• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Effing city hall in Ottawa. Instead of trying to recover they pass a decree about redoing Valentine’s Day on 14 march because the city missed Valentine’s Day.

FML. Time to vote those guys out,
Qu’est-ce fuck?

We could have an entire thread on Ottawa City Hall incompetence and corruption. The folks in Centretown may be cheering the "occupation" if that was the catalyst that exposed and tossed out the Watson Cabal.

If I understand the timeline there was an online campaign that became active on January 14 when fundraising commenced.
8 days later, January 22, trucks started rolling from distant locations like Prince Rupert and Smith Falls.

7 days later, January 29, the trucks arrived in Ottawa
with, apparently, a useful contingent of local supporters waving them into town.
Also on January 29 Coutts border crossing blockaded by local truckers and farmers.

7 February, Ambassador Bridge blockaded
10 February, Pembina crossing in Manitoba blockaded
11 February, Biden calls Trudeau
11 February, Mayor of Windsor granted an injunction against the Ambassador Bridge blockade
12 February, a Saturday, a group of sympathizers from Chilliwack gathered at Vancouver's commercial crossing to Blaine on Hwy 15
13 February, the Hwy 15 crossing was open.
13 February, the Ambassador Bridge was cleared and opened - Windsor Police, OPP and available police reinforcements
13 February, Minister Blair "urged the (Ottawa) police to do their jobs, enforce the law and restore order".[393][251] Police enforcement of "layers of laws, injunctions, and emergency orders already in effect" was minimal,

14 February, guns seized at Coutts
14 Emergency Measures Act invoked
15 February, Coutts blockade collapsed and cleared. Site left the way the protestors found it according to the Mayor.
16 February, Pembina blockade collapsed and cleared.
17 February, debate on Emergency Measures Act postponed due to police actions to clear protesters
19 February, Ottawa cleared of truckers
21 February, Emergencies Act debated and passed

21 February, Opposition in the Commons tables Section 59 motion to revoke the Emergency Measures Act
22 February, Senate balks at passing the legislation without access to secret information
23 February, Emergency Measures dropped by the government
23 February, Ottawa City Council votes to reschedule Valentine's Day for March 14 because it had been missed due to the Freedom Occupation.

I suggest we are all victim of the Ottawa version of the Map of Canada. Only their view doesn't extend past Wellington Street.

The locals couldn't get to work and were having trouble sleeping and they didn't think the local constabulary was addressing their concerns adequately. Then they discovered the constabulary didn't actually work for the federal government. But they could fix that.

Edited to bring up to date on 23 February.

Don't forget Chiarelli; the guy is only still on council because council couldn't fire him for being a greasy sex pest, and he is too morally vacant to resign.

If they really wanted to get rid of the protestors, they should have given them free LRT passes. After spending half a day stuck on a train that failed because it is too cold/wet/hot/dry/Tuesday, and stuck in a station that is flooded/full of sewage/covered in ice/outside in the snow they probably would have left on their own accord out of pity to Ottawa public transit users.

The LRT is probably the single biggest impediment to getting people to go back to work downtown (ever). They managed to take an okay and semi reliable bus system and cripple it with a high volume train on a dedicated track, that costs more than the old bus system. Even the beaverton can't write that kind of stuff

Ok, let me get this straight…

The government said as late as this morning that the Emergencies Act will remain in place for a while yet…

…this afternoon, some Senators say “Now it’s our turn to look at this and we have questions “…

…and later on the government says “Ok, we don’t need this anymore. We’re done. “

Was the Senate going to turf this motion and the government revoked the motion so it wouldn’t embarrass them?

Or is it all a coincidence? Enquiring minds want to know!

🤔

The government said as late as this morning that the Emergencies Act will remain in place for a while yet…

…this afternoon, some Senators say “Now it’s our turn to look at this and we have questions “…

…and later on the government says “Ok, we don’t need this anymore. We’re done. “

Was the Senate going to turf this motion and the government revoked the motion so it wouldn’t embarrass them?

🤔
I think they said “for as long as it takes or as necessary” but I don’t know 🤷‍♂️

🤔
Can a government fall if a confidence bill is defeated by the senate?

I don’t think so. It just won’t become law. The PM still has the confidence of the House as long as the house passes the motion.

I stand to be corrected though.

But it would look bad.

From the preface to SENATE PROCEDURE IN PRACTICE.

". . . While it has the same duty as the House of Commons in holding the government of the day to account, the Senate has never had a role in challenging the mandate of the government through a vote of confidence. . . ."

🤔
Postmedia News
Publishing date:
Feb 23, 2022 • 3 hours ago • 2 minute read (Reference 17:42 Alberta Time - MST or 19:42 Ottawa Time -EST)
Trudeau's announcement was at 16:00 Ottawa Time - EST, or 14:00 Alberta Time - MST
The Toronto Sun release seems to have been at 16:42 Ottawa Time. Or just minutes after Trudeau declared "Never Mind!"

Back