• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallout Shelters

Heh.... am certain that it would make a tremendous demolition exercise to permanently put them out of action.

Dirt & Welds is good enough for a short period of time.  If the Gov't decides to dispose of the property, these bunkers will continue to pose a threat to some village idiot interested in exploring old government "secret" establishments.

Having read the posts on "bunkers" in the military, I worked as Chief Clerk in the Penhold (743 Comm Sqn 1983-85) and Nanaimo (740 Comm Sqn 1988 - 92) bunkers. In July 1992, my wife (a Tel Tech) was posted to the Carp bunker and I had a person tour of that one.

The bunkers both in Nanaimo and Penhold are totally gone!! Don't know how they did that but it was a good trick! There were two huge generators which kicked in automatically when the power was cut. It played hell with my computer when that happened!!

The comms bunkers were designed in the 1950s and built in the '60s as part of a Canadian Army project called Bridge and they were, perforce, known as Bridge Sites. The centrepiece of Project Bridge was a computer, at Carp, what would, for the first time in Canada, provide automatic telegraph (teletype) routing for DND - this was a pioneering step in the military's use of computers, on a par with the RCAF's SAGE (Semi Automated Ground Environment)/BUIC (Back Up Interceptor Control) system that were designed and built in the same era.

The big computer - a feeble giant compared to anything on your desktop today - in Carp was one of the few members of a family of UK machines that were, originally, designed for airport terminal approach control.

Project Bridge then formed the backbone for the integrated Canadian Forces Communications System, which became Communications Command which became ...

The first generation computer at Carp, and its eventual successors, replaced dozens, then many hundreds of TelOps manning staffing old fashioned, slow and error prone torn tape relay stations.

4345981_f520.jpg

A torn tape relay station

The "new" telegraph system was mated, in the same era, with a new, leased automatic telephone system that replaced the old manual switchboards.

4345993_f260.jpg

A manual switchboard

The army field force caught up, with automatically switched systems, about 20 years later, at the end of the 1970s.

During the ICE storm we bivved in a bunker located in Kemptville.
My parents home has a shelter, the floor of the basement is the roof of the shelter, my dad hangs all his meats in there and stores all the home made wine lol.

Back