• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting Car Safetied in Ottawa

3green

Inactive
Reaction score
As I roll into Ottawa with "old betsy" I will need to get it saftied. I have heard horror stories of cars needing their headlight fluid flushed, windshield re-torqued and both transmissions re-sycronized before the car would pass. At that point, you're stuck and either send the car to an early death at the junk yard and buy another, or pay the extorsion and have perfectly good things replaced.

The question is, who is "that guy" in Ottawa - the honest guy who wont put a pry-bar into your front end to demonstrate how things are out of alignment? Perhaps he likes to be paid cash, perhaps he discovers that the strange noise coming from the truck is actually a case of beer and quickly fixes that problem.

My car has years left in her and between the prices of new cars and my irrational affection for betsy, I would hate to part with her.

When I was in Ottawa I had all my servicing (including safeties) done by Star Motors. I have absolutely no complaints with the service I received.

I would just like to say that using a pry bar is normal to check for play in ball joints.  I am a licensed mechanic and use it to check ball joints all the time. But that being said I know what you are talking about with getting ripped off I see it all the time.

If you are on the far west end of the city....I mean far west end ( Fitzroy Harbour) you can check out the Harbour Garage. They do all my truck and car work and are very honest and upstanding.

Good luck
Ben

When I was living in CFB Rockcliffe 2002-2005 , everybody on our street went to Halleys. They are awesome! and honest and appreciate DND's business.
Plus you could walk to the Newfie Pub for a beer while you waited!

http://www.profilecanada.com/companydetail.cfm?company=2480012_Halley_Service_Ctr_Ltd_Ottawa_ON

Back