• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Governor General‘s Foot Guard (Ottawa)

E

Entr0py

Are there any trades available within the GGFG other than Infanteer? Specifically other combat arms? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

no...the GGFG is a reserve infantry regiment as as such, infantry would be the combat arm trade for that unit. Look for an armoured reserve or artillery unit for the other two combat arms.

Thank you, I wasn‘t very sure if there were any other options.

Is anybody in this reserve unit? On what nights do you train? What are the exercises like? Are you pleased with this unit? Are there advanced courses given by this unit, like i dont know para chute courses etc...Any other information would be very helpfull.

Thx a million!

y2k
soon to be

I‘m almost finished my BMQ to join the Guards so I can only answer a few of your questions.

Regular parade nights are on Tuesday. Advanced courses are available.

If you are interested you can also go Ceremonial Guard in the summer where you wear the bearskin hats and scarlet tunics. I personally am spending my summer getting MOC trained but to each his own.

Met a GGFG Sergeant by the name of Sean Gagnon at AASAM in Brisbane, who was a member of the CF shootig team in Australia in Nov 2002, and hopefully he‘ll be beck in 2004.

Cheers,

Wes

Sgt Gagnon won the Queen‘s Medal for top shot (Reservist) in August at Connaught.

Good on Sean! I cant forget him, and he wont forget me either. His kit bag was chock-a-block full of Aussie things and he gave me his ultra shined parade boots, which I have here and use with our service dress.

Please pass on my regards to him, and that I hope he makes it out to AASAM again this year.

Cheers,

Wes

http://www.army.dnd.ca/GGFG/index_e.asp

The DND updated their site for the Guards, has some good recruiting information.

Hope the GGFG enjoy the Bren Gun Carrier the RCD restored this past year. It is being dedicated soon I think.

Regards

No. The team and I gutted it for parts, which was the agreement. The RCD carrier should be up and running by the end of the summer.

Regards

Hey y2k, are you done your testing yet?
Beacause I applying for that unit to. I have my appitude test to do on the 30th.

well i just have to do my pt and then sit and wait. I workout 5 times a week and have been jogging so much lately im actually starting to like it. I like lookin back on my route then sayin holy crap i jogged all that!?!? hehe. Just a tip for your aptitude. Make sure your math, verbal and spatial skills r good cuz its not too easy. Good luck though and hope to see ya there!

Oh, if you can bring along an extra Carl Gustav when you join up, I am sure the Regiment will be most appreciative. ;-)

hahahah.... "Gustav Gone For Good!"

Although, I never did hear the full story behind that.

Wes,
There is also a Universal Carrier with the Windsor Regiment. Completely restored last year and a runner.

Excellent! There is a runner out at the infantry Museum in Singleton too. Used in parades etc.

Cheers,

Wes

Back