• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General CFRC Questions – Regular Forces

If you decide to not pursue, there isn't any shame or dishonor. Nobody is going to look at you differently, or line up to give you a white feather. Full candor here, no one who's in will care that much whether you joined or not. Your file manager may have a short-lived professional disappointment that the applicant file they have on their desk will go on one stack instead of the other, but they'll quickly move on.

Realistically, the harshest critic anyone has is themselves. Can YOU live with not taking that shot? Will you end up not regretting it?

I will say this. The hardest step into the unknown is generally the first one. Self-doubt is absolutely normal, especially when someone is older and is already established, or has other excellent options available to them. The easy choice is to maintain the status quo, and if you choose to do so, there isn't any shame in it. But stripping all the external factors and what-ifs away, it comes down to this: Do you want to do it? Like I said earlier, in all honestly, most of us don't care if you don't. But will you?

As previously mentioned, if you want the best of both worlds, you can also look at the Reserve option. You may love it, and decide you want to go full-hog into it, or you could decide it's not your bag, and go another route.

Either way, ball's in your court, and best of luck to you.

The OP can take the offer, or leave it. S/he hasn't been sworn in yet.

Offers can be declined, or put on hold while applicants make a decision.

Declining an offer (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/104645.0
3 pages.

Application on hold
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=KNQmWqqIIIeCjwTvqI7oAg&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+application+%22on+hold%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+application+%22on+hold%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...16398.19081.0.19556.2.2.0.0.0.0.92.160.2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.gSX9DjMsH9E

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

mariomike said:
The OP can take the offer, or leave it. S/he hasn't been sworn in yet.

Pretty sure that's what everyone has been saying.

Absolutely, when it comes to processes and individual files. The OP's asking about personal perception and feelings. I wouldn't necessarily consider recruiters the OPIs on those.

Beadwindow 7 said:
The OP's asking about personal perception and feelings.

My personal perception and feeling, if I graduated as a heavy duty diesel mechanic, would be to consider the CAF, but also consider other options,
https://www.toronto.ca/home/jobs/information-for-applicants/recruitment-intitiatives/toronto-fire-services-careers/mechanical/
( Click Job Description, if interested. )

EVT base pay ( before overtime etc. ) is $98,454. EVTs are eligible for promotion to Captain, District Chief etc. up the chain of command.

City benefits, job security and OMERS pension ( 2.33% accrual rate, and Health Care Spending Account until age 75 ). 

Q.Lamb said:
Sure I'm comfortable now but likely won't be in 3 years, and 5 years from now when I finish my VIE I will be well ahead of where I would be otherwise. That is to say of I don't extend it.

If you do not extend it, you may, or may not, find this of interest,

Ontario College of Trades

http://www.collegeoftrades.ca/veterans
Click: I’m a current or former military member with trades experience

Also discussed in,

Vehicle Technician
https://army.ca/forums/threads/1675.175
9 pages.

Alright everyone,

First off I want to thank you all for your replies. I read over them all several times.

I think that @BeyondTheNow hit the nail on the head. I am comfortable where I am, for now. Which is why I am going to stick it out with the military. Sure I'm comfortable now but likely won't be in 3 years, and 5 years from now when I finish my VIE I will be well ahead of where I would be otherwise. That is to say of I don't extend it.

Again, thank you to everyone who has commented, it really helped me to think clearly and to make what I believe is to be the correct decision.

Nice to hear you made a decision, keep us updated on here once in a while. Would be good to hear how you make out in your new career. Good luck and best wishes to you on your new endeavours.

Hello folks,

My concern regarding joining the regular is that I have a small farm. It would be better to put it straight ahead within a testamentary trust, and rent it out (for free, as long as they maintain the place, and they could keep farming revenues / with a special clause that I can come back any time if crap happens).
How do folks from the regular forces deal with their home? (no wifey for now)
Is regular forces 24/7/365 on base?

Regards,

Move said:
Hello folks,

My concern regarding joining the regular is that I have a small farm. It would be better to put it straight ahead within a testamentary trust, and rent it out (for free, as long as they maintain the place, and they could keep farming revenues / with a special clause that I can come back any time if crap happens).
How do folks from the regular forces deal with their home? (no wifey for now)
Is regular forces 24/7/365 on base?

Regards,

Some work a normal Mon-Fri. Others work shiftwork. All may sometimes be subject to being sent away for weeks or months or a year on training, tasking, and deployments. This can happen arbitrarily and with little notice. If you’re Navy you may go to sea for weeks or months and live on your ship. If you’re Army you may go to the field for same and be out of contact with society. Air Force May have missions or taskings all over the globe.

Your off time is generally your own and most jobs most of the time are Monday to Friday... But it’s unwise to retain any commitments that specifically rely on your personal ability to be consistently physically present or available.

Oh wow, fair enough.

How do military folks usually deal when they have assets? Family trusts?

PS: Is **** really an illegal word?

Move said:

Family trusts, or they become administrative burdens because they're never able to do taskings since they're so busy with other aspects of their life. The latter of those individuals usually has a short, unfulfilling career in the CAF.

If regular time commitment is an issue, there's always the Reserves.

Move said:
My concern regarding joining the regular is that I have a small farm.

In the Regular Force, you go where they send you:

"From time to time, Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members are moved – or posted – to different locations to perform their jobs."

"CAF members must be ready to be deployed on short notice."
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/life/moving-relocation.html

Move said:
Is **** really an illegal word?

Depends on what you mean by ****.

From the Site Owner,

Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ

Mike Bobbitt said:
Profanity
Profanity is strongly discouraged.
Generally, there is a better way to express yourself than through the use of profanity, especially on the Internet where it can be hard to determine the intended tone. However, we recognize that Army.ca attracts a certain type of visitor, and that not all discussion topics are "family friendly" here by their nature. Still, profanity should not be "overused." There may be occasions where profanity is appropriate to underline your point or reinforce your emotion, however these should be few and far between. Please keep it within the bounds of civil society. There is an automatic censor system in effect by default, so those who are not concerned with profanity can simply disable it in their profile, while others can leave it enabled. In an effort to preserve civility, don't swear:
  • excessively
  • for the sake of swearing
  • at someone else or as part of a personal attack
  • to be obscene or extremely vulgar
  • in the Cadet Forum (this is for young visitors, and has a zero tolerance policy)
If you break the rule in one of these ways, your post will be edited by the staff. If you have had profanity edited out of one of your posts, please don't argue why it didn't exactly fit one of the above criteria: if it was removed, it was inappropriate. If you habitually misuse profanity, you may receive a warning as per the warning system.

Move said:
Oh wow, fair enough.

PS: Is **** really an illegal word?

Most simply don’t have anything of that nature beyond maybe house, car, some financial investments... not many are joinin gup while they own/operate a farm or business.

Question regarding my application. I applied for regular forces / non-commision / unskilled and chose my 3 options I would like for career choices. I was wondering if these 3 choices would have any effect on slowing down my process at all or once I do my aptitude tests, etc they could offer different?

Thank you and sorry if this has been asked before

Faller1985 said:
Question regarding my application. I applied for regular forces / non-commision / unskilled and chose my 3 options I would like for career choices. I was wondering if these 3 choices would have any effect on slowing down my process at all or once I do my aptitude tests, etc they could offer different?

You may find this discussion helpful,

General Questions regarding your application [MERGED]
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:A2LgV4BKfDsJ:https://army.ca/forums/index.php%3Ftopic%3D107882.0+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca
35 pages.

Faller1985 said:

I encourage you to read and absorb as much info as you can in the recruiting threads. While your question may not have been asked verbatim, there’s a lot of info which covers your scenario.

But yes, your recruiting process can vary in length from start to finish depending on the trade(s) one chooses. I can’t answer to what degree or exactly how long it would take. Generally speaking, once you complete your CFAT and/or the other components of the recruiting process, you’ll be informed as to whether or not you qualify for the trades you listed. (If you don’t qualify for your first choice, they’ll look at your second, and so on. If you don’t qualify for any of your selections you’ll be informed of which trades your scores allow you to be employed under.)

A member in recruiting may be around to offer more details, but that’s a quick bit to get you started. Again, please take it upon yourself to read as much as you can. It’s extremely rare that a question about the recruiting process comes along which hasn’t been addressed. Good luck!

Faller1985 said:
I was wondering if these 3 choices would have any effect on slowing down my process at all or once I do my aptitude tests, etc they could offer different?

See also,

TIMINGS - ESTIMATED TIMES FOR_______________ 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/81054/post-774714.html#msg774714
The complete application process will vary in length depending on many factors.  Those who are in perfect physical condition, perfect health, no Criminal Record, good Credit Rating, good education credentials, good references, good marks on the CFAT, and fill the major criteria to join the CF will progress faster than those who may have a problem or two in those matters.  There is no guaranteed time that any part of the process will be completed.

Louis_Army said:
Yeah I'm skimming through them. I'm not looking for anything easy. I'm looking for something I have good chances of getting in on the spot.

Be careful what you wish for.  Getting in quickly will just lead to frustration and resentment if you end up in an occupation for which you are not suited (the CFAT is not perfect) or which you won't enjoy.  Although it is indeed possible to change occupations within the CAF, it can be a long, frustrating and not necessarily successful process.  Therefore, it's very important to make you initial selections carefully, as you may be doing that job for a long time Note that this does NOT mean you will be stuck in the same place, doing the same thing with no advancement.  The scope of any occupation in the CAF is wide and varied to the point that every posting can be different (i.e. your job can change every 2-3 years), but at the end of the day, all your jobs will still revolve around one basic skill set.  Frankly, I would argue that enjoyment of your occupation is far more important than advancement.  Although I have perhaps not advanced as far as I would have liked over the past 35 years, I can attribute this to a number of personal decisions that I do not regret for one moment.  I've had a hell of a lot of fun and am looking forward to a pretty comfortable retirement with a great pension.

Buck_HRA said:
Please note that there is no guarantee to being selected for any occupation just by proceeding normally through the process.  The CAF gets over 40,000 applications a year and depending on the year, but on average only 5,000-6,000 of those applications are selected to receive an offer of employment. 

While there are many of us on here who have spent many years in uniform, some even as recruiters - I would strongly encourage you to (1) take time to browse the occupations on the CAF website: and (2) visit your local CFRC to discuss the trades that you find interesting.

Buck,

Are you able to confirm or deny rumour that MPO has changed from specific degree requirements for entry/study and has now become an "Any Degree" officer Occupation?

Thanks.

LunchMeat said:
Buck,

Are you able to confirm or deny rumour that MPO has changed from specific degree requirements for entry/study and has now become an "Any Degree" officer Occupation?

Thanks.
As of 30 October 2017 "Any Baccalaureate degree" is 'acceptable' to apply for MPO. 

Ideal Baccalaureate degrees are:
  • Criminal Justice
  • Crimonology
  • Emergency/Crisis and Disaster Management
  • Justice Studies (including Law & Justice and Human Justice)
  • Law (including Law & Society)
  • Police Science / Studies
  • Psychology
  • Sociology
  • Baccalauréat en sécurité publique
  • Baccalauréat en sécurité et études policières
  • Business Administration
  • Chemistry
  • Computer Science
  • Economics
  • Engineering, Any
  • English
  • French
  • History
  • Military and Strategic Studies
  • Mathematics
  • Politics
  • Psychology
  • Physics
  • Space science

Remember an "acceptable" entry standard doesn't mean you'll be processed, it's more there just in case there aren't enough "ideal" candidates.

Farming is a great life. Army life is a great life style and career.
Farms do not move around the country.
Army life moves across the country and can take you around the world.
You can still own the farm but do not expect to have time to farm or do chores as you might not be in the same postal code let alone same province.
If you want to join the Forces.some advice for you.
1) sign up and see what happens. Get accepted. Then make the farm plan
2) get accepted. Look at renting the land out to a local farmer you know and trust. Get a legal contract done up. Make sure the farmer is fully insured and you are protected from accidents on your land.make sure you get paid rent or share of crop
3) Rent any house on the land to a second party. ( make rent affordable and that it covers costs of up keep and taxes on the house)
4) any equipment you own use your judgement. No one will treat it as you will want it looked after.
5) once the farm is taken care of. Start your army career and remember you have a nest egg to come back to when you get out.
6) have family or friend have access to check your property for you. But follow local rental laws as to proper notice etc to visit property.

Back