• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Guy Fawkes EOD Symbol

UXOPAUL

Inactive
Reaction score
All: I am looking for information on the Guy Fawkes logo used by Canadian EOD forces. I was told this logo is copyrighted. I'm trying to find out by who and when it was copyrighted. Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul Bechtel

EOD Retired

Paul the only advice I have is maybe try checking with anyone that sells the logos. They may have the information on the copyright or be able to give you more info.

I suppose it may be copyrighted, but I've seen it so many places on so many things over the years, that if it is, it doesn't seem to be legally pursued.

Kinda like the Legion saying no one can use a picture of a poppy. ;)

"The last person to enter parliament with honest intentions was Guy Fawkes."

;D

I've got a call in to someone who has the history of the copyright written out.

My rough recollection is that it was copyrighted by some police EOD techs (Toronto maybe?) in the 70s/80s, but they then gave permission for the image to be used in association with IED, and maybe EOD/IED organizations and personnel.

Sort of if the Legion said the poppy could be used for any Remembrance Day/military commemorative function (which they haven't).

Once I get the full details I'll pass it on.

I was told that it was the Taz we had permission to use from WB who own that specific Copyright. Take that for what it' worth.

I will see if I can find my photo of the copyright.  It was framed and was on display in the ammo school in Borden before the school moved to T-119.  As I recall it is for all EOD.

AirDet said:
I was told that it was the Taz we had permission to use from WB who own that specific Copyright. Take that for what it' worth.

Taz is the mascot for all Air Weapons guys, regardless if they are EOD or not.

Guy's: I'm desperate to find this information. Someone in the States is claiming this and I know the Canadian one came first. Just need the proof.

Thanks
Paul Bechtel
EOD Retired

The International Association of Bomb Technicians gives a pretty good summary at this link - it is a reprint from a 2004 Article in the Detonator Magazine.

http://www.nvcc.edu/home/llinville/LLbomber1.htm

Summary
"The Guy Fawkes emblem was originally designed by Mr. E. Kew of Borden, Ontario, Canada.  The copyright was witnessed by Mr. Max Newhook (retired military) and Mr. Ron Madore (retired Royal Canadian Mounted Police)".  The catalog also lists the intention of the copyright as being the same as mentioned in the letter of Yves Pelletier in The DETONATOR (Vol. 23, No. 1 - Jan./Feb. 96). "[/i]
Cheers

Paul

Back