• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fighter Pilot

Liberator said:
Trust me, Gay and Proud, my selfesteem won't be hurt. I was here to talk to some real pilots who want to inspire others, who have the same dreams that they once had.
Liberator:  Personal attacks are NOT on here.

Welcome to the warning system - use the time out to think about what others have shared here.

Milnet.ca Staff

Well, congratulations, young lad.

One day from registration to being moderated.

Not a record, but still pretty quick.

In addition to my colleague's previous post:

Liberator said:
I was here to talk to some real pilots who want to inspire others, who have the same dreams that they once had.

Your attitude has just reduced your chances of that considerably. You might want to adjust it, significantly, should you wish to benefit from this site or have a decent crack at a CF career.

One significant factor that you should consider while evaluating my suggestion is that, of the people on this site, one may be the Recruiter handling your enrollment, some may be Instructors on your various courses, including flying courses, and some may be your Flight Commander or Commanding Officer should you actually make it to a Squadron. Many of us know each other outside of this Site, and, yes, we talk to each other. We are also quite good at picking up clues and forming sound conclusions.

While the odds of one of those people making a link between you and your posts is small, it has happened in the past and some satisfaction has been derived from learning that a problem child on this site has flamed out on a course for precisely the same reasons.

Regardless, getting snitty with anybody who is likely to have any influence on your future is just plain stupid personal policy.

Okay, maybe a few people ribbed you a little. Maybe they should not have, but that's life and it's going to happen throughout and especially in the environment that you seek to enter. Get used to it, and learn to deal with it, else you'll alienate your peers as well as your superiors. Explain yourself calmly, or toss similar remarks back good-naturedly, as appropriate, and you'll probably do alright but outright insults, cheap shots, and airs of arrogance are not recommended.

Liberator said:
I was exaggerating when I said, I didn't want to be drafted

And we here can tell that you were exaggerating how? We do not know you yet, and there is no tone or body language to give any clues, so any expectation of being interpreted in any other manner than literally is baseless. We will, simply and reasonably, presume that you say what you mean and mean what you say.

Liberator said:
Also, my English is fine, it's actually my third language

In which case, you are doing quite well and I have a healthy respect for people who can communicate effectively in any language other than their own. There is always some room for improvement, however, even among those whose first language is English. More allowance is actually given here to people who obviously speak English as a second, third, or whatever language.

The CF values clear and effective verbal and written communication highly, as minor errors can cost lives, equipment, wasted time and effort, mission success, and/or huge sums of public money. As one progresses higher in rank and responsibility, a higher standard of communication (and of everything else) is expected. As the majority of people on this Site are or were serving CF members, including people of significant rank and responsibility, we have the same expectations here. Get used to being picked up for errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and sentence structure. Learn and benefit, or snark off and be treated accordingly. That holds true in real life as well.

Liberator said:
this is a forum between dudes with a common interest not an English tutoring club.

It is a forum for men, not "dudes", and women as well, with an interest in the CF. It is owned and operated by members and former members of the CF. In order to provide members, former members, would-be members, and interested civilians with a CF-like online environment it includes, yes, "an English tutoring club" as part of the package of benefits.

And don't try and tell people who help run this Site through donations of time and/or money what it is or is not. If you do not like what it is, feel free to start your own.

Liberator said:
Lets get the real men out.

You have. Many of the adults on this Site, and that includes real women as well as real men, have done far more than you can even begin to comprehend. If you want to be accepted on this Site and in the CF, you need to prove yourself to us. We have already proven ourselves to each other, and feel no personal need to prove ourselves to you, especially after your last couple of posts.

We owe you nothing at all. We'll go to great lengths, however, to help you out if we feel that you are worth the effort.

What happens from this point on is up to you. Take this lesson like a "real man", learn from it, benefit, and carry on or throw your Teddy in the corner and sulk off. Your choice.

By the way, I think that you might be worth some effort, or I would not have killed off the time that it took to compose this.

As for a choice of degree, it doesn't make any difference. A degree is merely an entrance requirement. Precious little will actually be of any practical value as a Pilot. You're not going to be composing sonnets or calculating the vertical stresses on synthetic widgets under high loads while trying to bomb the snot out of somebody at night.

You will be taught everything that you need to know on the courses that you will take, if you are selected. Up until somebody decided to justify RMC's continued existence, a high school diploma was the minimum educational requirement. Those under-educated pilots managed to stay alive, get to where they wanted to go, find, rescue, deliver, or blow up whoever or whatever they needed to, and lead others just fine.

...also consider keeping your mind open to capabilities other than fighters. 

As a young kid, I wanted to fly: a) on The Snowbirds, b) Starfighters, and c) Search and Rescue.  In the end, and not by my own choice initially, I did none of those but ended up in an incredibly interesting and rewarding organization, doing some things that didn't even exist at the time I joined.  Sure...keep a motivating dream/vision in your mind, but also don't be too disappointed if things don't go the way that you thought you wanted them to go.

Determination and hard work as well as a willingness to accept advice from others will go a long way.

:2c: more...

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
...also consider keeping your mind open to capabilities other than fighters. 

As a young kid, I wanted to fly: a) on The Snowbirds, b) Starfighters, and c) Search and Rescue.  In the end, and not by my own choice initially, I did none of those but ended up in an incredibly interesting and rewarding organization, doing some things that didn't even exist at the time I joined.  Sure...keep a motivating dream/vision in your mind, but also don't be too disappointed if things don't go the way that you thought you wanted them to go.

Determination and hard work as well as a willingness to accept advice from others will go a long way.

:2c: more...

Regards
G2G

I recall two very different people on my helo wings course.  Both REALLY wanted to go multi-engine.  One was a former Nav who wanted to stick with what was familiar and also wanted to be posted to Winnipeg due to health issues within the family.  The other was thinking years ahead and wanted the option to fly for Big Red when the time came.  Both were gutted when they got helos.

Here's where things diverge.  The Nav came in to the course thinking, "I'll give it to my first flight.  If I don't like it, I'll go back to Nav."  The other just came in with a bad attitude.

The Nav LOVED his first flight, never looked back, and topped the course (beat me by .5%!).  The other guy didn't realize until well past the point of no return that helos were actually a lot of fun.  He failed, is out of the CF and is flying for peanuts somewhere in northern Quebec.

Moral of the story - don't limit yourself to one choice.  You may end up screwing yourself out of something that could be just as good, if not better.

(This message has been brought to you by a woman who, at one point, was a Tac Hel pilot.)

Hello all,

I would like to apologize to the men and women on milnet for my last comments. I was uneducated about how this site runs and operates. However, I took the time to read all of the guidelines after I was muted. I felt like a few members made some jabs at me and since I am new to this forum and forums in general, I took it the wrong way. I did not in fact show my true self during those posts, I was pissed off and irritated due to several reasons and I made some immature comments. Don't take it the wrong way, I really didn't mean to be rude or ill-mannered. Hope that whoever I offended will accept my apology.

So far I have found the information on this forum insightful and the answers to my inquiries helpful. Prior to joining milnet, I had done months of research on becoming a fighter pilot in the CF. However, it only took a full day of reading on this site for me to clarify a lot of significant steps and prerequisites of an aspiring pilot. I am very grateful that I came across all of this valuable information. Therefore, I would be disappointed if I had lost this privilege.

Thanks Loachman for clarifying the information regarding my degree. I believe I am going to transfer into geography because I might learn more significant information than in my current degree of psychology. For example, Geo will cover subjects like weather patterns, features of land and cartography. I think Geography will be more valuable for aviation rather than psych and it might boost my application, even though they say any degree go's. I understand a lot of variables come into play like physical and mental aptitude, volunteer hours, work experience, perhaps flying experience and not just a candidates degree. I just want to do my best at as much of those factors as I can.

I appreciate everybody's help thus far, it is a difficult journey as you all know but, you men and women are making it making it that much easier to follow my dreams.

I am in fact a poor writer, but hopefully I expressed at least part of my sincere gratitude towards your help.

Done properly.

Carry on, and good luck.

Well played sir....well played.

Good luck in your application.  :)

And by the way, Liberator, everybody makes mistakes. What counts far more is how they recover from them, as you have demonstrated.

Just glad we got the negativity out of the way. Now, lets talk planes.  :jet:

That thing? The wings are seized. How can it fly?

Loachman said:
That thing? The wings are seized. How can it fly?

You have to start them turning by hand, then they go just fine.....isn't that what the GIB is for?

Liberator said:
I understand a lot of variables come into play like physical and mental aptitude, volunteer hours, work experience, perhaps flying experience and not just a candidates degree.

Don't forget experience in holding leadership positions!

jparkin said:
Don't forget experience in holding leadership positions!

Yeah, definitely! I'm currently volunteering and these hours are getting me some leadership experience. I also have some work experience in a managerial position. Good call though!

Great post SupersonicMax!

I have another quick question.  Surely there must be height/size requirements to fit in a CF-18.  Can you (or anyone else) tell us anything about this? Is there a definite maximum height?

Thanks again!

gobelin said:
Great post SupersonicMax!

I have another quick question.  Surely there must be height/size requirements to fit in a CF-18.  Can you (or anyone else) tell us anything about this? Is there a definite maximum height?

Thanks again!

Hi gobelin,

There are indeed height and size requirements to be a CF pilot, but they are a common standard to be enrolled as a pilot, not specific to the CF-18 or any other airframe. There is not a "definite maximum height", but rather a series of measurements. For instance, someone could be 6'4 and good to go, while another who is 6'2 may be too long from hip to knee to fit in ejection seat aircraft. Search around the forums for information on Aircrew Selection and you'll find lots.

Liberator said:
AGD or anyone else,

Besides Mechanical Engineering, could you suggest any other degrees to take, to enhance our applications. Would geography be a good course to study? Would an applicant even have a shot with a psychology degree?

And do they look at only your univ. gpa or at highschool grades as well?

FWIW, I was on Aircrew Selection with a guy who had a psych degree, had no previous flying experience and he made it through and is on BMOQ as we speak.
Also, I have  Mechanical Engineering degree with a 2.98gpa (not fantastic), and had an 80% avg in high school.  I got an offer in April for pilot but turned it down for personal reasons.

skrob said:
I got an offer in April for pilot but turned it down for personal reasons.

That must have been really tough...wasn't this your third attempt?  :eek:

AGD said:
That must have been really tough...wasn't this your third attempt?  :eek:
Yes & yes. By far the toughest decision in my 30 year life. But I'm proud I made it that far and made some good friends at ASC.

I think in theory, the younger you are, the more likely they will hire you.

Back