• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

G & M Chritsty Blatchford - Mourn them but don't pity them article

military granny

Inactive
Reaction score
When I first heard yesterday that Canada had suffered casualties in Kandahar, I got an e-mail from a soldier I know, a wonderfully literate man who has served in Afghanistan himself.

When he got the news, he said, he remembered what then-Lieutenant-Colonel Ian Hope once told a reporter. Lt.-Col. Hope was the commanding officer of the 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry-led battle group known as Task Force Orion, which was then in the midst of handing over to the battle group led by the 1st Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment.

At the interview's end, Lt.-Col. Hope (he is now a colonel) was asked if there was anything else he wanted to say.

"Yes," he said, "there is.
"Remember that these soldiers are doing what they joined to do. Have no pity for them because we don't pity ourselves. Our suffering needs to be seen in the context of our achievements, which were many."

MORE ON LINK
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/GAM.20081206.BLATCHFORD06/TPStory/TPComment

The ilk of heros.  Men and women who do things that most of us shirk away from.
I always enjoy Ms. Blatchford's writings, supportive and pro military, which is what we need sometimes.
As for the fallen,
Rest In Peace,  :salute:
:cdn:

Back