• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FYI: Brochure for Telling your empoyer you want to join the reserves

RudyTwoShoes

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm posting this in case other potential reserve applicants are looking for something to support or guide them before having "the talk" with their boss...
I went to my recruiting center and visited my reserve unit and they didn't know of any support material that I could show, and I didn't find anything in the recruiting FAQ's on this site

But I finally found the CFLC website and the brochure titled "Employers Guide to Supporting Reservists" and "Reservists Guide to Employer Support" which was exactly what I was looking for...
http://www.cflc.forces.gc.ca/pub/index-eng.asp

I think this would be good to add to any Reservist Recruiting FAQs...

I thought it was law that if you are a reservist your employer has to give you time off for training/deployments and have your job ready for you when you get back? I know at my last job there was a section on "by law yada yada yada" but since I wasn't a reservist I didn't pay much attention to it.

robbiewho? said:
I thought it was law that if you are a reservist your employer has to give you time off for training/deployments and have your job ready for you when you get back? I know at my last job there was a section on "by law yada yada yada" but since I wasn't a reservist I didn't pay much attention to it.

There is such a Law in the US, but not in Canada.  Even in the US, this Law doesn't guarantee job protection in all cases.

robbiewho? said:
What you were reading at your old job was probably company policy rather than law. The link above also includes a publication titled Reserved Jobs: Job Protection Legislation and You.

Thanks for clearing that up. Like I said, I had just skimmed over the section but only caught a few key sentences.

Back