• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forces.ca

wle1

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi guys, is it just me or is forces.ca down most of the time. Everytime I go straight to the website by typing the URL in the address bar, I get a "this page cannot be displayed", but if I punch it into google search and click on a link that leads to somewhere in forces.ca it seems to work about 1 out of 10 times. I use internet explorer.

Right now I'm trying to apply to be an infantry soldier at my local reserves, and I'm trying to figure out what my other 2 choices would be on the application form.

Yeah the sites been down for a week or so now I've noticed. I'm sure if you needed help with picking a trade the guys on here wouldn't mind helping ya out.

You do know the correct address is www.forces.ca right? not just forces.ca

Yeah www.forces.ca, http://www.forces.ca.... Doesn't matter how I type it, it still doesn't work.

But as far as other trades go...

- I like being outside
- I like shooting guns
- I want to do this part time, just to get the hang of the military lifestyle. If I like it, I might become a full-time member
- I like moving around
- I finished grade 12, and have a certificate for automotive technician trade from BCIT
- I've been working all my life, except for 1 year @ BCIT and 1 semester at douglas college (for marketing)
- I like doing business (But since there are no "sales" type of jobs in the military, that's out of the question)
- I wouldn't mind going the air force or navy because I'm not picky

That's all I can think of ATM.

It works fine for me as well. Are you perhaps using a particularly antiquated version of Internet Explorer? I tried a few times using both IE 8 and Firefox 3.5.8.

As for your other question, check around at the other reserve units in your area and see if any of them seem to be doing something that you might like as well. From what you listed, it certainly seems like Infantry would probably be your best fit, but who knows, maybe Bos'n or Combat Engineer or something else might also pique your interest. Or you might end up deciding to just go ahead with only the one trade listed on your application.

gcclarke said:
It works fine for me as well. Are you perhaps using a particularly antiquated version of Internet Explorer? I tried a few times using both IE 8 and Firefox 3.5.8.

As for your other question, check around at the other reserve units in your area and see if any of them seem to be doing something that you might like as well. From what you listed, it certainly seems like Infantry would probably be your best fit, but who knows, maybe Bos'n or Combat Engineer or something else might also pique your interest. Or you might end up deciding to just go ahead with only the one trade listed on your application.

Yeah I am using the most updated IE and firefox.

Im having the same problem as well! Both in Chrome and IE 8, it is very annoying! I have reset my modem, my router, cleared my cache, all I could think of and it still is not working. I do not know what is wrong!? :(

Again,

It worked for me just now at 1157 (Z +3) using both links provided above.

The site goes down a fair bit I have noticed, but the original poster seems savvy enough that he can troubleshoot his internet connection when need be. Perhaps more advice on second and third trade choices would be helpful.

How ironic, someone comes on this unofficial site to bitch and moan about the official site.

That made my day.

Regards

wle1 said:
- I like doing business (But since there are no "sales" type of jobs in the military, that's out of the question)

You would be surprise. Skills gain from running a business and selling can be used in variety of occupations...selling an idea to an Officer or others, convince people of certain things, haggling and bartering with others, etc. Then there is logistics, maintaining supplies, and such.

I remember these guys who can practically sell anything no matter how useless or worthless a may be for anyone, and then apply these skills to get better deals in restaurants and stores, get themselves out of a speeding ticket, and such. They are like Obi-wan, but without the hand waving.

We're certainly not without our service interruptions here, so I'm staying quiet... ;)

Helps if you have a Ferrari for a computer. I'm running dual core Intel Extreme with Cross-Fire ATI Radeon PRO video cards at 512mb along with 8gigs of DDR3 OZ Ram =\ Spent nearly 4grand on my computer but that's because I love online gaming (Counter-Strike Source and Battlefield 1942.. ect).

This site doesn't load up to slowly, and the official website is always up unless Firefox doesn't connect to the server itself. Which would be their problem on their side.

Just remember, more RAM is like having a bigger brain. More you got, fast and smarter your computer becomes :) :rage:

It has been a hit or miss to weather or not forces.ca would load. Ironically it is working for me this morning... Is it possible that they are working on updating the site? I am looking forward to see what is on demand this fiscal year.
:cdn:

hamr37 said:
It has been a hit or miss to weather or not forces.ca would load. Ironically it is working for me this morning... Is it possible that they are working on updating the site? I am looking forward to see what is on demand this fiscal year.

Looking at the Weather Matrix for the location that has the forces.ca server, I can see that the weather is getting warmer, and that a mix of sun and clouds is in the forcast for the next five days, with less than a 30 per cent chance of precipitation.  I am not sure whether or not that is of any help to you, but thought I would pass it along just in case.

You have been a great deal of help. Thanks Mr. Wallace! You know, I could not for the life of me remember the proper spelling of "whether," so I decided to write down the closest thing to that. I knew someone would respond quickly to correct me, and I appreciate it. Now, the next time I have to write whether, I will remember it; and the next time you are writing about the forecast, you will remember that "e."
George Wallace said:
Looking at the Weather Matrix for the location that has the forces.ca server, I can see that the weather is getting warmer, and that a mix of sun and clouds is in the forcast for the next five days, with less than a 30 per cent chance of precipitation.  I am not sure whether or not that is of any help to you, but thought I would pass it along just in case.

P.S.
I'm not being disrespectful, I thought your post was pretty funny

wle1 said:
Yeah www.forces.ca, http://www.forces.ca.... Doesn't matter how I type it, it still doesn't work.

But as far as other trades go...

- I like being outside
- I like shooting guns
- I want to do this part time, just to get the hang of the military lifestyle. If I like it, I might become a full-time member
- I like moving around
- I finished grade 12, and have a certificate for automotive technician trade from BCIT
- I've been working all my life, except for 1 year @ BCIT and 1 semester at douglas college (for marketing)
- I wouldn't mind going the air force or navy because I'm not picky

That's all I can think of ATM.

You can either join the Army Reserve in your civilian trade - Vehicle Tech or do something different like combat arms: infantry, armour, artillery, combat engineers.  If you like doing sales, with enough experience you can join your unit's recruiting team which is really marketing and human resources rolled into one.  A quick glance at the internet shows you have multiple options in the Vancouver area.  Unless you are deadset on a particular unit you might want to start with the unit that is closest to your home to see what they have to offer and then work your way through a process of elimination.

Back