• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FWSAR (CC130H, Buffalo, C27J, V22): Status & Possibilities

There is a National Post article posted about an hour ago that states this (can't post/link the article on the forum).  It also states the contract was awarded based on Airbus having a lower price.  It also suggests that the original # of 17 aircraft will be changed to 'capability based' #s. I'll take that to mean "less than 17".

AES Ops aren't going to be part of the crew, so I'll take that to mean there will be limited sensor capability.  Too bad, really.  SAR Imaging (RADAR) and EO/IR really make a difference. 

I don't believe the 295 can replace the Herc; they have pretty short legs IMO.  Hopefully, in the future, the 295 isn't the MPA that replaces the Aurora. 

Can't say that I am surprised but I am disappointed.  S&R the Wal-Mart way.  Many of the call-outs are to the Territories and Labrador and the C295 just can't get there without having to make a fuel stop on route.  Sure hope that those folks bobbing around on their ice floes and little rubber boats don't mind waiting.  But perhaps they will maintain a couple of hercs for those longer trips.

AES Ops aren't going to be part of the crew, so I'll take that to mean there will be limited sensor capability.  Too bad, really.  SAR Imaging (RADAR) and EO/IR really make a difference. 

From what we've been briefed, the new fix wing SAR will have sensors on board, but they'll be manned by ACSOs and potentially FEs.

I could have predicted this.  The military did this to themselves by tailoring the requirements the first time.  That's why this project took so long.

That and the company selling the C-27J did themselves no favours by blocking Canada from buying the surplus US aircraft a few years back.

Eagle Eye View said:
From what we've been briefed, the new fix wing SAR will have sensors on board, but they'll be manned by ACSOs and potentially FEs.

Was told the same thing.  I am not surprised as our trade seems to be lacking the ability to plan ahead (manning continues to be an issue).  We are in no position to send people to the FWSAR world.  While 402 is probably going to be manned 100% this summer the rest of the Sqns are ghost towns.     

We just don't have the people.  402 can pump out all the students they want, but until they give the OTUs more instructors, those students will just end up sitting around with their feet up.

For what it is worth, we were also told that once they (as in the RCAF) knows what the full capabilities are, then they will most likely revisit having SENSOR OPERATORS operating SENSORS...    Apparently the new FWSAR bird will have a decent sensor suite.

jmt18325 said:
I could have predicted this.  The military did this to themselves by tailoring the requirements the first time.  That's why this project took so long.

That and the company selling the C-27J did themselves no favours by blocking Canada from buying the surplus US aircraft a few years back.

True, I liked the aircraft, but the company is a bunch of wankers. Airbus should have good part support at least.

Without going back through 58-pages, my recollection was that one of Airbus's arguments was that with lower costs, the air force would be able to purchase additional air frames and position them closer to the hotspots, than they would have been able to with the more expensive C-27J (with the assumption that forward basing would offset the lower speed of C-295).

Does anyone know if that was part of the final pitch from Airbus?

M.  :salute:

The RFP allowed the aircraft maker to specify the number of aircraft and where they should be based, so I would assume so.

jmt18325 said:
The RFP allowed the aircraft maker to specify the number of aircraft and where they should be based, so I would assume so.

Well that just made the announcement a little more interesting....very cool.  :salute:

George Wallace said:
Announcement is supposed to be this Thursday.
That's now official ...
Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan, Public Services and Procurement Minister Judy M. Foote and the Commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force Lieutenant-General Michael Hood will make an announcement on the project to replace fixed-wing search and rescue aircraft.

When:
    8:30 a.m. (Eastern) on Thursday, December 8, 2016.
Where:
    8 Wing Passenger Terminal,
    6 Northstar Dr.,
    CFB Trenton

-30-​

Notes to editor / news director:

For more information, and to confirm attendance, please contact Lieutenant Karyn Mazurek, 8 Wing Public Affairs Officer, at karyn.mazurek@forces.gc.ca or 613-965-7384. Please register no later than 10 p.m. on Wednesday, December 7, 2016.

Media interested are advised that group transportation will be departing from the Passenger Terminal at 7:30 a.m. There are no exceptions. Parking is available at the Passenger Terminal parking lot.

In addition, members of the media outside Trenton can listen to the announcement via teleconference. Please note this will be a listen-only mode line. Media call-in information:

Number

613-960-7526 / 877-413-4814

Access Code

French: 3241855
English: 8286485
Bilingual: 4464103 ...
Don't be shy about dialing in all you "media"  ;)

I think they desperately need to change the buzz on all things defense and they are hoping this announcement will do it.

I am half-expecting them to announce an interim buy of four or five to cover a capability gap and punt a final decision for five years pending another "competition".

Oh my goodness Loachman, don't say such things!

Not just because it is a huge waste of taxpayer dollars, but because it sounds sooooooooo damn plausible....

Loachman said:
I am half-expecting them to announce an interim buy of four or five to cover a capability gap and punt a final decision for five years pending another "competition".

I hope nobody in the Procurement Minister's office is reading this thread... you're giving them ideas.  ::)

Loachman said:
We'll know whose fault it is if it happens ...
RaceAddict said:
What about "curious tax payer" types? What number do we dial?  :Tin-Foil-Hat:
I'm guessing if you dial the number, you might be able to just listen in without identifying yourself.  YMMV, though ...

Back