• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gortex Issue

AlphaCharlie

Inactive
Reaction score
I forgot to ask my QM guy when I made my appointment, but what I do I need to hand in to get my Gortex issued gear (i.e. thermals, jacket etc)?

As far as I know, it's just a jacket and socks that are made of Gortex, plus the bivvie bag of course. Just bring in your combat coat and that should be good. I'm not sure if the army has new parkas like the airforce ones but you could bring that too.  I'll let an army type confirm this info.

Cheers

I actually didn't bring anything in when I did my IECS issue, nor did they ask for anything. However, the items are still on my clothing docs, I'm going to bring some of it in to get rid of it. Give your QM rep a call, he'll be more than happy to tell you.

I just got an appointment to get my new gortex stuff and I was told to bring in my 4 seasons (combat jacket) w/ liner and the fuzzy liner. He also said that if I had the parka and/or green sweater with the black shoulders i should bring those in too. Just bring in whatever you know/think will be replaced, it's always better to bring more than less, just incase they require that you hand in the old stuff.

- Pte Gremlin

When I was issued my IECS/CadPat, they didn't ask me to turn in any of the old kit. I have since howver turned in any of the kit that has *actually* outlived it's usefulness with the issue of the IECS. I hung on to a few things, combat sweater, old style wind pants, old olive drab uniform, though that's about it.

I'd hand in anything you think they are going to replace....
When I went in to get my new stuff I didn't take anything with me, so I then had to make trips back to the QM to return old kit. I suggest just doing it in one trip, saves time, money and gas...

You may as well turn in your old kit for the ICE/IECS stuff...it goes to the cadets/Rangers, and it just fills up your closet with a bunch of crap you'll never use...

...with one notable exception. Not everyone will agree with me, but the old trigger mitts are far superior (IMO) to the combat glove & liner. You can waterproof them to an extent, and they keep your hands a lot warmer. I used them up north a fair bit., and used them as my lightweight alternative to the 'mitts, dopey'. Unless you're dealing with extreme cold, or very cold and wet environments, stog a pair of those in your butt pack and you won't be sorry. 

Based on personal experience, I would add another piece of kit to Acorn's "don't give it up unless you have to" post.  My strong advice is to keep your old single-layer Wind-Pants.  The IECS/ICE Goretex replacements are OK if all you do is stand around in the rain/cold.  Unfortunately, the triple layered construction makes the new trousers a portable sauna if you actually have to exert yourself.  Like the combat jacket, the IECS/ICE trousers do not "breathe" at all. 

I made the mistake of wearing my IECS trousers for the first time on a fighting patrol in the Yukon.  I had to stop mid-route and take them off because I was sweating insanely.  As soon as I got back to Edmonton, I went out and bought myself a surplussed pair of the old Wind-Pants to use on Winter operations.  When the temperature is below freezing and getting wet is not an issue, the old trousers are far superior to the IECS/ICE version. 

Just a bit of experience-based advice.....

I make it my mission to reduce the amount of kit I have occupying space in my house.

When I was told to draw Goretex/IECS, I saw the amount of stuff they gave me (fleece top/bottom x 2, goretex coat, goretex parka, goretex wind pants, long underwear top, "new" underwear... they didn't have long underwear bottoms for me, plus the CWW boots, and x5 each type of socks), I knew I had to get rid of some of the junk I'd never wear that I had from my basic kit issue.

I gave up the old style wooley sweater, the 4-seasons coat and liner... and geez, I think that was it.  I didn't have the old-style wind pants.

So, I still lost the kit battle, since they gave me more than I gave back.

And now I've got to pack all this crap for fall pre-deployment training, just to dump it all before (possibly) going to a hot desert for six months, where I'll never need a fleece or long underwear!

Err...

While I'm happy to see a fellow reservist snag a tour overseas, you really should start doing a little reading in before you go making any clothing assumptions.

I've never been where you're going (I'm surmising that you're going to Afghanistan), but I know lots of friends who have, and I've done enough reading to know that it gets pretty bloody cold there at night and during certain times of the year. Think about the altitude, dude. Also, while it does get extremely hot there during the day in summer, I have heard that there are significant temperature drops at night. So, even though it's still 15 degrees C outside, if you're used to temps in the 40's-50's, you'll be wishing you packed that fleece.

If you don't believe me, check these sites out:

http://countrystudies.us/afghanistan/35.htm
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/af.html#Geo
http://www.settlement.org/cp/english/afghanistan/landclim.html

I'll say again that I've never been there, and that this is just stuff that I've read about, and heard from friends. If you do wind up getting the green light for this, you'll have reams of people who've actually been there telling you this.

Mark C said:
I made the mistake of wearing my IECS trousers for the first time on a fighting patrol in the Yukon.   I had to stop mid-route and take them off because I was sweating insanely.   As soon as I got back to Edmonton, I went out and bought myself a surplussed pair of the old Wind-Pants to use on Winter operations.   When the temperature is below freezing and getting wet is not an issue, the old trousers are far superior to the IECS/ICE version.  

Refrence the IECS trousers, are you referring to the "snowpants" sort of item, or the wind pants replacement? As I haven't actually gotten around to wearing either yet, but just from looking at the new wind pants, I can see that they would be rather warm, particularly if you're doing much moving.

if your willing to part with your own cash to buy some nice insulating layers, I recommend some products made by Snugpak, try these sites. Cheapier to mail order over the net then to find in in the US, not sure about Canada prices. do some searches, some retail outlets are cheapier then others, not sure about Canada, but in the US we don't have to pay VAT so ask for the 18% discount, as most all UK sites have the 18% VAT added, not all shops will offer the VAT discount, if they don't try others. I can give a name of a well know shop in the UK if people ask, they do a great job, and I never had to deal with the customs fees either.  Again not sure about the UK to Canada route, so check it out.

http://www.snugpak.com/codegreen/index.php4

Or these folks:
The Buffalo stuff is great stuff, I highly recommend them for cold wet weather, I perfer it over Gore's Windstopper fleece.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/

Both compaines make a nice OD green for military use  :warstory: and offer the typical colors for civilian use.

The windshirts are great, super compact and lightweight and do a gre at job, both the lined and unlined versions, I've used the lined versions down around 15F (not counting wind chill) by itself with no other base or outer layer and was warm and dry.

The Pertex shell of the windshirt (lined and unlined versions) is rated to stop upto 60 mph wind.
The unlined Pertex shells are great for adding over the top of any fleece to make it totally wind proof to close to 60 mph wind. and nice for mild weather under BDU's or Combats.

Worth checking into if nothing else then for the info. 

I agree with the guy that said to do some homework as to where your going.

I've been in weather from 70F below 0 in Korea and Norway to 129F plus in the desert, I'm not saying I'm an expert, I learned the hard way how to stay (or try to stay) warm, still learning....  and the first to admit I don't know it all by a long shot.  But you'd be supprised how cold the 50-60 degrees at night is when the days get over 130.  Or how warm 15F feels after 40F below for a while, weird stuff.  Given time the body can adapt to drastic weather, but it's the sudden and wide changes that will mess up up.

But then you guy in Canada know nasty weather....

Back