• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Interesting video of the RCMP allegedly trying to conduct a "surprise inspection" on a restaurant who stayed open during the protests and served protestors.

I wonder if Enrico and Deborah Kuhn will be promptly arrested, have their bank account frozen, and business license revoked.
That’s Ottawa Police and Bylaw, not RCMP. It wasn’t an inspection; police were attempting to arrest some protesters who had fled into the cafe with the doors then locked. I guess a decision was ultimately made not to force entry? I don’t know what followup resulted.

That looks like Ottawa municipal enforcement. I'm not seeing the "forcing them to close" or "breaking down the door" parts. It looks to me like the proprietors weren't letting them in. Perhaps they wanted to serve them for violations observed during the protest.
Could very well be, think you're right about it not being RCMP.

I wouldn't be surprised if protestor-friendly establishments become criminals as well.

That’s Ottawa Police and Bylaw, not RCMP. It wasn’t an inspection; police were attempting to arrest some protesters who had fled into the cafe with the doors then locked. I guess a decision was ultimately made not to force entry? I don’t know what followup resulted.
Ah right on. My mistake. Seems strange the police wouldn't try to force entry but maybe they're paying more attention to optics.
Definitely have some egg on my face on this one 🙄

Last edited:
I’m speculating here: Forcing entry, through a double doorway, into a business with a bunch of pissed off people inside, who you want to arrest and will potentially resist you, plus unknown number of other patrons who may be like-minded, may not be a wise or ‘worth it’ tactical choice against the risk of injury. There are other ways to handle the situation using some patience.

I’m speculating here: Forcing entry, through a double doorway, into a business with a bunch of pissed off people inside, who you want to arrest and will potentially resist you, plus unknown number of other patrons who may be like-minded, may not be a wise or ‘worth it’ tactical choice against the risk of injury. There are other ways to handle the situation using some patience.
Eventually the food runs out....

Gas, gas and more gas. Seriously it's Ottawa, it's not like they have a PKM sandbagged in back -
Looks to be 8 Officers, flipping the sign to closed was just an asshole move by the people in the restaurant. I'm fairly sympathetic to the concept of the protest - but effectively flipping off the Officers outside is just asking for additional troubles. Don't want to open the door - fine I'll remove a window with my baton, and add a few charges to the original ones. Yes perhaps I am more confident in my abilities if things go sideways - but any LEO needs to accept some risk comes with the job, and enforcing the law is kind of a big part of putting on a badge.

Interesting video of the RCMP allegedly trying to conduct a "surprise inspection" on a restaurant who stayed open during the protests and served protestors.

I wonder if Enrico and Deborah Kuhn will be promptly arrested, have their bank account frozen, and business license revoked.
Can’t even get the agency right?

I guess “facts” only matter when they are the right ones

Can you explain how the video was interesting when you didn’t know what was on it? Or was it just the colours that caught your attention?

Gas, gas and more gas. Seriously it's Ottawa, it's not like they have a PKM sandbagged in back -
Looks to be 8 Officers, flipping the sign to closed was just an asshole move by the people in the restaurant. I'm fairly sympathetic to the concept of the protest - but effectively flipping off the Officers outside is just asking for additional troubles. Don't want to open the door - fine I'll remove a window with my baton, and add a few charges to the original ones. Yes perhaps I am more confident in my abilities if things go sideways - but any LEO needs to accept some risk comes with the job, and enforcing the law is kind of a big part of putting on a badge.
But there are often other ways to the same end - get somebody to court - without starting another shit-show in a sea of shit-shows. As mentioned, we don't know what the offender was wanted for and what follow up occurred after the camera was off. At the FN Tyendinega rail blockage a few years back, most of the arrests and charges happened after the fact. Depending on the circumstances, 'obstruct police' sounds like a good start.

It may cost them their business licence. If Ottawa is like most municipalities in Ontario, bylaw enforcement typically has the right of entry during normal business hours.

Can you explain how the video was interesting when you didn’t know what was on it? Or was it just the colours that caught your attention?
Sure but only because you asked nicely.
I believed the explanation I read about the incident and thought the prospect of police punishing people who supported the protest was an interesting development. The language surrounding who the police will be going after is very ambiguous as you've read.
Speaking of colours and agencies, we're these more kids in uniform or was this crew actual professional officers?

Last edited:
My daughter brought this to my attention. It exploded on both social and traditional media including CNN and AP:

Apparently (I have to say that since I have only 2nd hand), the original TicToc post was made by a CAF member who is being released because of COVID and is hell-bent on going out in a blaze of glory.

I swear we need to find a way to aerosolize Prozac and finally put some truth to the chem-trails conspiracy.

Back