• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG presents decorations, 26 March 2008

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Rare honour: Gov. Gen. presents military valour decorations
Tim Shufelt, Canwest News Service  Published: Wednesday, March 26, 2008

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=401525

OTTAWA -- Applauding the courage of Canada's military in Afghanistan, Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean presented military valour decorations Wednesday morning, the first such presentation in 13 years.

In a ceremony at Rideau Hall attended by Gen. Rick Hillier, Canada's chief of defence staff, the Governor General presented one Star of Military Valour -- to Maj. David Quick of the Royal Canadian Regiment -- and four medals of Military Valour, including three to soldiers stationed in Petwawa, for their gallantry and devotion to duty in combat.

The medals of Military Valour were awarded to:

• Pte. Shane Aaron Bradley Dolmovic: Petawawa, Ont. and Cottlesville, N.L.;

• Cpl. Dave Gionet: Petawawa, Ont. and Pigeon-Hill, N.B.;

• Sgt. Gerald Alexander Killam: Oromocto, N.B. and Dartmouth, N.S.;

• Pte. Jay James Renaud: Petawawa and Tilbury, Ont.

"Canada's military involvement in Afghanistan has thrust you into the deadliest combat situations since the Korean war," she said. "And no matter what the circumstances, you must draw upon your courage, your calm initiative and ingenuity, but also on your compassion, because you are there to help men, women, children and communities.

"I have no doubt that history has and will remember the vital role you have played in making a difference and in bringing peace, justice and stability to our world."

There were also eight meritorious service crosses and 23 meritorious service medals presented.

Gen. Hillier said the Afghanistan war is "placing extraordinary demands on our soldiers, our sailors, our airmen and women who execute these missions for us.

"The individuals who receive their military valour decorations here today have experienced, I know, some of the most demanding days of their lives - physical and emotional stresses of the most difficult kind, some unimaginable," he said. "You've marked a new chapter in our military history."

Other winners included:

Meritorious Service Cross (Military Division)

• Chief Warrant Officer Mark Leslie Baisley: Oromocto and Newcastle, N.B.

• Chief Warrant Officer Wayne Alan Bartlett: Meaford, Ont., and Saint John, N.B.

• Master Warrant Officer William Alan Bolen: Denwood, Alta.

• Col. Wayne Donald Eyre: Ottawa, Ont. and Wadena, Sask.

• Warrant Officer Ian Long: Edmonton, Alta.

• Master Warrant Officer Wayne Francis O'Toole: Oromocto, N.B., and St. John's, N.L.

• Major Alexander Thomas Ruff: Oromocto and Lincoln, N.B. and Tara, Ont.

• Lt.-Col. Robert Daren Keith Walker: Kingston, Ont., Fredericton, N.B. and North Battleford, Sask.

Meritorious Service Medal (Military Division)

• Col. Peter Gerald Abbott: Belleville, Ont. and Comox, Courtenay and Richmond, B.C.

• Commander Steven Albert Bell: Ottawa and Collingwood, Ont.

• Lt.-Col. David Brian Berry: Victoria and Comox, B.C., and St. Catharines, Ont.

• Warrant Officer Jules Joseph Jean Berube: Courcelette, St-Redempteur and St-Jean-Chrysostome, Que.

• Colonel Stephen Joseph Bowes: Oromocto, N.B. and Bedford, N.S.

• Major Thomas Bradley: Edmonton and Lancaster Park, Alta.

• Master Warrant Officer William John Crabb: Edmonton, Alta. and Summerside, P.E.I.

• Major Marc G. Diamond: McChord Air Force Base and Spanaway, Washington, U.S.A. and Vankleek Hill, Ont.

• Corp. Matthew John David Elliott: Oromocto, N.B. and Halifax, N.S.

• Major Richard William R. Goodyear: Petawawa, Ont. and Main Point, N.L

• Major Steven Geoffrey Graham: Petawawa, Ont. and Winnipeg, Man.

• Warrant Officer Eric Richard Green: Whitehorse, Y.T., and Heart's Content Trinity Bay, N.L.

• Sgt. Abdoul Amtou Guindo: Ottawa, Ont.

• Col. Joseph Jean Rene Guy Hamel: Ottawa, Ont. and Levis, Que.

• Warrant Officer James Adam Hunter: Springhill, N.S.

• Master Warrant Officer Stephen Goward Jeans: Oromocto and Haneytown, N.B. and Cape Ray, N.L.

• Lieut. Paul Joseph Ernest Lavigne: Ottawa, Ont. and Saskatoon, Sask.

• Corporal Brett James Lovelace: Oromocto, N.B. and Orillia, Ont.

• Commodore Paul Andrew Maddison: Ottawa, Ont.

• Master Warrant Officer William Alan Richards: Petawawa, Ont. and St. Stephen, N.B.

• Rear-Admiral Joseph Alphonse Denis Rouleau: Ottawa, Ont. and Quebec, Que.

• Corp. James Michael Ryan: Oromocto and Fredericton, N.B. and St. John's, N.L.

• Col. Richard Geoffrey St. John: Ottawa, Ont.

Anyone else think this should be better avertised?

I never seen anything on the news about it.

Well done gent's.Well deserved.

X-mo-1979 said:
Anyone else think this should be better avertised?

I never seen anything on the news about it.

When it comes to decorations, the first two 'batches' were announced on the TV News, with the ceremony for the two being shown live. After that, I haven't heard a thing about any medals, being awarded, nor presented.
It isn't even mentioned when those involved are being awarded for their heroic actions, but when someone steals a car in front of mounties on camera.. front page, international headlines.  :mad:

Midget

GG's website announced the ceremony through a Media Release on 20 Mar 08. See her website at: http://www.gg.ca/media/doc.asp?lang=e&DocID=5317

This was front page news on the Ottawa Citizen today.

Congrats to all!

:salute:

Applauding the courage of Canada's military in Afghanistan, Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean presented military valour decorations Wednesday morning, the first such presentation in 13 years.

I wonder why ...

Do you expect accurate reporting from the National Post? (You can't believe everything you read) the previous ceremony at Rideau Hall was on 12 Oct 07: http://www.gg.ca/media/doc.asp?lang=e&DocID=5196

The Ottawa Citizen reported it incorrectly as the second occasion. 

In fact it was the fifth ceremony, others took place in addition to 12 Oct 07, on 28 June 07 - CSOR soldiers - no names released, 24 June 07 and 15 Feb 07 (reported as first-ever) http://www.gg.ca/media/doc.asp?lang=e&DocID=4976

Intersting article in today's Ottawa Citizen.  If someone could find the link and post it, it's worth reading.  Excerpts:

Defence chief praises new breed of 'war heroes'; Governor General presents soldiers with decorations for actions in combat

The lone Star of Military Valour went to Maj. Quick for leading his men in India Company through several close combat situations without a single casualty.

Before the ceremony, Maj. Quick said that while the decoration was "a wonderful honour," he was ambivalent about being singled out for recognition.

"I'm pretty overwhelmed by it. I wouldn't say I walked away feeling super happy about everything that happened to me and the horrors that go with it."

He said his pride in his own accomplishments was mixed with enormous gratitude for the soldiers he led, sadness for the families of those Canadians who did not make it home and an abhorrence for the dark realities of combat, he said.

"I'm pretty assertive, but how aggressive I can be, and how vicious I had become at times, those are things I was shocked about and still deal with today as the kind of things I'm not necessarily proud of. There are things about myself I wish I didn't know."

Once the fight was over, however, he said he felt only compassion for the dead and wounded enemies.

Link to Ott Citizen article: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=55af993a-734c-4510-977a-b366cfeaa889&k=74433  If link does not open pdf file is attached.

As for the press stating it was the "second time" - I think it is in ref to the second time the Medal of Valour was awarded to 4 people at the same ceremony whereas on 12 Oct it was presented to 10 people.  ???

HEEEEHA!

MWO Billy Bolen got him self a Meritorious Service Cross (Military Division).

Well done "troopaloop", Timmy Taliban look out now!!

Das2

Well done Dave Gionet.  I knew this was coming but I couldn't tell you.  However, I'm very glad that I get to congratulate my friend with my 100th post!!!

Nice to see a whole pile of guys I knew in 2RCR getting awards - well deserved the lot of them I'm sure.

MM

Back