• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

There is only one PM who was hated as much as JT. Three guesses who it was - it wasn't Chretien or Martin. Harper was hated but not like this one.
I actually think history will be very kind to Stephen Harper. His fiscal restraint and steady hand will be looked at very positively in a few years.

Being in BC at the time, I'd respectfully disagree.
Correction: Being in Vancouver + Victoria/Lower Vancouver Island 😉

Protests are great, as long as they don't inconvenience anyone.
You’re being obtuse. ‘Inconvenient’ protests happen in Ottawa regularly. A couple days a week in the spring, summer, and fall, some cause or another will jam up streets for an hour and force traffic to lose a bunch of time finding another route. Today it may be the Palestinians, tomorrow the anti-abortion crowd and the day after that the pro-choice crowd. Foreign leader visit? Get ready for some major jams. And then within a couple hours or half a day it clears out, people gradually stop grumbling, and carry on.

‘Inconvenient’ is not someone being unable to sleep for two weeks due to truck horns, and being unable to make rent because both of their service or retail jobs were closed for three weeks. It’s not ambulance dispatching having to completely adjust how it sends ambulances to calls because they cannot trans a portion of downtown. It’s not people who chose to wear masks being harassed throughout the downtown core. It’s not people with lawful business being unable, for several weeks, to use major downtown thoroughfares.

But of course you know all this because it’s all been said repeatedly before.

Except rural areas are given disproportionately large representation in federal and provincial governments - urban votes are worth significantly less than rural.
Tell that to the residents of the four western provinces who may have the votes but generally the GoC is elected once Ontario votes.

I am from Saskatchewan and it seems that when its convenient for Ontario it actually pays attention to the West.

Harper was hated but not like this one.

Being in BC at the time, I'd respectfully disagree.

For those of us not familiar with B.C. politics,

There are 42 ridings in total in B.C., with six new additional ridings this election. Other ridings’ boundaries were changed to create a new riding.

You’re being obtuse. ‘Inconvenient’ protests happen in Ottawa regularly. A couple days a week in the spring, summer, and fall, some cause or another will jam up streets for an hour and force traffic to lose a bunch of time finding another route. Today it may be the Palestinians, tomorrow the anti-abortion crowd and the day after that the pro-choice crowd. Foreign leader visit? Get ready for some major jams. And then within a couple hours or half a day it clears out, people gradually stop grumbling, and carry on.

‘Inconvenient’ is not someone being unable to sleep for two weeks due to truck horns, and being unable to make rent because both of their service or retail jobs were closed for three weeks. It’s not ambulance dispatching having to completely adjust how it sends ambulances to calls because they cannot trans a portion of downtown. It’s not people who chose to wear masks being harassed throughout the downtown core. It’s not people with lawful business being unable, for several weeks, to use major downtown thoroughfares.

But of course you know all this because it’s all been said repeatedly before.
You really need to find a new chew toy, you know that? I don't know how many times I need to explain to you just how serious almost every post of mine actually is. Might I suggest switching to DeCaf for a while?

Prince Edward Island has entered the chat

(Yes, I know, constitutional compromise)
Yup. Unless you want to forcibly re-distribute people across provinces, rural votes may count more than urban. Having said that, the GTA and Greater Montreal area ridings predetermine fed elections results. You can't suck and blow at the same time

You really need to find a new chew toy, you know that? I don't know how many times I need to explain to you just how serious almost every post of mine actually is. Might I suggest switching to DeCaf for a while?
Nah, I think you’re using that as a dodge on this one. Nearly every other post of yours on this thread (including in the past where you’ve made glib references to the ‘inconvenience’ thing) have been posted in apparent seriousness, and rightly so. There are a few people on this site that as a rule I don’t take seriously. Because you usually have some insightful takes on things, I actually see you as quite the opposite.

You’ve been clear that you didn’t support the protest itself (‘waste of diesel’ I think you said) but you’ve also been clear that you feel very strongly about the right to peaceful protest; which is cool, I do too. I think in the case of this particular protest, you’ve given way too much leeway to the crap that was allowed to continue. Unfortunately, in your glibness on this one, you’re adding to a narrative a lot of us in the city are hearing from those not here, that dismisses and minimizes the impact this had on our community. Not so much a matter of you being a ‘chew toy’, I just think you have a bad take on something that’s important to me, and it’s a take I’ll usually have something to say about whoever it’s coming from.

Yup. Unless you want to forcibly re-distribute people across provinces, rural votes may count more than urban. Having said that, the GTA and Greater Montreal area ridings predetermine fed elections results. You can't suck and blow at the same time
Well, PEI is a unique case, but yeah, I accept the reality that in an effort to make federal districts ‘make sense’, there’s some overweighting in some cases. When I lived in the territories I was in such a riding.

< snip> a narrative a lot of us in the city are hearing from those not here, that dismisses and minimizes the impact this had on our community.

I watched it on TV from home. But, for those of you who served the community, Thank-you and :salute:

Except rural areas are given disproportionately large representation in federal and provincial governments - urban votes are worth significantly less than rural.
Sure but that was done deliberately to get them to agree to Confederate because they would be in an even weaker political position if it were not the case.

Northern Ontario is a perfect example of this problem. Northern Ontario should in all reality, be its own Province. I'm not even sure Queens Park wants Northern Ontario, it certainly doesn't want to invest in it. It is more than happy to collect mineral royalties and corporate taxes though, provided someone else pays for everything.

The Urban Areas of Canada treat Rural Canada like a big cup of milk. They dip their cookies in it but never refill the milk.

Bingo! The whole, Rural Canada gets proportionally more voting power than Urban Canada is a tired line.

Elections are decided in Montreal and Toronto, everyone knows it.

Nah, I think you’re using that as a dodge on this one. Nearly every other post of yours on this thread (including in the past where you’ve made glib references to the ‘inconvenience’ thing) have been posted in apparent seriousness, and rightly so. There are a few people on this site that as a rule I don’t take seriously. Because you usually have some insightful takes on things, I actually see you as quite the opposite.

You’ve been clear that you didn’t support the protest itself (‘waste of diesel’ I think you said) but you’ve also been clear that you feel very strongly about the right to peaceful protest; which is cool, I do too. I think in the case of this particular protest, you’ve given way too much leeway to the crap that was allowed to continue. Unfortunately, in your glibness on this one, you’re adding to a narrative a lot of us in the city are hearing from those not here, that dismisses and minimizes the impact this had on our community. Not so much a matter of you being a ‘chew toy’, I just think you have a bad take on something that’s important to me, and it’s a take I’ll usually have something to say about whoever it’s coming from.
I actually have no issue with breaking up the protest. I think it's completely reasonable that it was broken up and thought the police did an excellent job using the minimum amount of force required.

I have a huge issue with the mechanisms used by the Trudeau Government. Forcing Banks to freeze bank accounts, weaponization of monetary systems, the misuse of the Emergency Act.

None of these actions were required. Existing laws could have been used. I hope Trudeau, Freeland and Co end up eventually paying dearly for their lack of leadership but I won't hold my breath.

I watched it on TV from home. But, for those of you who served the community :salute:
Nah, I’m not even talking about me personally being down there mixed up in it. That was just a few days of work and some time away from family over a few weeks. That’s nothing anyone on this site would be fazed by. I’m talking about the impact on those in our city who don’t have a nice house in the suburbs and weren’t insulated by wealth and distance from being directly impacted by it when they tried to sleep or go to work. I have friends whose lives were really screwed up for some time by this. We also have a whole city wrestling with whether it can even rely on its own police service.

So that’s where my really intense engagement comes from; not the fact that I personally had to deal with a few people who were being idiots. The convoy was nothing new there, it was just concentrated and sensational in that regard.

I had said it much earlier in the thread, but the blockade at the bridge in Windsor was, IMHO, the greater threat to the national interest.

Back