• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Going Home

2011Applicant

Inactive
Reaction score
First off, I apologize if this is the wrong board for this topic, but I figure it's about as good as any.
Secondly, I live near London, ON. I'm going to be attending CMR St-Jean next year, and I was wondering about the most cost effective/fastest/either or, way of getting home for holidays and such.
I've looked into planes, trains, and automobiles.
So far what I've come up with is flying into Windsor from Montreal, then taking a train to London from there for about $550-650 (500-600 for plane, 45 for train) and a total travel time of roughly 4 hours.
Also looked into taking a train from Montreal to Stratford, which would be about $110 and 7.5 hours each way, or to London which would be about 8.5 hours and $125 each way.
Last, and definitely least, the dreaded Greyhound. This will take at minimum 11 hours. This will cost about $90 with student discount, or $120 with Military discount.

This is just the research I've put into this. If there are other methods which someone could maybe share with me, it would be greatly appreciated. I understand that being away from home is one of the aspects of being in the military, but it would absolutely be nice to be able to come home and visit with my family.
Also note that travel times are each way, as well as the price of the flight. Train/bus fares are each way.

You'll get reimbursed for travel expenses home, so I wouldn't really worry about it.  Its on the government's dime, so I would take the easiest form of transportation.

2011Applicant said:
First off, I apologize if this is the wrong board for this topic, but I figure it's about as good as any.
Secondly, I live near London, ON. I'm going to be attending CMR St-Jean next year, and I was wondering about the most cost effective/fastest/either or, way of getting home for holidays and such.
I've looked into planes, trains, and automobiles.
So far what I've come up with is flying into Windsor from Montreal, then taking a train to London from there for about $550-650 (500-600 for plane, 45 for train) and a total travel time of roughly 4 hours.
Also looked into taking a train from Montreal to Stratford, which would be about $110 and 7.5 hours each way, or to London which would be about 8.5 hours and $125 each way.
Last, and definitely least, the dreaded Greyhound. This will take at minimum 11 hours. This will cost about $90 with student discount, or $120 with Military discount.

This is just the research I've put into this. If there are other methods which someone could maybe share with me, it would be greatly appreciated. I understand that being away from home is one of the aspects of being in the military, but it would absolutely be nice to be able to come home and visit with my family.
Also note that travel times are each way, as well as the price of the flight. Train/bus fares are each way.

So?  What is your problem?  You have priced everything out.  You have researched the "Travel Time".  Now all you need to do is decide how much time you want to spend at home, and how much time the CF is giving you to do so.  That, along with your Bank Acct, will determine which course action you will likely have to take.

ringknocker82 said:
You'll get reimbursed for travel expenses home, so I wouldn't really worry about it.  Its on the government's dime, so I would take the easiest form of transportation.

Once a year.  Not every weekend.

George Wallace said:
This makes more sense.

In regards to your previous post, I was just opening it up here in case someone could think of any other options. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought I might as well try.
If the Gov't reimburses travel once a year, that might make it easier too, as I could then fly right into London as opposed to catching planes and trains willy-nilly, and hoping the schedules were close enough together.
Unless of course this would also apply to my initial travel to St-Jean this summer.

George Wallace said:

I don't know what it's like now, but when I was at RMC, they reimbursed us for all major holidays and summer vacation. I think it's because RMC is considered a temporary posting, but I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Other option:  Montreal: Fly Porter to Island airport.  Free shuttle to Union Station.  Train to London.

ringknocker82 said:
I don't know what it's like now, but when I was at RMC, they reimbursed us for all major holidays and summer vacation. I think it's because RMC is considered a temporary posting, but I'm not sure if this is still the case.
How would I find this out for sure? Recruiting Centre I suppose, right?

dapaterson said:
Other option:  Montreal: Fly Porter to Island airport.  Free shuttle to Union Station.  Train to London.
Any idea on travel time? Or cost?
Or at least somewhere I can get more information lol.

2011Applicant said:
How would I find this out for sure? Recruiting Centre I suppose, right?

There is no need to check up on it, you only get LTA (Leave Travel Assistance) once a year.  I don't know how they did it in the past, but that is certainly the case now.

MJP said:
There is no need to check up on it, you only get LTA (Leave Travel Assistance) once a year.  I don't know how they did it in the past, but that is certainly the case now.
Ahh, good enough I guess. Thanks.

2011Applicant said:
Any idea on travel time? Or cost?
Or at least somewhere I can get more information lol.

http://www.flyporter.com  http://viarail.ca

Porter has fairly regular seat sales at 30% off; you can probably fly to Island airport for about $300 or so return.  Flight is about an hour.  Give yourself an hour to get your luggage, take the ferry and the shuttle bus to Union to catch your train.

And I would be remiss if I neglected to mention the complimentary drinks on Porter.

(It is also a good idea to join the Porter and VIA rail frequent travel clubs.  Plus VIA rail gives military members a 25% discount year round - use the discount code 12070 if you are booking on the website.)

dapaterson said:
http://www.flyporter.com  http://viarail.ca

Porter has fairly regular seat sales at 30% off; you can probably fly to Island airport for about $300 or so return.  Flight is about an hour.  Give yourself an hour to get your luggage, take the ferry and the shuttle bus to Union to catch your train.

And I would be remiss if I neglected to mention the complimentary drinks on Porter.

(It is also a good idea to join the Porter and VIA rail frequent travel clubs.  Plus VIA rail gives military members a 25% discount year round - use the discount code 12070 if you are booking on the website.)

Thanks so much!

You could also fly Bearskin Airlines from Montreal to Waterloo Regional (I'm not too sure about transportation from Waterloo to London though). The flights are pretty frequent into Waterloo.

If you know a couple of buddies going the same way, look into renting a car and splitting the cost. I've done this once or twice and gives you the flexibility of being on your own schedule. Montreal to London isn't too bad to drive. Of course with gas these days, well... might be cheaper to fly.

WestCoaster said:
If you know a couple of buddies going the same way, look into renting a car and splitting the cost. I've done this once or twice and gives you the flexibility of being on your own schedule. Montreal to London isn't too bad to drive. Of course with gas these days, well... might be cheaper to fly.
Thought of this briefly too, then realized I'd rather travel for ~3 hours rather than 9+
Plus yes, the cost of gas is outrageous. If I based coming home purely on the price of gas, I'd probably never go back.

WestCoaster said:
If you're going to rent and you're under 25, some companies will waive the extra fee for government employees. Be sure to ask.

Keep in mind that Leave Travel Assistance (LTA) is not necessarily 100%.  The maximum payable is calculated by using the round trip road distance (in accordance with the Canadian Distance Guide), less 800km, times the appropriate kilometric rate.

For example,  St-Jean to London is:

771km x 2 =1542km - 800km = 742km x 0.56 = $415.52 (total payable).

If you drive, this is what you will receive.  If a bunch of you drive, this is what one of you will receive (i.e. you don't each get to claim the full amount).  If you take any form of commercial transportation, you will receive either this amount or the actual amount you paid, whichever is less.  LTA does not normally cover accommodations and never covers food.  However, you can include taxis, buses, etc used to get to and from the airport, bus station, etc.

So say I got lucky enough to find 4 or 5 people to rent a car with.
What I understand from what you said is that we would each get $415.52?
That would certainly be the cheapest way I would think. Since we'd have $1662.08 to work with.
I know that in my car, I get roughly.. 10L per ~100km. Let's round up to 800km trip, 80L roughly. Price of gas being 1.36 or so. That's $108.80 each way.
Can we pocket the rest of the money, or do we have to give back extra? Cause we'd each still have about $300 left, depending on how often we stop to eat.

2011Applicant said:
So say I got lucky enough to find 4 or 5 people to rent a car with.
What I understand from what you said is that we would each get $415.52?
That would certainly be the cheapest way I would think. Since we'd have $1662.08 to work with.
I know that in my car, I get roughly.. 10L per ~100km. Let's round up to 800km trip, 80L roughly. Price of gas being 1.36 or so. That's $108.80 each way.
Can we pocket the rest of the money, or do we have to give back extra? Cause we'd each still have about $300 left, depending on how often we stop to eat.

Stacked correctly answered the first part of your question.  Word to the wise, if you want to be successful in the CF, be sure to read and follow instructions.  Nuff said.

The kilometric rate is negotiated through the National Joint Council and is based on the total cost of operating an average motor vehicle.  In other words, it's not just about fuel.  It's supposed to cover insurance, wear and tear, etc.  In theory, it's reimbursement for expenses incurred (and hence, is non-taxable).  No, you do not have to return any of the surplus (in theory, there is no surplus).  Keep in mind though that if you are in an accident, you are completely on your own.  This is true on LTA, temporary duty (with your own vehicle), move on posting, etc.

Okay, I understand now.
Must have just read it wrong.
And upon reading what you said again, it makes perfect sense.
My apologies!

Back