• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting paperwork before turning 16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godwinlee

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Godwin and I'm interested in joining the reserves once I turn 16. I'm currently 15 and my birthday is on November 22. I was wondering if any of you know if I would be able to go to the recruiting center and get my paperwork/application this summer before I turn 16 (the minimum age to join the reserves).
The reason why I would like to do so is because my parents would like to read it over a couple of times to understand what the process would be like as well as talking to a recruiter to clarify what I would be doing. Another reason is that I would also like to hand in my application the day of my birthday to not stall it any longer  ;) (I guess i'm just excited).
Anyways, thanks for helping me out.

Godwin

*I would also like to add that the reason I'm asking this here is because the recruitment center won't call me back..left them a message in March and haven't received a call yet. Also, I live quite a long way from the nearest recruitment center I don't think my parents would be too happy to drive me there to find that I cannot receive any of the paperwork and then drive back for nothing.

Well, most reserve units are stood down over the summer, so I would really suggest you start out doing your research online. Share www.forces.gc.ca with your parents, look over the application on there(yup all digital now!), and see if the unit you want to apply to has a website, see when they start parading again and make a point of going in during their recruiters office hours with your parents and sitting down to talk with them.

Hope that helps

Cat

There's usually at least a few staff kicking around any reserve unit over the summer, well below winter levels, but somone should be around.

Phone the recruiter for the unit you're interested in, if there's no answer, don't worry, leave a phone message (Your parents should be able to explain what this is, it's somthing we used to do before texting).

Wait a few days, if no one returns the call, drop by the unit.

Do not expect quick responses over the summer.

Most reserve units should be fully staffed again by the second week of september, so if you can't get in contact with anyone during August, you'll still have plenty of time to get paperwork filled out before November.

Thanks for your quick replies  :)

I have phoned the 2 reserve units I am interested in (48th Highlanders and the Queens Own Rifles). They both said that they do not do any recruiting at that armoury and that I would have to go to the recruiting center to get the information I wanted.
Both of these units have websites so I would be able to see when they have parades again. I have never been to one of these parades before..what's it like?
Also, what Cat is saying is that I can print off all the pages of the paperwork at home?

Thanks!

Godwin

Godwinlee said:
Both of these units have websites so I would be able to see when they have parades again. I have never been to one of these parades before..what's it like?

When a reserve unit talks about parading, they are referring to regular scheduled work periods, usually one evening a week from September to May/June (generally coinciding with the school year).  That's when the majority of training and administration takes place for part-time soldiers.

Oh..I literally thought that they go out and march with drums and bagpipes  :facepalm: guess I should've done more research.
Also, thank you Cat! I've found some application forms in the Multimedia tab on the forces homepage.

Actually, just one more question.

Would you recommend me going to the recruiting center to get my paperwork, or printing off the sheets online. Would I get more information and extra things if I went in person?

Thanks

Godwinlee said:
Actually, just one more question.

Would you recommend me going to the recruiting center to get my paperwork, or printing off the sheets online. Would I get more information and extra things if I went in person?

Thanks

Yes, but CFRC Toronto (I'm guessing here based on the units you want to join) doesn't really handle unit recruiting for the 48th Highlanders and QOR.  They will each have their own unit recruiters, so it's best to talk to them and get a feel for the unit you're looking to join. 

Godwinlee said:
Would you recommend me going to the recruiting center to get my paperwork, or printing off the sheets online.

I printed off my own sheets and home and filled them out, but I'd made a mistake on one sheet and they had an extra to give me.  There's no harm in printing it out and bringing it in, if there's a problem, they will tell you and help you.

Dimsum said:
Yes, but CFRC Toronto (I'm guessing here based on the units you want to join) doesn't really handle unit recruiting for the 48th Highlanders and QOR.  They will each have their own unit recruiters, so it's best to talk to them and get a feel for the unit you're looking to join. 

This is confusing because I had called both units in the past and they both said that they do not handle recruiting there and that I would have to go to CFRC Toronto... :-\

Godwinlee said:
This is confusing because I had called both units in the past and they both said that they do not handle recruiting there and that I would have to go to CFRC Toronto... :-\

OK, that may have changed since I was in the Reserves.  Either way, stopping by the units and chatting with people is, in my opinion, a good idea to "check out" the unit.

Godwin, have you checked the latest age requirements? It's 17 for the reserves now and not 16...
I went to the CFRC to apply with the 32 Signals Regiment in January, only to be told that I had to wait until march 15th to apply (as it was closer to my 17th birthday, on june 1st). Also, about the Queens Own Rifles, the last I heard is that they had their information night and selection sometime in july I believe. Every unit has a different recruiting time frame, so it is wise to go ask the unit recruiter in person (They're nice people, since they WANT you to be interested in the military). As for the age thing, I would recommend that you go find out for yourself quickly, primarily to avoid disappointment after becoming so hyped up. Best of luck to you!

P_Laurin said:
Godwin, have you checked the latest age requirements? It's 17 for the reserves now and not 16...
I went to the CFRC to apply with the 32 Signals Regiment in January, only to be told that I had to wait until march 15th to apply (as it was closer to my 17th birthday, on june 1st). Also, about the Queens Own Rifles, the last I heard is that they had their information night and selection sometime in july I believe. Every unit has a different recruiting time frame, so it is wise to go ask the unit recruiter in person (They're nice people, since they WANT you to be interested in the military). As for the age thing, I would recommend that you go find out for yourself quickly, primarily to avoid disappointment after becoming so hyped up. Best of luck to you!

Thsi is weird. The CANFORGEN the Canadian Forces general distribution message) that stipulated the new recruiting rules stated that 17 was the age wit the exception of full time students. I continue to see 16 year old full time high school students bei recruited into the CF. I recruit for my regiment, and we brought one in last winter. I have another in the pipe now. CFRC Ottawa has not given me any issue up til now in processing 16 year olds who remain in high school.

Anyone else more senior in CFRG got any input on this? I know what I've personally seen happen in the past year and what the CANFORGEN said. I also know what the amended rules say- and they say 17. Yet the CANFORGEN conflicts and 16 year olds in high school continue to get in.

Did they not up the mandatory age of joining the primary reserve to 17?

I thought it was up'd to 17, but 16 if the applicant was applying for officer. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edit to add: And for the 16y/o they had to be already accepted into a university program I believe.

Right off of the recruitment website.

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/howtoapply-106

To be eligible to apply to the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following three minimum requirements:
Be a Canadian Citizen

Be 17 years of age (with parental or guardian consent) or older, except:
Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older

Meet the minimum education requirements for your desired military occupation:
Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec, and additional educational prerequisites as specified by the occupation

Godwin. the best way to get a hold of a recruiter is to call every 15-30 mins all day long. Some people may disagree but those guys are in and out of the office all day long and are hard to catch because they can be very busy at times. When it comes down to it their job is to assist you and answer your questions, that is what they get paid to do. (along with a whole lot of other work that gos on behind the scenes). Summer is also a bad time because almost everything in the army is understaffed at this time. Good luck.

Jimmy_D said:
I thought it was up'd to 17, but 16 if the applicant was applying for officer. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edit to add: And for the 16y/o they had to be already accepted into a university program I believe.

Wrong. You can be 16 and be in the reserves as long as you're a full time student. That can be a high school student.

I'm 16, in grade 12, and I'm in the reserves. Just did a course last month.

P_Laurin said:

I've called both QOR and 48th Highlanders in the past week and both said the age to join was 16.

Godwinlee said:
I've called both QOR and 48th Highlanders in the past week and both said the age to join was 16.

Thats very strange! The rule was changed very recently, and I think that many of the recruiters from the reserve units only remember what it was when they joined up. Its best to ask someone from the CFRC. Because as I said, i wasn't allowed to even begin to apply until a few months before I turned 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back