• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallout Shelters

The BC bunker is located on DND property in Nanaimo (1.5 hours north of Victoria) not Comox.  It has apparently been "decommissioned" <whatever that means>.  A google search found nothing on the subject.  I imagine that they simply welded shut all access points and left it as is.

The bunker in Shilo had the doors removed, the entranced bulldozed and filled in.   Now it is just a mound with no access to it.   Most items were moved from within and disposed of or junked.   It is gone.   :salute:

Jeff

In addition to the BC bunker Zoomie mentioned in Nanaimo, there was/is another just outside of Nanoose Bay.   As you drove on the highway heading towards Parksville and climbed the small hill after the Petro-Can there was an antenna farm/transmitter site on the right hand side of the highway.   There was a bunker here as well.   It was utilized mainly for communications and may still be in service.   Does anyone know?

I spent a couple of months in the bunker in Nanaimo and it was very strange.   Not knowing what the weather was like outsiide.   Night became day and vice versa.   The food was alright but we seldom ate in the bunker.   Most meals were eaten at the camp mess hall.   We had a pitch and putt set up on the roof/grass of the bunker and used different vents, etc as hole markers.   I remember one particular night of partying down at the Tally Ho or some other fine Nanaimo establishment and coming back and putting a real estate for sale sign on top of the bunker at the entrance.   Maybe they should have sold it?

Something I vividly remember about the Provincial Warning Centres were the maps on the walls showing fallout patterns and blast areas of differenct nuclear weapon yields.   Very haunting.   I could never figure out why they didn't build the bunker in Victoria were the Provincial government is located.   Any insight?

I remember seeing some of the tubes in the transmitters back in the early eighties.   I hope they've been changed to solid state at least by now.

As previously stated, the bunkers were built outside the immediate effects zones of any weapons targeted at the cities.   The theory being, I guess, that a second weapon wouldn't be wasted targetting the bunker which were designed to withstand pretty much anything but a direct hit, although most of the provincial bunkers weren't constructed to protect from the blast.

The original plan was to establish a minimum of two bunkers in each province for redundancy but this obviously didn't happen.   Alberta's was located in Penhold and during the disposal process a farmer was the only one who put a bid in, I think it was in the neighbourhood of $100k, with his plan being to grow mushrooms in it...this was the one which generated the concern about a OMG getting their hands on it and the deal never went through and the entire disposal process for those not on still active bases was re-evaluated.   A company also put in a bid to buy it for the legalized pot grow op but this never came about either and I'm pretty sure it's been flattened.

Aside from Carp, there was another bunker, called X bunker I believe, out by Perth which was designed as the Comms transmission site for Carp and they did a pretty major buried cabling job for those days to connect the two.   I dated a girl who had been posted to Carp back when they still assigned quarters there for the single folk.   Interesting tales of people who became trolls because they never ventured out...   I was there on visits while it was still operational and it was quite the place, knew most of the MPs posted there at the time as well but by that point nobody was allowed to have quarters there although the kitchen was still operational and they did, on occasion, have people in overnight.   If you're ever in Ottawa and you get the chance, I highly recommend the short drive to Carp for the tour.   They've got a good story about the Soviet Defence attache coming out for a look since it was just within their allowed radius of travel and they found out what was up because of newspaper coverage.  

On a side note... Newfoundland never had a provincial bunker... they were going to build one, but it's construction was delayed, and then never occured...

The provincial warning centre was initially located in (Believe it or not) an abandoned rubber boot factory (So chosen because it was far enough away from the capital, and the walls were heavy enough concrete that it would have been able to survive a nuclear attack...

The warning centre was later moved into the HQ building in CFS St. John's (The same building where the battle of the atlantic was planned).

Permenent facilities were constructed for the warning centre, an above ground concrete building, but never occupied because of the end of the cold war.

We just moved into a brand new house built right next to the DND land where I'm hearing the bunker is located.  I'd love to chat with anyone else who has spent time there.  Very fascinating and intriguing to see this forbidden land behind a barbed wire fence in view from our home! 

We live just off of College Drive between the Nanaimo Parkway and Westwood lake.  Our cul de sac backs onto DND land.  Were you ever at the bunker or on the DND land?

bwarden said:
We live just off of College Drive between the Nanaimo Parkway and Westwood lake.  Our cul de sac backs onto DND land.  Were you ever at the bunker or on the DND land?

That Classfield Information...

No just kidding. I honestly havn't step foot in BC. I'm a Maritimer. Only place west we go is to Fort McMoney, in Alberta.

During the "Cold War" period every Province had what was known as "Provincial Warning Centers (PWC)."  Beside the big National Control bunker in Carp there was 6 bunkers built.  One in each of the following provinces:  1.  Nova Scotia, 2. Quebec, 3. Ontario, 4. Manitoba, 5. Alberta and 6. British Columbia.  Every other Provinces' PWC were housed normally within a government bldg.
Each bunker complex was actually 2 bunkers.  The main bunker was the largest housing the Provincial Premier and officials as well as reps from the National Banks (complete with a stock of gold), CBC, and various other organizations.  The second bunker was used as the communications transmitter site.  In Ontario the main bunker was in Borden with the transmitter site about 10km short of Wasaga Beach.  There was also a third component that was kept closer to the main bunker.  An antenna farm or the receiver site was usually less than 10km from the main bunker. 

The bunker in Borden has had the main tunnel bulldozed with the remainder left virtually in tact.  The bunker itself was totally self sufficient.  Having enough food and water to sustain all inhabitants for a prolonged period of time.  There was 2 very large electrical generators (the size of small locomotives) that I believe are still underground just needing a tune up and a boost to get going.

I worked in Borden for a couple of years.  Pretty cool nonetheless....

AES Op - Jr said:
<snip>

The bunker in Borden has had the main tunnel bulldozed with the remainder left virtually in tact.  The bunker itself was totally self sufficient.  Having enough food and water to sustain all inhabitants for a prolonged period of time.  There was 2 very large electrical generators (the size of small locomotives) that I believe are still underground just needing a tune up and a boost to get going.

I worked in Borden for a couple of years.  Pretty cool nonetheless....

An uncle of mine was posted to Borden twice in his military career. When I was a kid he told me once he had to go into the bunker a few times and stay there for a couple days as part of an exercise. It was chilling, though, to hear that my aunt and cousins would not be able to accompany him in the event of a real emergency. The impression I had at the time that was that my uncle's family would be more or less on their own if the balloon went up. Although I suspect now that that was not wholly true. Arrangements would likely have been made to evacuate military families to a safe place in an emergency - if time permitted.

I have heard rumours that there exists a bunker somewhere near or just outside of Capreol, Ontario buried deep in the Canadian Shield. It was supposedly built as a replacement for the bunker at CFS Carp. I've also heard that the Valcartier facility remains fully operational. Anyone got any info to confirm or refute the rumour?

When I served with 'C' Squadron 1st Hussars ('79 ~ '81), the armoury was located in the basement of the Sarnia, Ontario postal building. Interestingly enough, the entire basement/armoury seemed to be configured as a fallout shelter of sorts - but not a hardened one. Part of the basement was hived off from the armoury portion and had rooms that looked like they were intended for storage - of what, I'm not certain. I never went into any of these rooms, and no one else I knew did either. There was no clear indication that this part of the basement was in use by either Canada Post, the regiment, or any other government department located in the building.

The parade square alone was large enough to accommodate many cots to be set up - probably 50 to 60 at minimum.

When going down the stairwell that led into the armoury, you could see a very large generator set located to your left and below, walled in by a cage-like structure. This was interesting to see, considering that the postal building in Sarnia was not a sorting plant, and no critical government departments were located there, either.

My best guess, and a wild one at that, is that the armoury was set up during the days of the National Survival system to house the local Militia during a crisis. Because the armoury didn't offer any definite indication that it was in fact also a fallout shelter, it seemed somehow like a partly-finished project. Maybe further development of the basement-cum-fallout-shelter was abandoned after the National Survival project ended. Or all of the things I've surmised could just be an overactive imagination at work.

By the way, I have toured the Diefenbunker museum at Carp. Very interesting piece of Cold War arcana. I can see why it fell into disuse - not only because of the end of the Soviet nuclear threat, but also the reality that Russian ICBM's by the early 70s were accurate enough to score a direct hit, or come so close as to render the facility non-functional.

I have been in the one in Borden, they used to call it "the Hole" for a CFC CPX ca 1989. And in 1994/95 I was directly involved with the closeout of the Carp facility from a Supply perspective, it was the largest of the lot with a double bed for both the PM and the GG as presumeably they would have also brought their spouses. The Log O had moved into the PM's office!!  That same year I also had occasion to visit the one in Debert which was being used by the Comm Area HQ. That was one wasted visit all the way from Ottawa.

The one in Penhold had been closed out shortly before I got to what had been CFCCHQ. That was the only real justification for keeping that base open all those years after flying ceased there late 1960s.

All were very expensive to maintain and were more or less obsolete from the day they opened given the increased accuracy of ICBM warheads from the 1960s onwards.

As far as armouries go, I believe the one in Sault Ste Marie was constructed with global thermonuclear war in mind, or so I was told when I was there in 1998.

The bunker in Penhold is gone. it was totally removed...took the better part of a summer to destroy it.

I did a tour of military museums in the Ottawa Valley this past summer, including the Diefenbunker at Carp. It's certainly worth the trip and the price of admission is a bargain. The staff are knowledgeable and quite fun, actually. And they have almost all of the info right. They could not, however, say much of what the computers at Carp actually did. There is more info in this thread about that than they could tell you on the tour! For some reason, no photos are allowed inside the Diefenbunker. They also have a DVD available in their gift shop that is the official Army Signals film of the construction of the Carp bunker. Amazing to see that the whole thing is electrically bonded and a complete Faraday Cage! On thing they also mentioned was the COG site at Kemptville, which was above ground. The Perth site was also mentioned in the tour.

Perhaps the most bizarre was the dig out plan in case of a nuclear hit. There were two escape tunnels built into the hill. Private Bloggins would be expected to trigger the escape trap and clamber up the tunnel, walk around to the south wall, where a bulldozer (which would have survived the nuclear strike somehow) would be waiting in operating condition. Bloggins would then be expected to dig out the bunker entrance.

I've also heard that the Valcartier facility remains fully operational. Anyone got any info to confirm or refute the rumour?

Yes it's used as transient quarters...

Valcartier bunker being fully functional...... Yeah - sort of.
It is being used as transient quarters - though there have been several fires over the years.
A waste of good money if you ask me.... cheaper to shut er down & spend the maintenance cash to build some better transient quarters.

The bunker in Nanaimo had the doors welded shut and then filled over with gravel. The hump of the bunker has been fenced in. The land around it has been handed to the Natives.
The bunker in Nanoose on the hill has had doors welded shut and again covered over with dirt. Not sure who manages the land. 

CTD,
The problem I see with just welding the doors shut is that, regardless of who ultimately takes control of the site & manages the property, let one person get injured inside sometime in the future & guess who will be on the hook for negligently discharged their duty

You would either have to spend a few days digging the dirt out or use a machine to do it.
They backfilled the entrances.
Plus DND still manages the area surrounding the bunkers.

Back