• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FWSAR (CC130H, Buffalo, C27J, V22): Status & Possibilities

In this case it ended well for the 2 of them, many times it has been to late. I did marvel at how efficient our first "electronic" rescue went getting a canoeist off of Brooks Peninsula after getting smashed onto the rocks, he had a early 406/151mhz beacon loaned to him and it led us right to him. We could save money just by giving those away to every commercial boat.

jmt18325 said:
Since this is an area that I have some expertise, I feel I can contribute.  Yes, minutes count.  With SAR, and general rescue, hours don't count so much.  The difference between many hours and many many hours is usually not as significant.

FWSAR is its own flavour though which is what this is about.  You can only fly so slow and lack the ability to hover and hold position. 

A another good example is the sail race SAR last summer mid Atlantic.  Getting there quick and being able to determine reality and assets was very important.  Herc got their quick but lacked electronic search ability.  Aurora got on station and added vital info gained by doing some things we do extremely well (radar surface plot + AIS + comms + EOIR...) and regularly.

The new FWSAR will have the sensor package and comms (not sure what the comms package will be) but not as much speed.  I've no idea what legs it will have compared to Hercs and 140s but the 140 mission was 12+ hours.  Depending on transit times etc the quicker you can get there and the longer you can stay the less chance of gaps in the search. 

It doesn't feel great to go offsta with no success and a XX gap in time before your relief is on scene. 

Colin P said:
In this case it ended well for the 2 of them, many times it has been to late. I did marvel at how efficient our first "electronic" rescue went getting a canoeist off of Brooks Peninsula after getting smashed onto the rocks, he had a early 406/151mhz beacon loaned to him and it led us right to him. We could save money just by giving those away to every commercial boat.

Great points in both your posts.  SARTs would be great as well IMO.

So, had a chat with a friend who is a fling-wing SAR type earlier today.  I wasn't aware that the new FWSAR wasn't going to have an APU.

Interesting, and likely not in a good way.

Did he have anything to say about the lack of headroom in the back for techs and the lack of upper window in the cockpit?

HB_Pencil said:
Did he have anything to say about the lack of headroom in the back for techs and the lack of upper window in the cockpit?

The lack of headroom stuff, yes.  Most of the talk was about lack of speed, legs, APUs, how well composite props like gravel and rocks, and 'why the Spartan would have been the right pick of the two' for military, operational capabilities reasons.

:Tin-Foil-Hat:

Eye In The Sky said:
'why the Spartan would have been the right pick of the two'.

Maybe for the CAF and any end-users of said airplane, but to the penny-pinchers?  :whistle:

Eye In The Sky said:
So, had a chat with a friend who is a fling-wing SAR type earlier today.  I wasn't aware that the new FWSAR wasn't going to have an APU.

Interesting, and likely not in a good way.

Had a nav buddy that said you need to be about hobbit height to work well in that airframe :p

From my limited visibility on the project, the back end is apparently not all that bad for SAR techs.

duffman said:
Except that Airbus bid was $1.3 billion (with a "B") over budget set in the RFP.  Link  ???

This is the part I don't understand. How were they allowed to go over budget? How did they go over budget since pretty much every published number has the C-295 substantially cheaper than the C-27? What happened with Leonardo's challenge was it thrown out?

SupersonicMax said:
From my limited visibility on the project, the back end is apparently not all that bad for SAR techs.

It looks like an ergonomic disaster from my perspective. Par for the course I suppose.

SupersonicMax said:

For some perspective...you can really see how tight the 295 is in the video and how spacious the Spartan is.

https://army.ca/forums/threads/23889/post-1480492.html#msg1480492

RADAR piece sorted out.

https://defpost.com/iai-supply-maritime-patrol-radars-canadian-c295-msa-aircraft/

Link removed.

Reference,
https://army.ca/forums/threads/99046.0

** Edit by DS IAW site policy **

Back