• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Governor General‘s Foot Guard (Ottawa)

Oh, if you can bring along an extra Carl Gustav when you join up, I am sure the Regiment will be most appreciative. ;-)
I have heard bits and pieces of this story but never the whole thing. It goes that during a summer EX the Guards "forgot" a Carl G in a training area in one version of the story and on the side of the road after a breakdown in another version of the story.

Hence the unit‘s nickname Gustav Gone For Good

If I‘m wrong on these points someone sort me out please.

That‘s more or less the story I heard as well.

GGFG also stands for Good God, Forgot the Gustav!

Hello all,

went for my CFAT on Monday. Apparently I qualified for all the trades that I chose  :D
Going for my medical/interview on the 29th.
I am soo pumped! :)

Anyone else around here joining the Res. F GGFG's here in Ottawa?

--Lucas

I would love to join the guards, but I am only 15 right now. I am going to go see a recruiter tomorrow, but i think I might be able to apply after July 1st because you have to "turn 16 prior to 1 July in the year of enrolment." I can ask the recruiter tomorrow, but is it hard to get into the summer ceremonial program, and do you need to do your BMQ beforehand?

Thanks, and good luck everyone,
Nicolas

Nick,

you may want to get in touch directly with the GGFG recruiting NCM. His name is MCpl Mallis. You can reach him at 889-0120. He's answered all my questions. He'll have all the GGFG-specific information you'll need. Though I do know that before you can do Guard duty, you have to have completed BMQ. Then while doing Guard duty you can do  BIQ, I believe. Or at least that is what I have been told. That's what I'm trying to do this summer. I'd like to be fully trained by the end of the summer.

However, you also have an issue: you have to turn 16 BEFORE July 1st on year of enrollment, as it says. Therefore, I'm afraid you may not be able to apply this year. :( Give it a go, though.

Good luck.

Rice0031 said:
Nick,

you may want to get in touch directly with the GGFG recruiting NCM. His name is MCpl Mallis. You can reach him at 889-0120. He's answered all my questions. He'll have all the GGFG-specific information you'll need. Though I do know that before you can do Guard duty, you have to have completed BMQ. Then while doing Guard duty you can do  BIQ, I believe. Or at least that is what I have been told. That's what I'm trying to do this summer. I'd like to be fully trained by the end of the summer.

However, you also have an issue: you have to turn 16 BEFORE July 1st on year of enrollment, as it says. Therefore, I'm afraid you may not be able to apply this year. :( Give it a go, though.

Good luck.

Thank You for the Information Rice, I will contact MCpl Mallis for all my questions regarding the Guards.  I also do realise that I will not be able to apply this year. I will have to apply after July 1st 2006, then my birthday is in January 2007, and I will be 16 before July 1st 2007 (if you understand that). I would ideally like to be doing Guard Duty summer of 2007 because Summer of 2008 I might be applying to RMC and if I get accepted, then I do not think I will have time to do Guard Duty in the summer, as you leave earlier to do some training for RMC.

Again, Thank You for Helping me out,
Nicolas Cole

Sounds like you got a plan. Sounds like a good one too. Good luck with RMC. Glad to help.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone in the guards could tell me if the guards has a boxing association, because I've boxed before and i would find it a lot more exciting if i could do both  ;)

thank you.

Kid_Recruit said:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone in the guards could tell me if the guards has a boxing association, because I've boxed before and i would find it a lot more exciting if i could do both  ;)

thank you.

According to your profile, you are with the Guards so why don't you ask at your unit?  ::)

scoutfinch said:
According to your profile, you are with the Guards so why don't you ask at your unit?   ::)

I am a recruit, I haven't gone on parade yet and I'm not supposed attend until after BMQ this summer. :-\

I was in the Guards, before I went over to the dark side.  It's a good unit, very demanding.

Oh yeah Sgt. Gagnon was Lt. Gagnon last time I was there.  He took his commission.

Cheers :salute:

Hi, this is my first posting so please bear with me.  Looking for info re-enlisting with GGFG.  My youngest son (currently 15, turning 16 Jan 07) is interested and requested I look-up the proceedures and processes involved.

A little history.  My father, (Major. G.J. Fortier, Ret'd) from GGFG and still is involved with the association. He is a former RSM as well.  I spent a few years in my youth with The Guards and attained the rank of Cpl., so there's a definite involvement from this family.

Any information would be greatfully appreciated.

Up The Guards.

John Fortier

JJLowes48 said:
Hi, this is my first posting so please bear with me.  Looking for info re-enlisting with GGFG.  My youngest son (currently 15, turning 16 Jan 07) is interested and requested I look-up the proceedures and processes involved.

A little history.  My father, (Major. G.J. Fortier, Ret'd) from GGFG and still is involved with the association. He is a former RSM as well.  I spent a few years in my youth with The Guards and attained the rank of Cpl., so there's a definite involvement from this family.

Any information would be greatfully appreciated.

Up The Guards.

John Fortier

The best possible people to give you the most correct and update information is the unit itself.

MP 811 said:
no...the GGFG is a reserve infantry regiment as as such, infantry would be the combat arm trade for that unit.  Look for an armoured reserve or artillery unit for the other two combat arms.

other TWO combat arms????

I'm insulted! You obviously left the best trade of them all out because deep down you wish you were a Sapper....

Synthos said:
other TWO combat arms????

I'm insulted! You obviously left the best trade of them all out because deep down you wish you were a Sapper....

;D

There are not any "other TWO combat arms????"  There are only two Combat Arms, then there are the Combat Support Arms, and then the Combat Service Support Arms.  Sappers are sandwiched in the middle, feeling all nice and cuddly.

;D

..? That's painted on our wall at my -combat engineer- unit :p

Anyways a Recce doesn't look for a fight. We let the infantry at them!

Back