• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone buy one of these POS?

Franko

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone buy one of these?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443119907&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396673793&bmUID=1188928646139

I bought mine about a month ago and have used it 4 times on my pathetic PMQ lawn.

You know the ones....about 20 X 20', the average PMQ lot.

Here are some of the features:

Features

* 24V cordless lawn mower
    * 17.2 Ah battery (included) capacity; 20-hour charge time and 45-60 minute run time / 10,000 sq. ft.
    * 20" (51 cm) cutting width
    * 3-in-1 functions; mulching, side discharge and rear-bagging
    * Cuts thick and long grass
    * Single lever, 6-position height adjustment
    * Includes rear bag for convenient debris collection
    * For a replacement battery, please contact the manufacturer at 1-877-888-3872
    * 7" front wheels and 8" rear wheels

I'm lucky to get about literally 5 minutes of run time after a full charge, then it can't even cut the grass...it pushes it.

Anyone have one of these and experience the same thing? It's been like this since day one...and I followed the initial charging of it to the letter.

I'm about ready to throw it at them and demand a full refund.

/rage

Regards

Wait, are you saying that you actually have grass on your Q lawn?!?!  What is THAT like?

I think you should follow your advice and throw it at them.  And forget the full refund.  Demand that and MORE!  "loyal customer, humiliation suffered by a poor lawn" etc etc  Put on your drill voice and go to town!!  ;D

We welcome your comments and suggestions and we invite you to let us know how we may serve you better by sending an email to customerservice@canadiantire.ca

You can also reach us at:

canadiantire.ca: 1-866-SHOP-CTR (1-866-746-7287)

Canadian Tire Card: 1-800-461-2800

General Inquiries: 1-800-387-8803

Sounds about par for the course. Take it back if you are not satisfied. From what I have seen, they are well practiced in accepting returned crappy items.

Earlier this summer my wife bought me an extendable brush for washing our RV. It had the following really neat features:

a. the pole would lock in the extended, but not the closed, position. However, it had a nasty habit of unlocking during scrubbing while extended.

b. the brush itself would unscrew from the pole if any sort of rotation was applied, you know, like a scrubbing motion.

c. instead of having a channel across the span of the brush to distribute the water through the bristles, the water flowed out the centre of the brush, thus avoiding undue wear and tear on the bristles while performing admirably as a rotating lawn sprinkler (see b. above).

d. the hose connection would also unscrew while I was scrubbing. This allowed me to become soaked from several directions at the same time.

All this was discovered the first and only time I used it. After I exchanged my wet clothes for a dry ensemble, I visited our local Canadian Tire emporium where the staff accepted the brush and gave me a credit voucher. Note that I had to wait in line as there were some other exchangers ahead of me with a variety of products.

I purchased a Lee Valley reel mower for my little patch of green, and have been pleasntly surprised.  Perfect for yor little "somewhere that's green"

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10190&cat=2,2160,51170&ap=1

I feel your pain Recce By Death. I got a Jobmate cordless weed whacker. I'm lucky to get 10 minutes out of it. But I only paid 20ish for it.

I was eyeing your model lawn mower before at Crappy Tire. But I now have the CANEX specail for only $20 a month from my pay. Works like a charm. Gas of course.

Best of Luck with your mower deal,
Regards,
TN2IC

We have a cordless lawnmower too!  And gasless, chargeless.... ;)

I have a good buddy who manages a Canadian Tire and I check with him before buying any big ticket items...the one piece of advice he gave was to stay the hell away from any of the Siminoz products especially the pressure washers which have a very high failure rate. Throughout this summer they were getting at least 3-4 a week returned after only a couple of days of use...this is in a rather small town.

Recce By Death said:
Anyone buy one of these?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443119907&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396673793&bmUID=1188928646139

I bought mine about a month ago and have used it 4 times on my pathetic PMQ lawn.

You know the ones....about 20 X 20', the average PMQ lot.

Here are some of the features:

I'm lucky to get about literally 5 minutes of run time after a full charge, then it can't even cut the grass...it pushes it.

Anyone have one of these and experience the same thing? It's been like this since day one...and I followed the initial charging of it to the letter.

I'm about ready to throw it at them and demand a full refund.

/rage

Regards

Glad you warned us...I've been letting my old one die...it's a Canadian Tin model but a gas one....Mastercraft...and doesn't seem to want to die. It's the model pictured on the front of their Motomaster Lawn Mower oil container...the exact same model. I want to upgrade to a self propelled one as the property I bought here in Dartmouth has a nasty hill to mow...more power AR AR AR!!

Why would you get a battery powered anything when there's a rideable alternative?

Bad tanker.  Very bad tanker.

Shamrock said:
Why would you get a battery powered anything when there's a rideable alternative?

Bad tanker.  Very bad tanker.

I know....why carry your kit when your kit can carry you, but it's the only exercise I get!        ;)

Tell you what, first ex with the new panzers and I'll get a "Death before Dismount" challenge on the go.

Regards

I have a good buddy who manages a Canadian Tire and I check with him before buying any big ticket items...the one piece of advice he gave was to stay the hell away from any of the Siminoz products especially the pressure washers which have a very high failure rate. Throughout this summer they were getting at least 3-4 a week returned after only a couple of days of use...this is in a rather small town.

The crappy extendable brush was a Siminoz product.

Old Sweat said:

The crappy extendable brush was a Siminoz product.

Had to return the wand on mine two days after purchase. Used it about six times last summer. Drained it and did all the winter maint on it, pulled it out this spring and it worked for ten minutes before shredding it's pump guts out. Anyone need a boat anchor? Either that or it goes to the range next week for some target practice. ;D

I bought a similar device last yr, and have had absolutely no problems with it.

Could your problems be a result of the 2% rule?

But seriously, Yardworks as a product line is crap, I feel fortunate my mower is working at all.

I've got a 25ish old Briggs & Stratton engined mower my Dad bought from Crappy Tire, oil checked every year, even with the old gas in it from the year before, pull the cord and away she goes with a bang and a squeal, can't say the same thing for the 'new' mower we bought for when the old one conks out, which doesn't seem like it's gonna happen. They don't make em like they used to. Oh, and it was made in Canada.  :cdn: We use a Simonoz pressure washer at work to clean the store shelves, and man is it a piece of crap, something else breaks every week.

Speaking of CT big-ticket items, I bought one of those Red Mobility Scooters for my wife for 899.00 and ended up trading it in for another due to the circuit board going u/s within a month. The second one shorted out in the house (on the carpet I might add) where there was a chance of a spark. This is not a good thing as a spark residue may smoulder for hours before it's noticed and since there is an issue of mobility with my wife = not a good thing.!

After voicing displeasure/concern re: this product the company gave us a full refund and said we could keep the scooter after it was repaired by company.
Like yous all say  POS..!!!!    :brickwall:

In summary,  :eek: these things now sell for around 499.00..!!! 

If you got the battery mower to save on gas go and get a reel mower.  Super easy to sharpen, and usually only needs to be done in the spring.  No more files and losing your fillings from the sound.  Throw on a lapping solution and wind it for 10 minutes max.

I love my Lee Valley model.  The only down-side is that is doesn't mulch.

I had heard Reel Mowers were hard to sharpen, and in Saskatoon - there's only one place that will do a good job for you... so never got one.

On another note - my dad relayed this story to me on the day he sold the ole beast - the mower that I pushed as a young guy trying to earn a few bucks....

When my folks got married, Dad went down to Sears, and bought this green, gas-powered mower by - I believe - Craftsman (Lifetime Warranty on all Craftsman products - by the way) for $50.  Well, back then $50 was a lot of money, and Dad figured if everything was that expensive, there was no way in hell he'd ever be able to afford good tools, a nice home, and a family.  That was in the early 70s.  Countless oil changes, many blade sharpenings, oh it even had an engine rebuild...

ENGINE REBUILD STORY INSERTION:  Short version: Basically, I pushed the mower over a big-ass rock to see what would happen... I sheared off the top of the boulder, threw the timing off, and slammed the piston into - ? - not gonna lie, it was a long time ago, and I'm not mechanically adept (the sound of it was AWESOME by the way!)

Finally, in the late 90's dad decided to spoil himself.  He bought a new mower - Troybilt - I believe, at DEALER COST it was $800, it practically mows the lawn itself while pouring you a frosty one, and he uses it on a TINY patch of earth. 

What happened to that Craftsman?  Well, the mower had served us well for 25 years, it really owed us nothing.  Dad listed it in the local paper, "25yo Craftsman 3.5HP Gas Mower.  Offers."  One young man, just starting his life with a wife, and house, came over to check it out.  Dad showed him how to start the bloody thing (2-4 pulls on full throttle (to prime), and 2-4 on 3/4 (so you don't flood it) - the damn thing will even start on one pull when it's warm!  The young guy bought it from my dad, within a day or two of the mower's 25th anniversary with my family...

... for $50.

tlm.

Love that story! +1. I wonder if his new one will sell for $800 in 25 years?  ;)

Back