• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Election: Oct 21, 2019

Apologies then. I thought this was another of the media led debates.

AbdullahD said:
So bernier plays far right allowing scheer to play mid right taking votes from the libs and a conservative minority government is hatched...

Yeah i know, it wont happen. I can dream though.

Abdullah

Thing with that though is that Bernier *may* sap (in the original siege-engineering sense of the word) strength from the CPC, but that will serve not to bolster the LPC. It may redistribute votes; it will not redistribute seats in any way advantageous to the right. In the event of a CPC minority it offers no additional seats right of the liberals to prior then up- not that I personally think that’s terrible; I’ve made no secret of my opinion of Bernier’s Tantrum party. But for those who have ideological allegiance to the right, there is no real advantage, tactical or strategic, to Bernier gaining support.

“Most likely” COA is the PPC crash and burn and get no seats. “Most dangerous” is Bernier gets his seat and thus lots of airtime, and the CPC lose enough votes to turn enough ridings that it swings either the winner outright, or the majority/minority question for either LPC or CPC.

A vote for the PPC effectively is a vote for the LPC. That might not be an individual’s intent, but that’t The effect. For every shot the PPC fire at a Liberal point target, the CPC are in the beaten zone.

Brihard said:
Thing with that though is that Bernier *may* sap (in the original siege-engineering sense of the word) strength from the CPC, but that will serve not to bolster the LPC. It may redistribute votes; it will not redistribute seats in any way advantageous to the right. In the event of a CPC minority it offers no additional seats right of the liberals to prior then up- not that I personally think that’s terrible; I’ve made no secret of my opinion of Bernier’s Tantrum party. But for those who have ideological allegiance to the right, there is no real advantage, tactical or strategic, to Bernier gaining support.

“Most likely” COA is the PPC crash and burn and get no seats. “Most dangerous” is Bernier gets his seat and thus lots of airtime, and the CPC lose enough votes to turn enough ridings that it swings either the winner outright, or the majority/minority question for either LPC or CPC.

A vote for the PPC effectively is a vote for the LPC. That might not be an individual’s intent, but that’t The effect. For every shot the PPC fire at a Liberal point target, the CPC are in the beaten zone.

I could see them getting some seats in QC. The CPC is still seen as an anglo party, the NDP is in freefall, the BQ has done nothing for sovereignty in a few decades, and some of the rhetoric against immigration is similar to what the CAQ rode into power on.

Got some flyers in the mail from 'Team Trudeau'; not sure that's a great call. For the already devoted, it's a waste, for the undecided it's making the Liberals a cult of personality, and that's where the Adm Norman, SNC and other issues will weigh against not just him, but the entire party. The PMO torpedoing Adm Norman's career and life by withholding evidence under the guise of cabinet confidence was the final straw for me personally, but kind of leaves a trash heap to choose from.

Brihard said:

I agree with you 100%.

I have already resigned myself to another term of trudeau... just because i lack faith in the cpc right now.

But if it is what canadians want im happy.. sorta.

AbdullahD said:
I agree with you 100%.

I have already resigned myself to another term of trudeau... just because i lack faith in the cpc right now.

Hoping for an LPC minority that will be short lived.  With Scheer gone so that a better CPC leader can win the next majority. 

I just hope that that neither party gets a majority in this round.

Reading polls is one thing; predicting voter reactions is another.

If the PPC polls high enough for the election model forecasts to show a drop in CPC seats, will some of the NDP voters drop their LPC-as-ABC stance to return to the NDP or move to the Greens?  Will enough of those cause the forecasts for NDP seats (or Greens) to rise?  Will the LPC seat forecasts then drop enough to re-alarm the ABC voters?  Etc, etc.

The website calculatedpolitics.ca has team Trudeau ending just over majority territory now. Again, just an aggregation of polling data updated weekly.

AbdullahD said:
I agree with you 100%.

I’m in agreement too. Not happy - but we could do worse I suppose.

According to the Toronto Sun today, the alleged familial relationship between the RCMP commissioner and Bill Morneau is a complete fabrication. Not surprised, but nice to have it confirmed.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/fake-news-links-bill-morneau-to-rcmp-commish?fbclid=IwAR0YJFr53sCGGV_vArQ3q77fDTDeqVl5-UcjKBGBeE7upjmDxzwL1fSYn-s

I’m liking the way the media is dealing with all these rumours and allegations. I would like to see the one about Trudeau having drinks with Faith Goldy (and friends) dealt with.

Pretty sad he might actually lose more votes because of that then committing a breach of trust to help SNC-Lavellin out of a criminal jam.

And just for those keeping track, so far it looks like all of the #BoughtMedia /sarcasm are racing each other to cover this rather unflattering coverage of our PM. I haven't looked everywhere of course, but CBC, the Toronto Star, the Globe and Mail, the National Post, CTV, and Global all have it. So there's that.

PMJT has already fallen on his sword admitting it, apologizing, and saying he now sees that it was wrong. Basically exactly what he should have done, and as fast as he could do it. Conveniently for him, Scheer sort of painted himself into a corner on this with his approach to his own candidates’ last indiscretions, and he’s essentially shrugged and said ‘good enough for me’. The NDP will be the ones running hardest with this.

Stupid and embarrassing, with some damage potential. We shall see how it plays out. It certainly won’t play into the CPC’s hand to push too hard, although it will mute some criticism over some of their candidates.

A great night for the reporters though.

You know, you do not just magically think something is wrong.

Politicians play a part, regardless of their beliefs.. the part he is playing is being contradicted by his actions. Back in 2001 this was wrong and in bad taste... yet he still did it.

I don't buy that he actually cares about what he did other then it might hurt him politically.

Abdullah

P.s yeah, I am biased I know.

You're absolutely right.

This type of behaviour is and was wrong and we all knew it then as well (and as a 29 year-old teacher he sure as hell should have known it) but it's especially egregious when you've been holding yourself out as a paragon of virtue and the most "woke" guy in the legislature.

Sometimes, sorry just doesn't cut it.

:2c:

For those that think this won't stick.

It won't.  But...

It provides some respite to the CPC who have been on the defensive.

Brihard correctly pointed out that Scheer put himself into a corner on this with his own people.  If he is smart, he'll  focus on his platform and let Singh do the fighting.

Back