• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fighter Pilot

RDJP said:
Some might be surprised at how smart some people with the most "useless" degrees are...

I didn't say that there weren't, and I didn't use the word "useless" anywhere in that post.

Cheers

Corey said:
I didn't say that there weren't, and I didn't use the word "useless" anywhere in that post.

Cheers

Didn't say that you did, just a comment.  ;)

Fair enough - I just didn't want it to sound as though I was making a jab at those programs in particular. I was only using it as a comparison of the merits of a psych degree for relative importance in an application for pilot. 

Liberator said:
Thanks for the quick reply guys, I am in the process of changing my major for the upcoming semester.

I am considering a "useless" degree in order to get a higher gpa. I am just worried about my high school transcript, because I wasn't motivated back then and I had no aspirations. Do you guys think my outrageous grades from highschool will effect the committee's decision, even if my univ. grades are high?

thanks

I would suggest choosing a program which you enjoy.  Nothing worse than spending 4 years stuck learning a tedious or dull subject, particularly if it's mind numbingly easy.

If you enjoy Psych, talk to a recruiter to see if that program is acceptable.  (while on the subject, are you applying ROTP or DEO?)

Lol their not useless degrees, but I have some friends who have psych degrees and even economics degrees and arent finding jobs. Bachelor degrees on their own are quite "useless" unless a persons got a solid plan of what he/she can do with it.

I've actually got 2.5 years left to complete my bachelors and I am most likely applying as DEO. I only want to be a pilot, i wont be happy in any other trade. Therefore, Im dishing out myself for my degree, to minimize the risk of being drafted in a different trade in case I wont make.

cheers

I can admit to you that my chosen field of study is quite useless aswell  :-\ (in terms of employment. It is however perfectly useful with respect to my own interests).  It's all about the post grad when it comes to jobs.

Liberator said:
I've actually got 2.5 years left to complete my bachelors and I am most likely applying as DEO. I only want to be a pilot, i wont be happy in any other trade. Therefore, Im dishing out myself for my degree, to minimize the risk of being drafted in a different trade in case I wont make.

cheers

Here is something to consider - Suppose you applied ROTP and were accepted for pilot.  If for some reason things didn't go according to plan, and you had to take up another trade, then at the very least, you still have full time employment with great pay and benefits (compared to most university graduates).

While you are "paying back" the remainder of your subsidized time, you can be using that money towards a civilian commerical pilots license.  Then, when your obligatory service is up (which would only be ~3 years), you can choose to stay in, or leave and work on becoming a pilot in the civilian market.

Otherwise, you'd be out on the street with only an undergratuate degree and trying to find work to fund your passion for flying.

Edit: ...In addition to the debt taken on from your University program.

Just some food for thought.

Thanks Corey thats actually a great idea, something to really think about. I must have had the wrong information, because I thought as an officer you have to serve much longer ~7 years. Even doing the - serving 2 months for 1 month of school formula didnt add up to me serving only 3 years =S

You're absolutely right though about having good pay and benefits right out of school. I just finished Film school and I'm finishing my bachelors degree at the moment with a minor in film, so if I fall back on anything it'll probably that.

Great tip though, I'm going to deeply consider that option.

The 7 Years for pilot starts once wings qualified.

If you have 2.5 years of school left, that's really just 20 months of actual semester time (8+8+4). so 40 months = 3.3 years of obligatory service.

If you spent the entire 4 year degree in ROTP, it would be 5 years of obligatory service.

Corey

I was counting summer courses, therefore, you would roll up the number of months by 2 summers, 8 more months, a year and half of service more. Nevertheless, its a bright idea go the direction that you described. I'll definitely consider it.

Thanks

Liberator said:
to minimize the risk of being drafted in a different trade in case I wont make.

We don't draft people into anything.

From one of your other posts:

I'm thinking of paying for my degree on my own and not taking the governments dollar to avoid the risk of being drafted as an officer and possibly not getting a position as a pilot. 

Again, we do not draft anyone into anything.

BTW, pilots are officers.

Liberator said:
Lol their not useless degrees, but I have some friends who have psych degrees and even economics degrees and arent finding jobs. Bachelor degrees on their own are quite "useless" unless a persons got a solid plan of what he/she can do with it.

Hmm I have a "useless BA" and had no problems getting and maintaining a well paying and rewarding job with it. Mind I also located the spell check feature on my computer prior to sending my resume.  8)

Danjanou said:
Hmm I have a "useless BA" and had no problems getting and maintaining a well paying and rewarding job with it. Mind I also located the spell check feature on my computer prior to sending my resume.  8)

"Spell check" isn't going to catch the grammatical errors in that lad's posting, even my "useless" 11 Ontario high school credits could see that. ^-^

Liberator said:
Besides Mechanical Engineering, could you suggest any other degrees to take, to enhance our applications. Would geography be a good course to study? Would an applicant even have a shot with a psychology degree?

No, I just say mechanical engineering because it's a good fallback option, and if you're interested in flying, chances are good you're interested in science/engineering subject matter as well.

The CFRC will tell you for sure which degrees are acceptable for pilot and to my knowledge, there are very few that aren't.

Some might be surprised at how smart some people with the most "useless" degrees are...

Very true. Some of them land great jobs too.

I find that it's the individual who is useless, not the degree. Just my  :2c:

Bruce Monkhouse said:
"Spell check" isn't going to catch the grammatical errors in that lad's posting, even my "useless" 11 Ontario high school credits could see that. ^-^

True but a good grasp of the English language and rules of grammar as taught in Gr 11 back when we did it and a bit of common sense would have.  8)

Danjanou said:
When did you get the second job, bud?  ;D

Awh.......comeon guys....you're gonna hurt his esteem ....and then we just end up with a CDS.....instead of a pilot......

CDN Aviator said:
We don't draft people into anything.

From one of your other posts:

Again, we do not draft anyone into anything.

BTW, pilots are officers.

I know pilots are officers, thanks for your  :2c:. I was exaggerating when I said, I didn't want to be drafted, as in I do not want to do anything else besides being a pilot. Also, my English is fine, it's actually my third language and this is a forum between dudes with a common interest not an English tutoring club.

Lets get the real men out.

GAP said:
Awh.......comeon guys....you're gonna hurt his esteem ....and then we just end up with a CDS.....instead of a pilot......

Trust me, Gay and Proud, my selfesteem won't be hurt. I was here to talk to some real pilots who want to inspire others, who have the same dreams that they once had.

The way you act around here doesn't really make me want help you out.

Back