• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

G&M: CBC's military obsession just feels creepy

Just the fact that he says they are using Christmas to go overbooard is insulting. They are doing this on Christmas because our boys and girls are away from their families DURING Christmas and that is not an easy thing to do. This is giving them the recognition they deserve, it is in no way "fetishizing."

Aren't we ever so lucky that JOHN DOYLE can go home every evening and sleep so safe and snug in his nice warm bed, without any other cares in the world but what CBC News is broadcasting on the late night News to the Nation. 

::)

I sent this letter to the editor today - we'll see if they bite.

The only thing "odious" or "creepy" about "The National's" coverage of the Canadian military is the unconsionable column by John Doyle on Dec. 13.

I understand that "media elites" like Doyle are uncomfortable with the fact that Canadian Forces members live by concepts like "selfless service" and the "unlimited liability" that comes with military service - it simply does not fit into their particular world view. I also understand that it's far more fun to critique Mansbridge's turtleneck than to admit that there is such a thing as a Canadian hero.

However, Doyle might have enhanced his understanding if he had listened to the substantive words of Sgt. Patrick Tower, winner of the Star of Military Valour (second only to the Victoria Cross)or spent a minute with the photo of Captain Nic Goddard (awarded the Meritorious Service Medal posthumously).

These soldiers, and the other 90000 Canadians who serve as regulars and reservists, exemplify the values of the Canadian Forces.  Their concerns are far removed from matters of media optics - they are also far more vital to Canadians and to the future of Afghanistan.  CBC's interest in them is both warranted and commendable and Doyle's supercilious commentary is unworthy of Canada's paper of record.

MC

I was more than a little irate that a guy who flicks a remote for a living could publish junk like this.  Hard to believe that he works for the same paper as Christie Blatchford!

Cheers

I've had a great day and this guy isn't worth it to get upset over. He's a television critic, I'm sure people atke his views on the world as the gospel truth ::). Now if this was the front page story I just might have to get angry but this waste of oxygen isn't worth getting worked up over....

Argument with facts and logic = Great. The best thing for this society, no matter what side is taken.

Sadly he isn't arguing with facts and/or logic, maybe he doesn't want to accept the fact that Canada has a proud military history. And a proud current military. Maybe he doesn't realize that war is a serious topic.

I love how he says that the soldiers do not use truth or logic. Yet he hasn't used an eensy amount of it in this article.

I'm saddened that he shares the name of my family.

Well, I just cancelled my Globe subscription, and sent a nice email to Mr Doyle.  :threat: I don't mind commentary in the paper that is opposed to the mission, but not from the bloody TV critic.

Sometimes I can't believe Christie Blatchford and this guy work for the same organization.  It be interesting to here her take on this.....

FDL :cdn:

Mr. Doyle has forgotten the following:

[size=10pt]It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press[/size].
It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.

Thank you to all who bravely serve, go away for periods on end, over Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. The job that you do will never be forgotten.  Thank you!! :salute: :cdn:

I posted last night on another thread in regards to CBC broadcasting from here in Trenton.  I had said that the CBC has "scooped" CTV by visiting us here.  I say that it looks good on them. I know it meant a lot to me, and probably other members, to see some of the people behind the scenes during a repatriation and general day to day operations here in the Air Force.  Not everyone is a pilot!  Rex Murphy's interview with Padre Mike brought the odd lump to my throat, the whole show hit home.  Kudos to CBC expecially at this time of the year when all of our hopes and prayers go to "our warriors deployed"
:cdn:
PS, Thanks LBM for posting that poem.  You beat most of us to the punch.  :salute:

You're welcome!  I remember the poem was read at the memorial for Rob Short and Rob Beerenfenger 3 years ago. It's so true. I was at the taping tonight here in Petawawa, and it was nice for Peter Mansbridge to admit after that what we live through, he and the rest of Canada doesn't really see, and he admitted that the media doesnt' do the PRT and all the reconstruction justice. He talked to some of the widows and thanked them and our husbands who are fighting for the job that they do.

:salute: :cdn:

ladybugmabj said:
You're welcome!  I remember the poem was read at the memorial for Rob Short and Rob Beerenfenger 3 years ago. It's so true. I was at the taping tonight here in Petawawa, and it was nice for Peter Mansbridge to admit after that what we live through, he and the rest of Canada doesn't really see, and he admitted that the media doesnt' do the PRT and all the reconstruction justice. He talked to some of the widows and thanked them and our husbands who are fighting for the job that they do.

:salute: :cdn:

I watched the CBC's "The National" last night from Pet and it was a great show. You would have to have a heart of stone not to see the emotional stress placed on the family members while their loved ones are away. BZ to the CBC for showing Canadians what great people make up our Canadian Forces.  :salute:

Peter Mansbridge did a nice bit of replying to this article as well.....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061214.wmansbridge14/BNStory/Entertainment/home

Mansbridge: Covering all angles of Afghanistan
CBC's reporting has included the debate over the mission, Peter Mansbridge retorts
PETER MANSBRIDGE

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

Over the past five years, CBC News has spent considerable time and resources covering Canada's armed involvement in Afghanistan. Not only is Afghanistan this country's most challenging military operation in a half-century, it is a crucial public-policy issue that engages and concerns most Canadians.

Our reporters have been covering every aspect of this operation — including the continuing debate as to “why” Canada is there. We have covered it from the front lines in Afghanistan to Canada's Parliament in Ottawa, as well as many international conferences in between.

We are proud of our coverage. And we know, from the positive response of so many Canadians to it, that it has been helpful to many in understanding the important issues in front of us all.

Wednesday, The Globe's TV columnist John Doyle, writing from the vantage point of what he calls his “TV Cranny,” found this effort positively “creepy.” He took particular exception with Monday's special “On the Road” broadcast of The National from Edmonton, which looked at how families of those serving in Kandahar, or soon to go, are coping (rather well) and are helping support one another through the long separation.

Doyle found this somehow a lapse in journalistic responsibility. He wrote: “Of course, any thinking, feeling person can grasp the difficulties facing families with a member serving in Afghanistan. It's tough and emotionally wrenching. But we don't need to be hit over the head with the message. Besides, the population is not united in support of our current role in Afghanistan.”

Indeed, the public is not united over this role — as the CBC has clearly reported. In a poll this autumn, we showed that the Canadian public was split 52-48 per cent in favour. We also reported that 58 per cent did not believe the mission would succeed.

The very same poll, however, showed the overwhelming majority of Canadians, whatever their views of about the Afghan mission, thought very highly of the military (73 per cent). So we don't feel an obligation to act as if soldiers and their families should somehow remain an overlooked minority of no account, mere shadows in the corner of the holiday season.

We have no apologies to make. Our coverage of the war has been praised by those for the mission and by those against. Reporters have in the past explored a great deal of the dirty underbelly of this war, often at personal risk.

The CBC has operated 24/7 on the ground in Kandahar since the current mission landed there and is on frequent patrol with our forward troops.

We have reported extensively not only on the heavy fighting of recent months, but also on the extremely difficult attempts to get civilian reconstruction programs under way.

Brian Stewart's recent documentary Road to Kandahar for the first time revealed the infighting within the military and cabinet over Canada's initial role in Afghanistan. His regular “Inside the Mission” segment on The National examines the high cost and casualties of the war along with the shifts in public attitudes toward our commitment.

There has been a countless number of reports, documentaries and interview segments on The National and our other CBC News television, radio and online programs and services.

What is particularly offensive about Doyle's column is his charge that CBC's actions “give the appearance of an obedient press corps, placating the government.” What absolute nonsense.

Not only has CBC News been covering this conflict — from all perspectives, including those who oppose Canada's involvement — for several years before this current government was even elected, the CBC has been reporting on Canadian troops in war and conflict zones for 67 years.

War coverage is part of our network's heritage. This does not show an obsession with the military, as Doyle claims, but rather a determination to cover the story from all angles, with balance and an openness to many views, including those of family members missing loved ones at the front.

These people do exist, and CBC News will continue to listen to them too ... whatever the distress level in Doyle's “TV Cranny.”

Peter Mansbridge is chief correspondent for CBC News and anchor of The National.

Pencil Tech said:
Well, I just cancelled my Globe subscription, and sent a nice email to Mr Doyle.  :threat: I don't mind commentary in the paper that is opposed to the mission, but not from the bloody TV critic.
Good on ya, if enough people do what you have done it should make a difference ans the globe might realize that the shouldn't have wacko people in their organization

In the G&M, at the bottom of the article is an area to leave comments...

please do.

St. Micheal's Medical Team said:
In the G&M, at the bottom of the article is an area to leave comments...

please do.

Not on my version.......unless you want to email him directly.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061214.wmansbridge14/CommentStory/Entertainment/home

Back