• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Forced Element Transfer

warlordnik said:
You'd think that after the member has signed a contract which lists the uniform he/she has agreed to wear, that such an important facet of the member's identity and pride cannot be whimsically stripped away.

Anybody else have any revelations or experiences in this regard?
Reference - everyone in the military circa the late 1960s.

I dont recall reading anything about DEU in my contract (i.e. Terms Of Service).  Its the military: orders are orders.

warlordnik said:
My question is - can a DEU change be forced on a member without his/her consent.

Some discussion here.

Forced Element Transfer 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/71989.0;nowap

ItimesR said:
I dont recall reading anything about DEU in my contract (i.e. Terms Of Service).  Its the military: orders are orders.

Its listed on my OT papers when I switched from Armour to Int - "DEU: Unchanged (Army)".  The OT is a new contract, as I've been told by an Admin O, as such the member has agreed to the articles of the OT for the term of service and I would expect the CF to honour its side of the bill.  A little naive, maybe, but colours matter.

Let me know how your campaign works out; I never "signed on" to wear pips & crowns.  :whistle:

Journeyman said:
Let me know how your campaign works out; I never "signed on" to wear pips & crowns.  :whistle:

I don't think I can help you out with that one.  ::)  I'm an Army NCM, no real rank or insignia changes coming my way yet.  Only officers are gettin' the pips and crowns for now.

On another note there's this that I found on another forum page, but it related to REQUESTING a DEU change.

CHANGE OF DISCTINCTIVE ENVIRONMENTAL UNIFORM (DEU)
CANFORGEN 029/02 ADMHRMIL 013 031330Z APR 02
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. ARMED FORCES COUNCIL (AFC) DEC 99
B. NATIONAL DEFENCE CLOTHING AND DRESS COMMITTEE (NDCDC) DEC 00
C. OPM 110-44 CAREER MANAGER GUIDANCE ENVIRONMENTAL UNIFORMS AL 2/92
D. A-AD-265-000/AG-001

THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO PROMULGATE THE REVISED POLICY FOR CHANGE OF DEU FOR REGULAR FORCE MEMBERS. THIS POLICY IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND SUPERCEDES THE (FORMER) GUIDANCE AT REF C. THIS POLICY DOES NOT APPLY TO THE RESERVE FORCE

THE CF MUST CONTINOUSLY BALANCE THE COMPOSITION OF ITS FORCE STRUCTURE WITH THE DEU DISTRIBUTION OF ITS SUPPORT MOCS. HOWEVER, IT IS RECOGNIZED THAT THERE MAY BE CIRCUMSTANCES WHEN A CHANGE OF ENVIRONMETAL UNIFORM MAY BE APPROPRIATE. THIS WAS AFFIRMED AT REFS A. AND B.

THE NEW POLICY FRAMEWORK IS AS FOLLOWS. THE POLICY APPLIES TO MEMBERS OF SUPPORT MOCS IE THOSE FOR WHICH CMS, CAS OR CLS ARE NOT THE MANAGING AUTHORITY. REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF DEU UNDER THIS POLICY IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT. IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED ELIGIBLE TO SUBMIT A CHANGE OF DEU REQUEST, BASIC TRAINING MUST HAVE BEEN COMPLETED AND THE MEMBER MUST HAVE SERVED FIVE YEARS BEYOND THE SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF MOC TRAINING

THE MEMBER WILL INITIATE THE PROCESS BY ADDRESSING A REQUEST TO THE CO, OUTLINING THE REASONS FOR DESIRED CHANGE OF DEU. THE CO WILL ASSESS THE REQUEST. IF SUPPORTED, HIS/HER RECOMMENDATION WILL BE ADDED TO THE REQUEST AND FORWARDED TO D MIL C FOR CONSIDERATION

D MIL C IS THE AUTHORITY TO APPROVE REQUESTS FOR CHANGE OF DEU. REQUESTS WILL BE EXAMINED CONSIDERING WHETHER THE CHANGE WILL PROMOTE MORALE AND ENHANCE OPERATIONAL FOCUS, AND WHETHER APPROVAL OF THE REQUEST WOULD HELP THE CF ACHIEVE ITS DEU DISTRIBUTION TARGET FOR THE MOC IN QUESTION. THE MEMBERS CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ALSO BE CONSIDERED, INCLUDING PREFERENCE FOR ENVIRONMENTAL AFFILIATION, PAST RECORD OF EMPLOYMENT WITH THAT ELEMENT, CONTINUING EMPLOYMENT WITH ENVIRONMENT, AND CAREER PROGRESSION. UNDER THE POLICY, A MEMBER MAY BE AUTHORIZED TO CHANGE DEU ONLY ONCE DURING HIS/HER CAREER. THE FACT THAT A MEMBER HAS ENVIRONMENTAL TRAINING GAPS DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THAT THEY CANNOT CHANGE DEU. THE FEASIBILITY OF HAVING THE INDIVIDUAL COMPLETE THE REQUIRED ENVIRONMENTAL TRAINING WILL BE CONSIDERED

A CHANGE OF DEU WILL NOT PREJUDICE THE SELECTION OF AN INDIVIDUAL FOR A SPECIFIC POSITION. POSTING PERSONNEL IN THE CF WILL CONTINUE TO BE BASED ON SELECTION OF THE PERSON BEST SUITED FOR THE POSITION

SCALE OF ISSUE FOR THE CHANGE OF DEU WILL BE THE SAME AS IF THE INDIVIDUAL HAD BEEN ENROLLED IN THAT DEU. ADDITIONAL CLOTHING REQUIREMENTS WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE MEMBER

DGMC HAS OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF THIS POLICY INCLUDING PUBLICATION OF APPROPRIATE ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS AS REQUIRED CONCERNING THE PROCESS

DHH HAS THE RESPONSIBILITY TO AMEND REF D. AS REQUIRED

Its too bad it doesn't spell out limits to DMilC's ability to force DEU changes but I liked how it adviced the CoC to take into consideration the member's wishes, experience in element, etc.  At least its something to reference if push came to shove.  But I shouldn't have too much trouble with my CoC - I'm in very good standing with them right now.  And its not like I'm not willing to work - I'll move to a brigade if necessary; I'll be happy wherever as long as I get to stay green.  :nod:

Not long ago, Image Tech's were told they're moving from RCAF to the Public Affairs branch, and as they were becoming 'purple' some would be changing DEU to Navy and Army.  If you know any Imagine Techs they might be able to tell you a little more on how it went for them/if people were 'forced' to change DEU, etc. 

Journeyman said:

:stirpot:

I don't recall anybody asking me for permission when my badges of rank were changed from pips and crowns to bars waaay back then.  :salute:

Loachman said:
Yes, and others in your trade wear blue, and you mix them up and get...

You'd look nice in purple CADPAT, too.

And here it is:

http://www.thepurplestore.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.cgi?pstore_id=5666&product_line=Home%20Page

http://www.militaryclothing.com/ImgUpload/P_198793_1212848.JPG

http://i1.cpcache.com/product/645836888/purple_camouflage_flip_flops.jpg?color=Black&height=460&width=460&qv=90

:)

Back