Land Force Western Area's existing Reserve Force Infantry Battalions in Yellowknife, the DND press release states. Military leaders are currently mapping out the proposed mission and tasks for the new Yellowknife sub-unit which will enhance Canada's ability to operate in the North.

-------------------------------

THE HALIFAX RIFLES TO BE RETURNED TO SERVICE IN CEREMONY ON SUNDAY
Article Link

Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway will preside over the Return to Service Ceremony for The Halifax Rifles, according to DND. The Ceremony will take place at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday May 10th, 2009 at the Halifax Armoury, 5674 Cunard Street, Halifax, NS.

--------------------------------
The Halifax Rifles
Article Link

The Halifax Rifles was established as a unit in 1860. Members of this historic regiment proudly served Canada both at home and abroad, with many overseas campaigns and battle honours. As the 63rd Battalion, the unit also saw active service in Canada during the North West Rebellion of 1885. Many prominent Canadians served in the unit, including two Canadian Prime Ministers, The Hon Joseph Howe, (and three other Nova Scotia Premiers), as well as countless political and business leaders in the local community.

Snakedoc said:
Looks like we posted at around the same time, mods, perhaps this thread should be merged with the original halifax rifles thread i posted in? thanks!

Wow... I even did a search here for "Halifax Rifles", and found nothing.  ???

Snakedoc said:
Neasmith added it was possible the Rifles could see action in Afghanistan once it is fully staffed and trained. The unit is aiming to have 130 recruits.

Um... He said what?

Knowing him, I suspect it's the media condensing and removing common sense from his words.

After all, the CTV news article has the wrong General in the caption to their online picture - they're showing BGen O'Brien, not BGen Neasmith.  If they can't get names right, the quotes are equally suspect.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090510/halifax_rifles_090510/20090510?hub=TopStories

Thats cool. Look at the dates on the first post till now it was only 9 years...

Excellent. So that means if we start now, the Airborne Regiment could be back in action by 2018!  ;D

Halifax Rifles reborn and ready
Storied militia unit revived after 44 years
By PAT LEE Staff Reporter
Mon. May 11 - 12:38 PM
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1121296.html

Forty-four years after retired Lt.-Col. Russell Hubley’s army reserve unit was shut down, he was proud to be in the audience to see the first recruit be sworn in to the newly reactivated Halifax Rifles.

"I’m very, very happy to see the Halifax Rifles back again," the last commanding officer of the regiment said Sunday at a ceremony held at the Halifax Armouries.

"Now that they’re back again after all these years, they can get on to the job they were going to do, to serve Canada."

At the ceremony, which included speeches and document signings by Defence Minister Peter MacKay as well as army brass, the regiment was officially reactivated as part of the 36 Canadian Brigade Group to fill a light armoured reconnaissance role.

Justin Plante, 17, of Eastern Passage, had the honour of being the reserve unit’s first new recruit and was sworn in by newly assigned commanding officer Maj. Shane Gallant before the assembled masses.

The Grade 11 student at Cole Harbour District High School said he hopes to make a career in the military and thinks the reserve unit is a good place to start.

"I thought this would be a quick way to get in," said Justin, who hopes to be a combat engineer in the military.

The unit will recruit 120 to 130 members and need to find a home for training.

The Halifax Rifles was established as a militia unit in 1860 and saw active service during the Northwest Rebellion of 1885 and in both world wars.

Over the years, the regiment has had two Canadian prime ministers and three Nova Scotia premiers among its ranks.

In 1965, the unit was made inactive, and over the years, several individuals and groups had made it their mission to see the group reinstated.

Most speakers credited the hard work and persistent lobbying by members of the Halifax Rifles Armoury Association and Friends of the Halifax Rifles for the government’s change of heart.

Rob Cuthbert, president of the Halifax Rifles Armoury Association, said as recently as last May, his group was told reactivation wasn’t likely to happen.

"But things change and we kept fighting and kept sending letters and making presentations and recruiting other people to help," said Mr. Cuthbert, who joined the rifles himself as a teenager before embarking on a 37-year career in the military.

Brig.-Gen. Dave Neasmith, commander of Land Force Atlantic, called it a "rare event" to have a unit put back into service.

"I have every confidence that this fine unit will soon . . . contribute to the vital task of serving Canada’s best interests at home and abroad, and once again make a visible mark on Nova Scotia’s proud military tradition by producing world-class soldiers and world-class leaders, as the Halifax Rifles have done in the past."

Mr. MacKay said the reservists who join the regiment will be an integral part of the Canadian Forces and may find themselves deployed to hot spots like Afghanistan, Haiti or Sudan.

"The reserves play such an important part in our military today," he said.

I know there was talk of this before but does anyone know the final amount of people that will be hired?

Pat_Y said:
I know there was talk of this before but does anyone know the final amount of people that will be hired?

From the article in the Chronically Horrible:

The unit will recruit 120 to 130 members and need to find a home for training.

so..back on topic...

Searching the GAL for anyone with the section/sub-unit  Halifax Rifles (RCAC), I came up with 2...the OC (Maj Gallant) and the Ops O.  So....we have the OC, Ops O and 1 recruit.  Lots of room to grow!

Maj Gallant is showing as the OC HQ Coy in the GAL.  LOL. 

:)

Back