• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANSOFCOM Reserves

SK8706

Inactive
Reaction score
I am presently an active member of the CAF and am fully trained in my occupation as Infantry Soldier. My first contract will be terminating in September and I chose to not re-enlist. I will be doing a component transfer to the reserve when I get my release paperwork. I made this decision to be closer to home since rebadging didn't seem to be a guarantee.

I hear that CANSOFCOM recruits reservists. Are reservist recruits required to switch to regular force for this job? Or do they remain a reservist, go through the training in Ottawa, and then are able to return to their home reserve unit, participate in training and deploy when duty calls? I am wondering if I would be required to move to Ottawa permanently as a reservist in CANSOFCOM.

Are there CANSOFCOM opportunities for Infantry Soldiers in a reservist position?

Any guidance as to what this would look like would be very appreciated.

Thank you very much.

It may have changed recently. In the past you could (try to) get a class B full-time contract, as a reservist, working with CANSOFCOM in a supporting role. If you want to be trained as an operator/assaulter/gas sniffer then you would need to accept a full time contract with the regular force. Canada doesn't have reservist special forces like the US you're probably thinking about.

I've never heard of a Cl A reservist with CANSOF that isn't a former RegF member or an individual with unique skillsets (languages, cyber, medics) they'd want to retain.

You can always send an email to their recruiters, get the info right from the horses mouth.

I've never heard of a Cl A reservist with CANSOF that isn't a former RegF member or an individual with unique skillsets (languages, cyber, medics) they'd want to retain.

You can always send an email to their recruiters, get the info right from the horses mouth.
Thank you!

When I went through the Bug School, in Borden, we had 4 operators from JTF2 on the course. One was a reservist from one of the Ontario armoured units.

It may have changed recently. In the past you could (try to) get a class B full-time contract, as a reservist, working with CANSOFCOM in a supporting role. If you want to be trained as an operator/assaulter/gas sniffer then you would need to accept a full time contract with the regular force. Canada doesn't have reservist special forces like the US you're probably thinking about.
Thank you!
When I went through the Bug School, in Borden, we had 4 operators from JTF2 on the course. One was a reservist from one of the Ontario armoured units.
Ah ok! So it's possible to be work as an operator vs. support even as a reservist!? Thank you!

I know a guy who's a Cl A CANSOFCOM reservist. He was an assaulter with JTF2, then got out to work for a different federal organization. He stayed on with them as a reservist. Essentially his 'training nights' are CANSOFCOM IBTS equivalents to make sure his skills are still up to snuff. They get drawn on to help with things like selection and courses, and can potentially deploy. I did not get the impression that you could walk in off the street- you had to have prior qualifications and experience within their units in their job functions.

That said, that's all based off one conversation with one former JTF2 NCO. Take it for what it's worth and try to corroborate with other info.

I know a guy who's a Cl A CANSOFCOM reservist. He was an assaulter with JTF2, then got out to work for a different federal organization. He stayed on with them as a reservist. Essentially his 'training nights' are CANSOFCOM IBTS equivalents to make sure his skills are still up to snuff. They get drawn on to help with things like selection and courses, and can potentially deploy. I did not get the impression that you could walk in off the street- you had to have prior qualifications and experience within their units in their job functions.

That said, that's all based off one conversation with one former JTF2 NCO. Take it for what it's worth and try to corroborate with other info.
Super helpful! Thank you so much. Yeah, I've emailed recruiters and will see what they say.

This may be a stretch, but is there any way you could put me in touch with him? Thank you.

That's wild I had no idea they would do that.

forget will smith GIF

If by training in Ottawa you mean SOAC, absolutely not. The only reserve position for Assaulters are filled by veterans of the unit who have corporate knowledge to impart, a new member who's reservist would have very little to contribute.

Back