• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gerber or knife? or both?

AlphaCharlie

Inactive
Reaction score
What do you experienced guys like in the field? Do you find a gerber is better? or is a nice solid knife always nice?

I‘ve been looking for a nice knife. At first I thought, hmm a KA-BAR is cool.. but then I decided the USMC is icky. Then I found this:

013052.jpg

Becker Combat Utility 7
Designed for adventurers and soldiers. Lightweight and sturdy, it will stand up to hard use. The carbon steel blade is tough enough for any field task and is coated with a protective matte black epoxy/powder coat finish for protection against the elements.

Think that would be useful in the field? or should I just wait until I get my issue Gerber (is that after BMQ or trade course?).

p.s. it‘s case is green. that‘s a plus. :)

Anyways, discuss.

edit: oh yeah, just FYI this isn‘t for LCF.... I find i‘m always borrowing knives from people to cut this or that (paracord is hard to cut with bayonette hehe)

If you want a tool, Gerber or Leatherman type doodads are the way to go. Big knives like the one you‘ve pictured are fairly useless.

I keep my Gerber Tool in my Tac Vest and a simple Swiss Army knife (Big Blade, Small Blade, Can Opener / Screw Driver x 2) on a piece of para cord (teathered to a belt loop) in my pocket.

Seems work find for cutting anything I have ever needed to cut in the field. I don‘t see a need for such a large knife.... but to each thier own. No LCF with the Swiss Army Knife in your pocket <smile>.

MC

It‘s acctually really hard to judge size in that picture....

Ok just checked the manufacturer‘s site... the blade itself is 7" long.. heh that‘s quite large.

I guess that‘s a bit too large for the field. When shall I get my issue Gerber? After BMQ or afer trade course (when I get cadpat)?

You can always get a similar version for about $90 at any Canadian Tire. Here‘s the one I got. It‘s great for what I use. I am , however, just a cadet.

http://www.gerberblades.com/products/view.php?model=7563

This is the one I carry http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/288/234

I don‘t like the Swiss Army or multi tools because I can never get the blade out!

I wouldn‘t compare the use of a combat knife and a gerber multi-tool‘s knife. A Gerber is a MULTI-TOOL, it‘s not to be used as a combat knife. So I reckon if you wanted a combat knife, it‘d be for totally different uses than a gerber - but why would you, just use your bayonet

Originally posted by Scarlino:
[qb] I wouldn‘t compare the use of a combat knife and a gerber multi-tool‘s knife. A Gerber is a MULTI-TOOL, it‘s not to be used as a combat knife. So I reckon if you wanted a combat knife, it‘d be for totally different uses than a gerber - but why would you, just use your bayonet [/qb]
They issue us dull bayonettes that couldn‘t cut butter. :-\

Gerber , or any similar commercially sold , multi tool , is the way to go.If you go to a surplus store , or a store , that caters to outdoorsmen ( hunters , fishermen , etc.), you can easily find a knife , that will work , as a " Combat Knife".

http://www.sogknives.com/Folding/SOG-Trident/TF-2.htm

I think I‘ll be picking one of these up when they come out in July. I have no idea if I‘ll be able to use it at either basic or CAP (I‘m quite positive I won‘t for basic, and for CAP I expect not), but I‘m really quite fond of the little cutout in the handle for cutting rope, as it seems thats one of the most used features. I‘ve already got a swiss army knife and a gerber, but I find them inconvinent to carry all the time.

I‘m pretty temped to buy the knife shown above (the one I posted)... if not to use in the field just because it looks so **** neat (i love matte black blades)

"A Gerber is a MULTI-TOOL, it‘s not to be used as a combat knife."

Russle Crow used one in Proof of Life :)

If you collect knives or something, then go for it. But to actually use? That thing is just combat jewellery. Any kind of multi tool is far more practical.

Heres a picture of some of the knives i‘ve picked up.
When i go to the field i take either of the bottom ones with me

FetchImageJPG.asp

IF you want a combat knife then buy one. If you just want to use a nice tool around camp the Gerber I posted is great. You can use it for most things. A multitool can be used for many things out of the bush as well.

If you‘re looking for doo-dads to put on your belt, get a pair of mini-vice-grips... I‘ve got a pair, and a spare gerber pouch which I keep them in... comes in handy plenty... more durable then the gerber, provides a better grip, use it and the gerber together for some jobs, etc etc.

My CF issue jump knife is my addition to my Leatherman wave tool. I obviously also carry a couple pairs of the EMT penny cutter scissors with me. One in my vest and one on my belt pack.

But to me, a good flashlight and dependable lighter in the field are both much more important tools then any blade.

Originally posted by Ghost778:
[qb] Heres a picture of some of the knives i‘ve picked up.
When i go to the field i take either of the bottom ones with me

FetchImageJPG.asp
[/qb]
Hey ghost where did you pick up that knife on the bottom...

and currently i carry into the field my leatherman, which i will exchange with my new CF issue Gerber and a 6" bladed knife with empty hand grip to store matches, etc.

Back