• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reaction to soldiers' deaths 'is really going over the top,' retired general say

I think the true return to tradition will be observed if we do not half-mast the national symbol for passing of everyone of "national significance".  Over the past few years, it was not just being lowered for soldiers but for politicians and the tragic death of the multiple Mounties and provincial policemen, as well.

Polite, calm, and coherent letters to editors explaining your position can be quite effective - even when their initial attitudes are firmly against you. They can have considerable effect in swaying general public opinion as well.

So far, they've concentrated upon the viewpoints of those who support the media's position. It's always easy to drum up such support when one is in control of what sees print or screen. Most papers are pretty fair about publishing opposing views, however, and they either present equal numbers from both sides or publish according to the ratio of letters of each point-of-view.

I've been fighting successive waves of firearms legislation for almost three decades and we eventually, with considerable help from the Auditor-General, managed to turn them around.

There'll be lots more sympathy for your views on this. Just keep it civil.

Over the last day I've written to Rick Mercer (and received a very decent and humorous reply quite quickly), Toronto Sun columnist Thane Burnett, the Toronto Star, and Charles Adler. More will follow later today.

I know its been said..but I want my 2cents in here !!

I dont know why the media gets mad when we dont lower the flag or they cant watch the fallen come home. Yet when the forces need equipment or do something amazing they are never there to tell that story!!! Its funny how these same people who complain about these two things are not the same people that back us when we need it the most. They just seem to join the battle when its against the government.

I for one agree with the General.
:salute: :cdn:

Loachman I'm curious as to what Adler had to say.  Any chance of PMing me with his comments?

The column can be found at http://winsun.canoe.ca/News/Columnists/Adler_Charles/2006/04/26/1550723.html and also on his home page.

There are a lot of articles, columns, editorials, and letters worthy of responding to. It's difficult to get to more than a few of them though.

Back