• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

From bears to bullets - New uniform proposal

If this could be studied more, if could very well save many soldiers' lives on the battle field. If they could also include remote monitoring devices, such as hear rate, persperation, EEG, it could give great remote diagnosis to medtechs and or physicians. Auto morphine and chemical drugs and vacines may also be injected :) cool suit!

It's still high tech piece of kit that is intended for use in a very tough environment.

Batteries, power packs and all the little bits of gee whiz stuff that can go wrong / break down (at the most inoportune moment).

Looks like good kit to have for specialized elements but, not necessarily for everyone.

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/media_archive/jan-11-2007_a.html

My friend sent me this just as I was reading this article... weird coincidence
It's an interview with the guy while he's wearing the suit

Samsquanch said:
If you want to see this guy get hit with bats run down by a truck and kicked off a hill, click on the link below. He's either very tough or the 1st version of the suit works pretty good. I still think he may be a nut bar....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3CzYw5-qdA

Nearly pissed my pants laughing when he gets hit by the truck the second time.

Pretty cool stuff, maybe a glimpse of the future soldier. Needs goverment money to streamline and make that badboy practical.

the interview does rememind me a lot of those wackos I talk with at recruiting demo's, but his ideas are sound, concepts are good and he is talking to the right people. 

Not too sure I would want a laser pointer built into my helmet, those things do work both ways.  I would also want someone who is building a suit for the military to perhaps read some sun tsu before he goes to star wars and Halo, but anything that saves lives is a good thing.

Lucious Fox (batman Begins) should know that buddy stole his idea, but I think that heinlein should get a royalty. 

I equip my troops with this, will be able to get away with calling them apes without the 2Lt getting mad at me.

...I always get the shakes before a drop

pa_m.gif

or
apa_m.gif
?
Anyone? Bueller? Someone tell me i wasnt the only to think of that... pretty please.

bcbarman said:
the interview does rememind me a lot of those wackos I talk with at recruiting demo's, but his ideas are sound, concepts are good and he is talking to the right people. 

Not too sure I would want a laser pointer built into my helmet, those things do work both ways.  I would also want someone who is building a suit for the military to perhaps read some sun tsu before he goes to star wars and Halo, but anything that saves lives is a good thing.

Lucious Fox (batman Begins) should know that buddy stole his idea, but I think that heinlein should get a royalty. 

I equip my troops with this, will be able to get away with calling them apes without the 2Lt getting mad at me.

...I always get the shakes before a drop

hehehe...the MI has arrived... but honestly, I think it'll be a great way to go. IF his suit will be able to pass all the test and requirements set forth by the Forces. Maybe, with better funding and tech, he could build an even smaller version so it's not as bulky.

If the suit gets 'picked up' I can certainly see a Mark II version being powered, including exoskeleton for strength enhancement, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this guy also invent some type of light armour 'padding' for vehicle use? It came in squares that could be easily replaced if damaged.

"There are a dozen different ways of delivering destruction in impersonal wholesale, via ships or missiles of one sort or another, catastrophes so widespread, so unselective, that the war is over because that nation or planet has ceased to exist. What we do is entirely different. We make war as personal as a punch in the nose. We can be selective, applying precisely the required amount of pressure at the specified point at a designated time. We've never been told to go down and kill or capture all left handed redheads in a particular area, but if they tell us to, we can. We will."

Argh. Must go read Starship Troopers again. Good to see I'm not the only Heinlein geek here.

May have missed this, but does anybody know if this thing guards against chemical, biological, and nuclear radiation?

Am I the only person giggling thinking about this being used in the counterinsurgency role?  Robocop meets a skinny door...

Just an edit to add:
In a day where getting popular support for what we do seems to waver, I'd like to say my helmet's off to this guy.  He's putting a lot of hard work and thought into preserving our lives.

It might not protect neck and joints just yet, but he only has 15K invested into it. With a few more mils, and that fancy liquid armour and/or dragon skin thing it might turn up a good thing. Current armour still transfers shock to the body, bullet not penetrating wont really help if internals look like jello. Also, did anyone else noticed that cheek part of his "helmet" resemble a paintball mask?

Back