• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hackles

Actually "combat" dress for line companies in Highland Regiments in the 1700's was a balmoral style bonnet with a toorie (tourey?), the high feathered bonnet Michael describes coming in during the 1800's.

However any pictures/prints I've seen of all the regimentrs of this period (42nd, 72nd, 74th, 75th, 78th, 79th Foot etc) had them wearing the same dark navy, almost black, headress witha red toourie. So again this theory that the colour was used for marking different units doesn't appear to hold up.

1855323168.01.LZZZZZZZ

malcolm1.gif

The red hackle is also worn by the Transvaal Scottish
www.jocks.co.za

Cheers Coop for laying that old rumour to rest......our Lorne Brothers wear a DISTINCTION not a dishonour.....

And how about the hackle that has dissapeared from the dress of 4th Bn RCR (The London and Oxfordshire Fusiliers)???

The accessory referred to is actually supposed to be a Fusilier's plume, and is all white as a reminder of the "Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regt)" association with the other "City of London Fusiliers" in Merrie Olde England.

The Canadian Fusiliers had a very long and interesting history as well, starting as the 7th Volunteer Company in the early 1800's, and ending as part of the RCR collective in the 1950s (after themselves amalgamating the 3rd Machine Gun Battalion, The Oxford Rifles and taking the remnants of the Perth Regiment [who committed a form of seppuku by choosing to be struck from the order of battle rather than be absorbed by the RCR).

My source material isn't handy right now, but I will post something about them someday.

The RCR collective Arthur?

Could you be refferring to the PAARDEBORG?!!!!!!!!!

Yes SB, resistance is futile; we will amalgamate your distinctive battle honours with our own....

I will resist your French Onion sellers hat and cloth trousers to the END Artorius!!!!!

As an additonal note, I understand that certain units designated as being affiliated with the Prince of Wales wear or wore three white feathers; not sure if this is a Welsh insignia or something specific to the Prince. This seems to have been adapted into cap badges today, rather than being worn as feathers. No idea if this applies to any current Canadian units.

The  North Staffordshire Regiment
(The Prince of Wales's)
064nstaff.jpg

THE 9TH/12TH ROYAL LANCERS (PRINCE OF WALES'S)
badge.jpg

Badge of the 100th (Prince of Wales's Royal Canadian) Regiment, 1860
1860.jpg

The colour of the hackle is significant. If I remember my heraldry the use of white or “argent” indicated; peace and sincerity. It is also used to denote honour, steadfastness and loyalty.

Quadripiper: They are the Prince of Wales plumes.  Units with an affiliation of some sort will have this symbol on their cap badges, insignia, colours etc.

Someone posted a link to the GGFG website today - a brief glimpse showed one of their company colours had the plume on it.

As mentioned the GGFG have it on their 2 Company coulour point.  It also features on the Regimental Colours (the three coy symbols rotate on the regimental coulours, currently it sports the 2 Coy symbol).  The association is based on the GGFG's roots with the Civil Rifles (I may have the name wrong) who's honourary Colonel at the time was the Prince of Wales.

Crantor said:
As mentioned the GGFG have it on their 2 Company coulour point.  It also features on the Regimental Colours (the three coy symbols rotate on the regimental coulours, currently it sports the 2 Coy symbol).  The association is based on the GGFG's roots with the Civil Rifles (I may have the name wrong) who's honourary Colonel at the time was the Prince of Wales.

Close, the Civil Servant Rifle Corps and later the Civil Servant Rifle Regiment.  More information can be found at
http://www.cyberus.ca/~ggfg/history.htm
As a side note, with the expansion of the unit it was recently presented with a fourth Colour Point for its new company.  Any takers on whether it will be included in the rotation?

Arrgh... I can't remember the history about the hackle, but I do remember a couple of factoids on it.
s
The hackle is made of the feathers from the 'chin' of a rooster - the same ones used in high quality fishing lures.

I do remember how to properly 'form' your hackle. First, you steam it until the feathers fluff out in all dircetions, then shove the thing in a shot glass. Pull it out an hour later.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Hackles are feathers, usually (but not always) worn in the headdress of Highland regiments. I‘m bound to be corrected on their meaning, but I believe the colour is signficant. For example, the Black Watch have a red hackle that was issued to them for effectiveness in battle (not sure which war, but I believe it was WWII).

I also believe that the white hackle is issued to regiments for acts of cowardice. (The RCA had their 100 years of pennance lifted a while ago for deserting the guns - I think in the Boer war.)

As I said, open to correction on these points...

Cheers
RHC's hacle dates back from WWI

I'm not exactly sure as to how I browsed my way onto this website but whatever, its a cracking site and I'm amazed about the wealth of knowedge that is shown by contributors.
On the subject of hackles, The Royal Welch Fusiiers and the Royal Fusiliers wore a white hackel and the Northumberland Fusilers a red and white one.  If I remember correctly the Lancashire Fusiliers wore a yellow hackel and the Inniskilings an orange one.  All very colourful don't you think! but alas no more. :'(

http://houseoflabhran.net/hackle.html

Colour of the hackle was simply an identifying colour for troops on the battlefield.
Hackles were not restricted to Highland units, Many wore hackles on their Shakos & then there are the ones worn on the Bearskins..... which sort of got hijacked by the British army from the French "Imperial guard".

Referring to the original post:

I was in RHFC in high school. I don't remember details, but I do know the white hackle is a specific battle honour from WW2. I can't find any links to back that up, but I learned this on my BMQ learning the history of the unit.

geo said:
http://houseoflabhran.net/hackle.html

Colour of the hackle was simply an identifying colour for troops on the battlefield.
Hackles were not restricted to Highland units, Many wore hackles on their Shakos & then there are the ones worn on the Bearskins..... which sort of got hijacked by the British army from the French "Imperial guard".

This is the most correct answer.

Hackles don't denote battle honours or disgraces... just unit indications.

Some have strange histories and wives tales, none of which can either be confirmed or are outright false; egs.
- RHR (Black watch) have a red hackle becasue they dipped they're white hackles into the blood of their enemies (Wars of 1812): not confirmed
- HLI Had Red tipped Hackles for the same reason: Not confirmed
- Hackles were origionally rifle barrel cleaning rods stolen from dead freanch soldiers (1812) and worn in the hats of highlanders. The more they had, the more they killed: Not confirmed
- The Lorn Scots Hackle is yellow because of a battle dishonour... just not true... It's Primrose. Which was the colour chosen by the daughter of the Regiments founding Commander and is worn in her honour.

WIKI has some good info on Hackles, and I'm incline to believe their information (for once)

Some times I wonder why I know some of this useless information...  ::)

Back