• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness Test

shado_wolf

Inactive
Reaction score
Now, I apoligize in advance. I know this has probably come up many times on this board but my search did not really answer my questions. I am working out (push ups, sit-ups and jogging), so that I‘ll meet the physical requirements. I have the situps and pushups at the level required but the run is still a little tough for me. I have been in retail for the last 7 years and have let my physical fitness slide. I have a bit of a gut (not huge) and the run takes me about 18 min. I walk some (probably too much) of it. I don‘t REALLY push my self like I should.

A friend of mine who is a Cpl in the Reg Forces told me to just apply "that is what basic is for" as he says.

Another friend who used to be in said pretty much the same thing.

I don‘t want to go apply and then screw up my application by not being fit enough. I know they list what you should be able to do but......

Any advice? Basically I want to apply now and get started.

Thanks,
Dylan

Well before i give my 2 bits I just want to tell you this is advise only (as your post ask for). I can tell you from being an instructor on a basic and other courses that it can make your life easier as far as the trg and physical aspect of things. More Physical training on your part will only make it better for you. The standards set out in the recruiting physical requirements are only the bare minimum. I stronlgy suggest for you to be able to do more then what the recruiting centre test provides as a minimum. On the other hand, I have seen people "out of shape" on the course pass the course. That is because they work up the Physical fitness level at basic. These people go through a heck of a hard time. Alot of pain and suffering (from PT of course) So I guess i ended up not helping much by touching on both sides. It is again up to you. If you think you can pass the standards now then join...and between now and your basic trg (BMQ) keep up the physical activity. You really shouldn‘t stop doing fitness once you are BMQ qualified. Being in the army, no matter what trade you are you should keep up your physical activities. Hope that helped a little.

:cdn:
"The enemy advancess, we retreat; the enemy camps, we harass; the enemy tires, we attack; the enemy retreats, we persue." MAO

From someone who has never found PT easy, even when (relatively speaking) "in-shape".... I always found the drill, weapons, and academic stuff easy, but always struggled in PT. I realize that for many, it is the other way around, or degrees of both. I guess what I am saying is - doing whatever you can do to make the PT easier will only give you more energy to focus on the other stuff. If you‘re having a hard time with PT, and having a hard time with the other stuff, you have a hard road in front of you. Hope that made sense.

Building on the two messages above, it really depends on the instructors, esp. the person leading PT. There are basically two types of people who lead PT: gazelles and non-gazelles. If your course officer runs marathons for the fun of it, the running will be challenging for almost everyone. They might run the platoon to the ground because they can, or they might work the platoon up to it -- again, it all depends on what training method/style s/he subscribes to. I haven‘t seen anything that says "Thou shalt run thy platoon into the ground for PT runs"...

You should worry more about getting yourself fit for the field portions of basic training than for PT in my opinion. Practice running on uneven ground (i.e. grass) so your ankles are used to the idea, and also speed-walking with a load. PT only lasts ~1 hour a day -- it‘s over pretty quick.

just my 2 cents.. I always had some difficulty
running as well. And I found out that it was
due to my breathing that was causing half of it
(form was the other).

Try this (if you‘re not already):
When you‘re breathing as you run, breathe
through your diaphragm. You should see your
stomach expanding (NOT your chest!).

Breathe deep and slowly.. but most importantly..
develop a rythm so that your breathing is time
to your pace. It helps alot.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Keep it coming. :)

Especially Kurokaze, I am breathing in my chest when I run.... When you were refering to form how did you correct that? Keep good posture (back straight)? or lean into the run?

I managed 15 minutes today so I am improving a little at a time.

Hopefully I‘ll be applying by the end of the month either way.

lets see.. keep in mind that I‘m no expert runner..

I try to maintain a straight posture. I have a
tendency to lean forward slightly when I start
to tire. It does help to spur you on, but you
become off balance.. so try to stay straight.

Head up, helps you breathe better I find.
You can look down occasionally to make sure
that your form is good.. and that you‘re not
going to trip over anything

In terms of arm pumping... I try not to move my
arms too much.. I find that it expends far too
much energy. I tend to keep it bent at roughly
90 degrees close to the body, slight movement
while running.

As for your legs/feet.. try to land on your heel
(don‘t overextend yourself though - when you land
your foot should almost be directly underneath
you) and roll off your foot.. kinda hard to
explain.. in general try to mimic olympic marathon
runners, very little upper body movement.

Just keep this in mind.. the moment you find
that your form is starting to go to **** ..
SLOW DOWN! maintaining proper form is
paramount compared to speed and endurance,
those two will come with time.

I guess most importantly though, is to make sure
that you are comfortable.. you need to find your
own stride and rythm. Invest in a good pair of
running shoes (I use Saucony trigons), wear comfy
loose clothing, keep your throat warm if you‘re
going to run outside (I say throat coz breathing
freezing cold air just plain sucks)

I hope this has helped.

I‘m also sorry. I know this is probably on the iternet somwhere or maybe even on this site but i‘d like to know what your fitness lvl should be at before u go to camp. About how many pushups should u be able to do, how may situp, chinups, and how fare u should be able to run. I‘m only 12 but I‘m thinking about going in the army reserve when i get older. Thanks.

I couldn‘t run that well about six months ago. I would run a mile then I would be dead tired.
Now I can run regularly no problem at good pace.

Start slow, run at a slow pace. Don‘t rush yourself. Take all the time in the world. Your goal should be 2 miles every other day for a week then add 2 miles per week. You‘ll eventually start to run faster.
Lean forward when you run so you don‘t create tension on your back and keep your arms at 90 degree angles and slight swing them across your chest when you run and breath according to your pace. Hope that helps.

For Cardio:

DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR WATCH WHILE RUNNING.
Check it after.

Why? To max cardio training, and for it to BE cardio training, you need to be working within about 70-80% of your max heart rate, which is called your target zone.

Your max is 220-your age.

You should be able to run and talk comfortably with someone beside you at the same time. Otherwise, you can buy a heart rate monitor from a sports store (about 100$).

I also concur that being physically fit will make everthing easier. Period. For some reason, course instructors like to pick on this one area the most. That and inspections :)

36 set-ups in 1 minute (19 required)
muscular strength: 101kg (the hand thing, 90 required)
And i completed stage 6 of the cardiorespiratory fitness test BUT ONLY 12 PUSH-UPS!! they were a lot harder than i thought... hands amost together. i cant do over 30 normal ones.
Do you think i can still get in the reserve?

Every person trying to get into the army must complete the entire physical training....

that means if you dont do 19 pushups....you dont get in

stage 6 eh. hmm, i didnt even know there was a stage 6. if its true you are insane. lol. stage 6 and only 12 pushups. hahaaaa, ha...
that would be crazy

Try going to the gym for a while before you go back for your physical. Bench-press is a very good excersise to increase your reps for push-ups.

Actually, the way they made me do the push-ups was much easier then the way i did them on my own. I must have increased my reps by at least 10 their way.

oh well.... the training starts in feb... Im losing time now :crybaby:

I will have to work hard... but nothing will ever get in my way of joining the reserve this year. Im going to train, and im going to eat this test i spit it out alive.

Did you mean stage 6 of the 20m shuttle run or the step test?

Hey Da_Man. You said you could do 12 push-ups with your hands almost together. The push-up in the fitness test is to have you hands below your shoulders. You could probably do enough of the right method to pass. To improve, do the standard bench press, the inclined bench press, the shoulder press, and the triceps (careful not to overtrain).

Back