• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Foreign Medals Regulations

Matt_Fisher

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering what the regulations are for CF pers. who have been awarded a foreign medal while they were not a member of the CFs.  Are they authorized to wear them while in uniform?

Matt_Fisher said:
Hi,

I'm wondering what the regulations are for CF pers. who have been awarded a foreign medal while they were not a member of the CFs.   Are they authorized to wear them while in uniform?

Foreign awards are last in the order of precedence, worn at the end of the ribbon bar.

I've seen ex British soldiers, for example, wear the General Service Medal ribbon on the Canadian ribbon bar, at the end.

Some "foreign" distinctions other than medals are worn, for example, jump wings.

Hi,

I once worked with an ex USAF member who got out, came up here and enrolled in the Cdn Army. He wore some, but not all, of his American awards/ecorations.

I couldn't tell you which ones. This was 40-45 years ago, and I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning !  ;D

All the best    Drummy

So someone who'd served in a non-commonwealth, ie. US or French military could wear those medals earned?

Is there anything specifically about foreign decorations in the dress regs?

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/clients/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/medals/wearmedals

Foreign Medals Last -The Jubilee and/or Coronation medals are worn after campaign stars and medals and are followed by Long Service or Efficiency decorations and medals. Authorized foreign orders, decorations and medals are worn last in order of date of award irrespective of nationality.

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/018-06_e.asp

CFAO 18-6 -- COMMONWEALTH AND FOREIGN ORDERS, DECORATIONS AND MEDALS

1.     The award of an order, decoration or medal by a foreign power to a
member of the Canadian Forces (CF) is governed by the "Policy Respecting
the Awarding of an Order, Decoration or Medal by a Commonwealth or Foreign
Government". The policy, promulgated by the Privy Council, is reproduced in
Annex A.

2.     For the purposes of this CFAO, "foreign power" includes other nations
of the Commonwealth.

3.     When a unit or individual is approached by a representative of a
foreign power in respect of a foreign award, the representative shall be
tactfully informed that Canadian Government concurrence in the award should
be sought through normal diplomatic channels, that is via the foreign
ministry to the Canadian Department of External Affairs. Without such
concurrence, the award will not be recognized in Canada and may never be
worn or displayed with official Canadian awards.

4.     Each request is adjudicated by a government Honours Policy
Sub-committee. If concurrence is granted, the foreign power may notify
directly the individual or unit concerned of presentation arrangements. The
individual or unit shall pass this information immediately to NDHQ/DC
(Director Ceremonial) by message, with copies to the chain of command.

5.     If, despite tactful advice, a foreign government presents a member of
the CF with an order, decoration or medal at an official function without
gaining prior Canadian government approval, the member diplomatically
cannot refuse the award. The member shall not wear it thereafter, but shall
refer the case to NDHQ/DC with a full explanation of the circumstances.

6.     A member who was awarded an order, decoration or medal by a foreign
power prior to enrolment may be granted approval to wear the insignia and
ribbon while in uniform. To obtain approval the member shall submit a
written request to the member's commanding officer (CO), accompanied by
documentary proof of the award. The CO shall forward the request with the
original or photocopy of the documentary proof, through normal channels, to
NDHQ/DC.

7.     If a member is granted authority to wear a foreign award, a copy of
the authority shall be filed on the Unit Personnel Record and the NDHQ
personal document file.

(C)                                     1605-18-6 (DC)

Issued 1989-06-23

INDEX
Honours & Awards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANNEX A -- POLICY RESPECTING THE AWARDING OF AN ORDER, DECORATION OR MEDAL BY A COMMONWEALTH OR FOREIGN GOVERNMENT
Issued by Clerk of the Privy Council and Secretary to the Cabinet, January
1988)
1.     Any Commonwealth or foreign government desiring to award an order,
decoration or medal to a Canadian citizen shall obtain the prior approval
of the Government of Canada.
2.     Commonwealth and foreign governments desiring to award orders,
decorations or medals to Canadian citizens shall submit their proposals to
the Government of Canada through their diplomatic missions in Canada.
3.     The Government of Canada will consider granting the approval referred
to in section 1 for the awarding of an order, decoration or medal offered
in recognition of:
    (a)  an extraordinary service to mankind;

(b)  conspicuous bravery in saving or attempting to save life;

(c)  any exceptional service rendered to the country desiring to make
         the award; or

(d)  any substantial act or acts contributing to better relations
         between Canada and the country desiring to make the award.

4.     The Government of Canada SHALL NOT grant the approval referred to in
section 1 for an award:

(a)  that is at variance with Canadian policy or the public interests;

(b)  that carries with it an honourary title or confers any precedence
         or privilege;

(c)  that is conferred otherwise than by a Head of State or a
         government recognized as such by Canada;

(d)  that is conferred in recognition of services by an individual in
         the employ of Her Majesty in Right of Canada or of a province in
         the normal performance of official duties; or

(e)  that is in respect of events occurring more than five years
         before the offer of the award.

5.     The Honours Policy Committee may advise and recommend on the
interpretation and application of this policy and on the disposition of
cases arising therefrom.

Issued 1989-06-23

Gunner,

Thanks!  However the document you posted seems to deal with a serving CF member receiving a foreign award while they are a member of the CFs.

I'd like to know what the regulations are for someone who'd served in a foreign military and received awards then later, joined the Canadian Forces.  What are the regulations, if any discussing the policy on wearing awards they'd received in foreign service?

Gunner said:
http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/clients/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/medals/wearmedals

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/018-06_e.asp

CFAO 18-6 -- COMMONWEALTH AND FOREIGN ORDERS, DECORATIONS AND MEDALS

6.     A member who was awarded an order, decoration or medal by a foreign power prior to enrolment may be granted approval to wear the insignia and ribbon while in uniform. To obtain approval the member shall submit a written request to the member's commanding officer (CO), accompanied by documentary proof of the award. The CO shall forward the request with the
original or photocopy of the documentary proof, through normal channels, to NDHQ/DC.

7.     If a member is granted authority to wear a foreign award, a copy of the authority shall be filed on the Unit Personnel Record and the NDHQ personal document file.

My bad...I missed that paragraph while reading through.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.  :salute:

Does Canada have anything similar to the USA's Purple Heart medal?

Like if a Canadian is wounded in battle do we get anything at all?

Also can Canadians be awarded medals from other nations if they serve with them.

Example. If a Canadian went to Iraq and served his time could he be granted the Iraq Champain Medal?

How does this work?

Also is there a list of all the canadian awards and medals some place to read more on this, its a very interesting subject to me.

Canadians get a "Wound Stripe" that is worn on the lower right sleeve of the uniform.  As far as foreign awards go,see this site http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/engraph/home_e.asp

Magma said:
Also can Canadians be awarded medals from other nations if they serve with them.

Also is there a list of all the canadian awards and medals some place to read more on this, its a very interesting subject to me.

Yes, Canadians can wear foreign decorations under certain circumstances.  See the site provided by ARG and also: http://www.gg.ca/honours/index_e.asp for more info.

as far as i know it does not matter how high of a medal or decoration you get from a different country, it is always worn to the far right of any medal or decoration from your countries medals.

-Hutch- said:
it is always worn to the far right of any medal or decoration from your countries medals.

All foreign medals or medals that are not on the Canadian Governements list of Orders and Decorations (ie medals awarded by countries or provinces other than the one you are serving in) are worn on the left or last in the order of precidence after long service medals.

c4th said:
All foreign medals or medals that are not on the Canadian Governements list of Orders and Decorations (ie medals awarded by countries or provinces other than the one you are serving in) are worn on the left or last in the order of precidence after long service medals.

Looks like Hutch is dressing in the mirror again.    ;D

There are exceptions, of course to the 'general' rules....ie. the Victoria Cross, if awarded by another Commonwealth Nation, would not follow the CD.

George Wallace said:
Looks like Hutch is dressing in the mirror again.     ;D

There are exceptions, of course to the 'general' rules....ie. the Victoria Cross, if awarded by another Commonwealth Nation, would not follow the CD.

Well not really - it is not an exception since the VC is on the list of Orders and Decorations  ;)

Medals awarded from another country must be approved by DHH(Directorate of Heritage and History) before being accepted for wearing. If awarded a medal for Iraq by the US it can't be worn as Canada has decreed that the SWASM(South West Asia Service Medal)  will be awarded in lieu. Does that answer the question? The others were already answered above.

DELTADOG13 said:
If awarded a medal for Iraq by the US it can't be worn as Canada has decreed that the SWASM(South West Asia Service Medal)   will be awarded in lieu.

Hmmm.... not necessarily.  At least not if you use Op Apollo as a baseline example.  All members who deployed with 3 PPCLI BG received the SWASM with Afghan bar.  However, that didn't stop DHH from authorizing the awarding of 30+ U.S. Army Bronze Star medals to the unit snipers ("V" for valour) and senior leadership (meritorious).  All of those were approved by DHH and announced by Government House. 

On the other hand, as far as the basic U.S. medal for service in Iraq is concerned I would tend to agree.  I know of at least one Canadian officer (PPCLI) serving on exchange with the U.S. Army in Iraq, and it is unlikely that he would be authorized to wear the U.S. campaign medal in lieu of the Canadian equivalent (eg. SWASM).  Then again, stranger things have happened....

Mark C said:
On the other hand, as far as the basic U.S. medal for service in Iraq is concerned I would tend to agree.   I know of at least one Canadian officer (PPCLI) serving on exchange with the U.S. Army in Iraq, and it is unlikely that he would be authorized to wear the U.S. campaign medal in lieu of the Canadian equivalent (eg. SWASM).   Then again, stranger things have happened....

The medal for Iraq is indeed the SWASM.  In the "strange" category, though, is the fact that it is worn with the "Afghanistan" bar!  ::) 

I am pleased to see someone knows about the wound strip. Not one person ever knew what it was on my sleeve. I am concerned though that the award of a wound strip is being watered down. It is issued for wounds recieved in action with the enemy, Friendlt fire does not count I and several other wound strip holders are non to pleased that they were issued in Afganistan to friendly fire incident wounds. Furthermore some issues of the stripe are occuring now for wounds recieved by accidental location not direct targeting. This kind of activity lowers the value of the award, like issueing 30+ bronze stars for a few days of battle thats so American.

Back