• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gut Wrenches

Never...what about Ham Steak with...dreaded Pineaple Sauce, If you like that one, then ur a good trading partner

If you will read the rest of my post, you will note that I've considerable experience with said meal.

Also, you're weak. When I get a ham steak in xxx sauce, I always gleefully discard the now unneccesary spoon to make room for more ammunition and grenades. Lightfighter all the way, you know.

Who here (besides bossi, who was Number Two on a catapult at Masada...) can recall IRPs with cans?  Your food weighed as much as your ammo. There were some jolly things in there, ho, ho. Dracula Meat.....Butter with Broken Glass....Sperm Pudding Bag. Yummy, yum, yum. BTW, are "The Lungs" still in the breakfast menu for IMPs? (The nasty omelettes...)

pbi said:
Who here (besides bossi, who was Number Two on a catapult at Masada...) can recall IRPs with cans?   Your food weighed as much as your ammo. There were some jolly things in there, ho, ho. Dracula Meat.....Butter with Broken Glass....Sperm Pudding Bag. Yummy, yum, yum. BTW, are "The Lungs" still in the breakfast menu for IMPs? (The nasty omelettes...)

Ah yes the joys of Puritan Stew or Corn Beef Hash in the litle pull tab cans. Or if you were the CQ's pet you might actually get the canned bacon which rumor has it was actually almost edible. Oh course what do i know I was only the FOO on that catapult.   8)

Best plate I ever saw in the field was actually a frisbee. I don't know where the guy got an army green frisbee but it was unbreakable and hard to spill. "I prefer to eat out of my mess tin" is what I used to say whenever I forgot to bring my melmac, or busted it.

Quote,
Who here (besides bossi, who was Number Two on a catapult at Masada...) can recall IRPs with cans?  Your food weighed as much as your ammo. There were some jolly things in there, ho, ho. Dracula Meat.....Butter with Broken Glass....Sperm Pudding Bag. Yummy, yum, yum. BTW, are "The Lungs" still in the breakfast menu for IMPs? (The nasty omelettes...)

...nothin' more fun than having cans in your pocket when doing section attacks.....down,down......OOOWWWWW!
...but the highlight of the day was picking out what was useful and what wasn't...I was lucky, I think I was the only one who loved the "instant potatoes"[with the one packet of ketchup/salt/pepper] 8)

As an ex reservist who was on my BMQ once put when boys were all complaining about the rations:

"Listen, theyre here to be eaten, not to be enjoyed."

Good old Dave.

pbi said:
Who here (besides bossi, who was Number Two on a catapult at Masada...) can recall IRPs with cans?   Your food weighed as much as your ammo. There were some jolly things in there, ho, ho. Dracula Meat.....Butter with Broken Glass....Sperm Pudding Bag. Yummy, yum, yum. BTW, are "The Lungs" still in the breakfast menu for IMPs? (The nasty omelettes...)

Like they say: time heals all wounds (and wounds all heels)... I have some fond memories of the old canned IRPs.  The bacon in particular always evokes a smile when I contemplate the dreaded omelettes.  Those were the days when a gas attack would see the ground littered with cans (best place to carry 'em: in the gas mask pouch - no "ouch" on the pepperpot attacks)  :blotto:

For those wondering. No more Lung in a Bag anymore... in fact i havent seen ham steak in a while... well.. i think they replaced the pineapple sauce with a mustard sauce...

Cheers

jmackenzie_15 said:
As an ex reservist who was on my BMQ once put when boys were all complaining about the rations:

"Listen, theyre here to be eaten, not to be enjoyed."

Good old Dave.

Here's another old saying, any idiot can be uncomfortable... if food can be made to taste good, no harm in making it taste good...

Also, any idiot can complain, but soldiers take what they are given and make the best of the situation  :p Its not like if we had whined long enough they would take us all out to subway instead.The food is here, it sucks, but it isnt supposed to be a gourmet meal so just shovel it down and get it over with and hope for better circumstances next time  :)

One thing you'll probably learn is that although it may not be professional. it is Our God Given right as soldiers to Gripe and complain.. providing its not the only thing we do........

one of those gray areas really....

Soldiers are like British restaurant customers, you only really start to worry when they stop complaining.  Remember, a real complaint is always accompanied by a real solution, "this sucks, cause!"  Is what grade school kids do and should not be confused with any real soldiers legitimate form of complaint.  Also, you can make a rat taste pretty freaking good if you put some effort into it.  Buy a spice selection from can tire, throw your bread, still bagged, into the pot, bring a paper plate or something to pour it onto, tastes a bit better if it looks better.  Try to fry those "ham steaks" and eat them like a McD sandwich between the bread.  mix the potatoes with the main meal, boil the pudding in a little water, still in the bag, mixed with hot chocolate, and if becomes a brownie.  Man those things are great.  Just make the time to do it right.

jmackenzie_15 said:
Also, any idiot can complain, but soldiers take what they are given and make the best of the situation   :p Its not like if we had whined long enough they would take us all out to subway instead.The food is here, it sucks, but it isnt supposed to be a gourmet meal so just shovel it down and get it over with and hope for better circumstances next time   :)

Actually, I think they do read those report cards in the IMP because where else did the motivation for all the new meals come from? You only have to tell a cook his meal "tastes like ass" so many times before he does something.
If you believe that hardship builds character, then the absolute best way to dine is to eat your IMP like a fat Mr. Freezie because you are out lying in the snow and you didn't put the bag in a pocket close enough to your skin to thaw it out.

J. Gayson said:
I wish our rats came with Tabasco.
I think the US ones get it is because the Family that makes Tabasco sauces  are long time Marines its thier way to support the troops in the field.

bossi said:
I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned "racing spoons" ...   ;)
I drilled a hole in the top of my racing spoon and put a hunk of 550 through it and keep it around my neck.

Back