• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Goverment's Kinder Morgan pipeline purchase

Chris Pook said:
...In my view it is arguing for "levelling the playing field" by saying that if there are concerns about the effects of tankers then the same concerns are equally valid for every other hull in the water (including whale watching boats).

Which is actually a valid point about fairness to an industry that an environmental pressure was placing on it, but not others. Vancouver has heavy traffic of massive, fast moving comtainer ships that are just as dangerous if not more, than slower tankers. Last picture I recall seeing if a Right Whale ‘speared’ on a ships bulbous now, it was a container ship, not a tanker.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Last picture I recall seeing if a Right Whale ‘speared’ on a ships bulbous now, it was a container ship, not a tanker.

Regards
G2G

Wasn't it a cruise ship that subsequently docked at Canada place?

Yes. We almost rammed a Humpback that surfaced in front of our cutter. DFO placed blades on the front of their cutters to ram whales and basking sharks. They also wanted to mount a HMG at East Saturna Point to shoot the Killer Whales with. somewhere I have a report from DFO in 1922 where they borrowed a Lewis gun and veteran and proceeded to machine gun a Sea lion rookery with "Great Success" 

Lumber said:
Wasn't it a cruise ship that subsequently docked at Canada place?

Dang, that’s right, too!  Either way, not an evil oil-bearing emisary vessel of Satan.

You can see the full list of the recommendations and details of what they are looking for here; https://www.neb-one.gc.ca/pplctnflng/mjrpp/trnsmntnxpnsn/trnsmntnxpnsnrprtcndtn-eng.html

This one has me scratching my head;

The Governor in Council should actively support the development and implementation of greenhouse gas reduction measures related to marine shipping that would align with the final International Maritime Organization Strategy by year 2023 for reducing greenhouse gas emissions. These measures could include, but not be limited to:

facilitating the use of low-carbon alternate fuels (such as liquefied natural gas) for marine vessels by developing any necessary marine safety regulatory framework, training programs, and bunkering infrastructure requirements;
    use of energy efficient technologies, such as engine and propulsion upgrades and hull modifications; and
    market-based measures, such as providing economic incentives for industry investment in the development and use of energy efficient technologies, and offsetting any increases in ship emissions.

In implementing the measures, the Governor in Council could also consider a mechanism to establish and monitor such reductions and to develop regulations under an appropriate legislation.

Did some reading (see IMO link below) on the 2023 plan, but all the territoral waters in NA are already exhaust control areas (ECAs) so they are already limited in what fuel that they can use, with some new standards kicking in Jan 2020.  Canada is already part of the IMO (which is a UN organization) and normally adopts the resolutions as part of the CSA regulations.

Hard to wade through the jargon in the recommendations, but aren't we already actively involved in that? 

Their recommendations don't seem unreasonable on the surface, but from a quick read the ones that are under development are 5 year plus programs, and others also look pretty long term.  They are also all over the place in terms of responsibility, and would require a number of different GoC departments to do things, plus Canada/US work.  It seems pretty ambitious, can see why a private company would have walked away from this.  Plus it streches over more than one mandate, so even if someone starts today, it will grind to a halt during the election period, then need a restart when the BGHs change their minds and the implementation does a 180.

http://www.imo.org/en/MediaCentre/PressBriefings/Pages/18-MEPCGHGprogramme.aspx?__hstc=32645665.7ab734f9822a9c3981f04695664b9dc0.1541376000087.1541376000088.1541376000089.1&__hssc=32645665.1.1541376000090&__hsfp=528229161z

Apparently there is concern that there will not be enough Low Sulfur fuel to go around, hence the push for LNG fueled ships 

No coincidence that BC has Natural Gas, intends to use Natural Gas and intends to export Natural Gas ..... in competition with Oil from Alberta.

Oil which also competes with Coal exported by BC.

Coal exports are way up, a lot of our coal is for filters and coking. In fact Ridely Terminals is planning a 2nd berth to load LPG. I recently approved a LPG loading arm on their existing coal berth, but they forsee usage conflicts. 1 other LPG loading terminal is underway up there (Pembina) and another proposed (Vopak). also rumour of a LPG terminal in Kitimat as well, along with LNGCanada underway with one final FID to go.

Colin P said:
Coal exports are way up, a lot of our coal is for filters and coking. In fact Ridely Terminals is planning a 2nd berth to load LPG. I recently approved a LPG loading arm on their existing coal berth, but they forsee usage conflicts. 1 other LPG loading terminal is underway up there (Pembina) and another proposed (Vopak). also rumour of a LPG terminal in Kitimat as well, along with LNGCanada underway with one final FID to go.

I'm thinking that China just might just be driving some of that coal demand: https://www.indexmundi.com/energy/?product=coal&graph=consumption&display=rank

I assume they use environmentalists to spark the coking ovens...

Retired and unemployed Europeans don't need coal.  The Chinese might as well have it.

Interesting opinion article in the Financial Post concerning foreign activist investors looking to profit from oil and gas environmental litigation:

"Collusion between foreign interests and local eco-radicals is shackling Canada’s economic potential for years, and perhaps decades, to come, and Canadians have a right to know about this plot. Businesses, once killed, are not easily resurrected. Investors scared off by a hostile investment and legal climate may never return. That impacts real jobs and real people. The facts are known. The question is, what will our government do about it?"

https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/the-plot-to-murder-canadas-resource-sector-is-one-script-hollywood-wont-touch

And why, pray tell, is it only in the Financial Post?  It should be front page and above the fold in every major paper and hammered home by the leaders of both major parties together. Silence means collusion.

I noticed a good sized stockpile of pipe Just off of Hwy 1 near Hope.

https://www.transmountain.com/news/2019/trans-mountain-corporation-releases-first-quarter-2019-results

Back