• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen Comrades (retired members)

Today's Ottawa Citizen reported the death of Major Beverly Robert Brown, RCCS (retired) with his wife at his side in hospital. I worked with him when I was in HQ 4 CIBG and he was in 4 Sigs Sqn. In those day the Brigade Headquarters Company and the Signals Squadron were separate units.

My wife, a DND teacher then, and I owe him big time. Back then I was casually dating her, but she had told me she was going to get married to a guy in Toronto after she returned to Canada. A couple of years later I ran into Bev in the mess in Shilo when he was doing the high tower on the basic para. He told me to get in contact with unowho as her guy in Toronto had ducked out, so I did. The rest, as they say is history, and we will have our 40th anniversary this June.

I got that message on the Signals net ~ I guessed only you and I might know Bev. He was one of the good, solid guys. Too young.  :'(

For the info of everyone.  Gord Yorkston a retired member of the CAR, Engineers and RCAF passed away July 15th in Leduc AB of Cancer.  His memorial service will occur September 17 at the Leduc Legion. It is open to everyone. Gord was a fixture at Remembrance Day and as a retired piper, a supporter of the RCMP Pipes and Drums. Gord was loved for his smile, quick wit and great stories. He will be missed by his wife, children and everyone who knew him.

For those (of a certain age) who knew him, my good friend and former DCO, LCol (ret'd) Brian Costello (RCCS) died, unexpectedly, after suffering a stroke.

Visitation will be held at Kellys Funeral Home Carling Chapel (2313 Carling Avenue, Ottawa) on Wednesday, 14 October from 6-9 pm and again on 15 October at Beechwood Cemetery (280 Beechwood Ave, Ottawa) starting at 12 pm.  Funeral service will follow at Beechwood at 2 pm followed by a military burial at 3 pm

Sadly, I heard that Colonel Jim M Jeffries passed away yesterday.  He spent time in the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, 26 Field Regiment and (I believe) the Fort Garry Horse.  He ended his career as the Commander of Manitoba Lakehead District.

I served wth Col Jeffries for many years including as his CSM with the RWpgRif and on his staff as the Comd. Col Jeffries was also the HCol of 26 Fd Regt (RCA).

His civilian job was a challenge as a teacher and principal in Youth Corrections. He once had a wooden chair smashed on his head among other pleasantries.

Colonel (Retd) James Jeffries

JAMES PATRICK JEFFRIES 1940 2015 In loving memory of James Patrick Jeffries (Jim), beloved husband, father, brother, uncle and friend, who died on October 14, 2015, surrounded by his loved ones. He is remembered and greatly missed by his wife, Margaret; his daughter Fiona (Karen); his sister, Lynda; and by his nephew Sean; nieces Erin and Lisa and their families, and by many friends and associates. Jim was predeceased by his parents, Catherine and Constant Jeffries, sister Natalia and great-niece Brooke. Jim grew up in St. Boniface and lived most of his life in Winnipeg. He lived a life of service to God and his community. He was a counsellor, teacher and principal in Youth Corrections for 26 years. He served his church community as a lay minister, chorister, and member of vestry for many years. He welcomed friends into his life as family, and maintained lifelong connections with many of them. Jim's military career began at age 12 when he joined the Winnipeg Grenadiers Cadet Corps. As an adult he joined the Army Reserves, serving with the Fort Garry Horse, Royal Winnipeg Rifles, and the 26th Field Regiment (Artillery). He rose to the rank of Colonel, commanding the Manitoba Lakehead District. In retirement he continued to serve the military and the wider community through numerous boards and committees. His service was recognized most recently when he was made Commander of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem. Thanks to Dr. Aaron Mellon, everyone at CancerCare Manitoba, and to the nurses and doctors who cared for Jim at the Victoria General Hospital. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Jim's name to a charity of your choice. A celebration of Jim's life will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, October 21, 2015, at St. Andrew's Anglican Church, 2700 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg. NEIL BARDAL FUNERAL CENTRE 204-949-2200 nbardalinc.com
Publish Date: Oct 19, 2015

See you latter Jim.

E.R. Campbell said:
For those (of a certain age) who knew him, my good friend and former DCO, LCol (ret'd) Brian Costello (RCCS) died, unexpectedly, after suffering a stroke.

Visitation will be held at Kellys Funeral Home Carling Chapel (2313 Carling Avenue, Ottawa) on Wednesday, 14 October from 6-9 pm and again on 15 October at Beechwood Cemetery (280 Beechwood Ave, Ottawa) starting at 12 pm.  Funeral service will follow at Beechwood at 2 pm followed by a military burial at 3 pm

It's a bit late but here is Brian's obituary:

COSTELLO, Brian D. LCol (ret'd)

It is with profound sadness, and much gratitude, that we share news of the death of LCol (ret'd) Brian Denis Costello, CD, who died peacefully October 9, 2015 at the Civic Campus of The Ottawa Hospital, following a stroke
    suffered hours earlier at his family home.  He was 74 years old.

Brian is survived by his loving and caring wife, Martha Carolyn Costello (Patterson, of Gaspé, QC), his loving sons Capt (N) Brian Andrew (Maureen), LCol (ret'd) Joseph Patrick (Margaret), Lt (N) Sean Michael (Pam), his beloved
    granddaughters Katherine and Jamie, and by younger siblings Sheila, Michael (Patty) and Aileen (Jack). Predeceased by his parents Capt (ret'd) Edwin and Doris Costello (Switzer) and brother Terry.

A career Army officer, first with the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals and later the Communications & Electronics Branch, he enjoyed a diverse career filled with both field and staff positions, including an exchange tour in Colorado Springs,
    deployment to Ismalia, Egypt with UNEF II, communications support of the 1976 Olympics (Montréal) and highlighted by command of CFS Masset 1981- 84.  He later earned accolades and great recognition for his successful leadership
    of a multi-year, international undertaking, the CFSRS Remoting Project, OP WINTERCHILL.

Retiring from the Canadian Forces in 1995 and later from the Communications Security Establishment in 1998, he continued his 33-year challenge of Multiple Sclerosis with the unending support and love of his wife and partner in life, Martha.

The family would like to gratefully acknowledge and thank the staff on duty in the Emergency Department during Brian's short time in hospital; the care, and caring, could not have been better!

For those who knew him ...

GORDON MACDOUGALL

MACDOUGALL, Gordon Keith "Gord"
    Retired LCol

KWPR4741212.jpg

Passed away suddenly at Kingston General Hospital Friday November 6, 2015 in his 75th year; beloved Husband of Mary Noreen Catherine (nee Patrick), loving Father of two sons and families: Gordon (Howe Island), Michael (Ottawa)
    and family Josee D'Amour and loving Grandfather to Gabrielle MacDougall.  Gordon was predeceased by his parents George Keith and Phyllis Ruther (Gerard), and will be sadly missed by his sisters: Marilyn Kinley (B.C.), Phyllis (Joe) Mrak (B.C.),
    Janet (Ron) Schek (B.C.), and Grace and (Tony) D'Ariano (Hamilton).

Born in Toronto, raised in British Columbia, he entered the Canadian Military Royal Signals Corps in 1960.  After postings in: Petawawa, London Ontario, Kingston, Germany, Calgary, Toronto, Washington D.C., Jericho Beach, Ottawa,
    Gord retired from the military and moved to Howe Island.

On Howe Island, he renovated an old cottage which became his life's work.  He turned his hand at drafting, designing, and implementing Noreen's dream for their home.  Many friends helped with the dream: Bob Conroy, Dan Spencer,
    Don Banks, and Gerald Coady.  His next love was a love of golf and was a member of the Garrison Golf Club and played regularly with his golf "buddies."

Gord will be sadly missed by his nieces and nephews in Hamilton and British Columbia. You were, and will always, truly be an "Officer and a Gentleman" and will live on in our memories forever holding a special place in our hearts.
    Visitation will be held at JAMES REID FUNERAL HOME, 1900 John Counter Boulevard on Thursday, November 12 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and on Friday, November 13 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., with the Funeral Service to follow
    in the chapel at 2:30 p.m.  Reception to follow.  In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in Gord's memory may be made to the Military Communications and Electronics Museum.

Gord will be remembered as a stalwart of the old (pre Canadian Airborne Regiment) Airborne Signals community and as a member of The RCR Regimental Family.

Edit: to add photo

Maynard, Robert 1954 – 2015 Colonel (retired).  Peacefully passed away at home in Ottawa, on November 14, 2015, at the age of 61.  Eldest son of the late Marcel Maynard and Louise Chapdelaine.  He is survived by his wife Sylvie Delwaide-Maynard and his children Nicolas and Patricia, his mother, his sisters Danièle (Christian Rousseau) and Anne-Marie, his brothers (the late Pierre), André (Andrée Ducharme) and Michel, his aunt Lyse Maynard, his nieces and nephews and cousins of both the Maynard and Chapdelaine families.  A celebration of life will be held at 14:00 hours on November 21, 2015 in the Chapel of the Beechwood Cemetery.  As expression of sympathy, donations can be made to the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation or a favorite charity of your choice.  Please no flowers.

Bob’s obituary and accompanying online 'Guest Book' can be viewed at: http://beechwood.permavita.com/site/RobertMaynardColretraite.html?s=40

Lt Jack Mitchell, MC
The Royal Winnipeg Rifles

As written by Old Sweat in our latest History book, action on D-Day, 6 Jun 44:

The advance by C and D Coys to Phase Line ELM, which included the town of Creully on the River Seulles, went well against scattered resistance, which was not surprising as the crust of the German defence line had been broken. Perhaps the most significant incident occurred at a bridge near Creully where Lt Jack Mitchell’s 18 Pl handled a MG position “skillfully and with cool dash.” The Bn area was consolidated by 1700 hrs and the LBD’s settled in for their first night in Normandy. During the evening 5 offrs and 78 men arrived from the reinforcement unit and joined the sadly depleted ranks of B Coy. Rfn Bob Smellie in Lt Lew McQueen’s 15 Pl recalled, “The night was as black as pitch except for the awesome display of fireworks and the noise was incredible.” At about 0200 hrs the Pl heard the sound of marching feet and to their astonishment, a party of Germans walked into their position. A flare was fired from the Pl’s 2-inch mortar and the enemy were ordered to surrender. Nineteen astounded Germans were taken prisoner, although the only officer was shot when he tried to make a break for freedom. The rest of the night was relatively uneventful, if stressful, and few could have been sorry when the sky began to lighten.

Military Cross citation attached (2 pages).

I interviewed him at length in the Deer Lodge veterans' home. He was a most impressive individual even in his golden years and the kind of Canadian soldier we should all aspire to be. Imagine clearing the way for the tanks to advance by running out onto a bridge under fire and throwing anti-tank mines into the river!

From the Regimental net:

It turns out the clerk at VAC Deer Lodge was mistaken.  Jack Mitchell has not died.

I have just spoken with Jack Mitchell’s daughter to apologize for what occurred and to explain how it happened.  She was very understanding and grateful for my call.  She told me Jack is still in Deer Lodge, but he is not taking visitors.  He is in a lot of pain and she hopes his passing will come quickly. 

I am truly sorry for having sent this false information out, and for any sadness or alarm I have caused.

John Woods, late The Royal Canadian Regiment, veteran of the Korean War, noted especially for his action at Chail Li, 28 May 1951, when he was a platoon commander with 2RCR.

12273793_942919122411505_741362756062397567_o.jpg

John, earlier this year, reminiscing about Korea at a regular monthly meeting of our Regimental Association.

John was a businessman, an active member and leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, a stalwart member of The Regimental. Association and a good friend.

More to follow.

Edited to add:

14320_538.jpg

John Woods, as a subaltern, in Korea, 1951, visiting Bde HQ.

Just got this on the Corps net:

"It is with great sadness that I am informing you  that BGen (retd) Don Banks  passed away  last evening .  He passed quietly, in no pain.  Carol and family, Patrick and Sandra,  - all were with him when he passed.
    The  details on funeral will be advised when known

Bill
    William S. Richard
    BGen (retd)
    Colonel Commandant"

Don joined the Army at the age of 16 as an apprentice soldier in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals. After completing the two year solider apprentice programme he was one of the very few who qualified as a Radio Mechanic (technician).

Don was commission in about 1960 and served in a variety of units, including as CO of the old Airborne Signal Troop in the Mobile Striking Force, then as CO of the Airborne Signal Squadron in  the CAR, as CO of 1st Canadian Signal Regiment and, last, as Commander Canadian Forces Communications Command.

On a more personal note, we were good friends, and he was Godfather to one of my two sons. I will miss him.

Details will follow.

BGen Banks was an outstanding man.  He would still show up at CFJSR to hand out his trophy for the Banks Competition or for parades.

RIP Sir. 

E.R. Campbell said:
Just got this on the Corps net:

"It is with great sadness that I am informing you  that BGen (retd) Don Banks  passed away  last evening .  He passed quietly, in no pain.  Carol and family, Patrick and Sandra,  - all were with him when he passed.
    The  details on funeral will be advised when known

Bill
    William S. Richard
    BGen (retd)
    Colonel Commandant"

Don joined the Army at the age of 16 as an apprentice soldier in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals. After completing the two year solider apprentice programme he was one of the very few who qualified as a Radio Mechanic (technician).

Don was commission in about 1960 and served in a variety of units, including as CO of the old Airborne Signal Troop in the Mobile Striking Force, then as CO of the Airborne Signal Squadron in  the CAR, as CO of 1st Canadian Signal Regiment and, last, as Commander Canadian Forces Communications Command.

On a more personal note, we were good friends, and he was Godfather to one of my two sons. I will miss him.

Details will follow.

My condolences to you and your son on your loss Edward.

General Banks was a great man and infuence.  I really enjoyed my chats with him when he visited CFJSR for the Banks' Competetion and our parades.  Personable and honest and enjoyed his time with the troops.

211RadOp said:
BGen Banks was an outstanding man.  He would still show up at CFJSR to hand out his trophy for the Banks Competition or for parades.

RIP Sir.

He certainly was.  His loss will be felt at JSR.

BGen Don Banks' obituary:

BGen%20Don%20Banks%20Photo%20web.jpg

BANKS, Brigadier General (Retired) Donald - Don passed away peacefully while lovingly surrounded by his devoted wife and children on December 4, 2015 at the age of 75.

Survived by his dearly beloved wife, Carolyn, daughter Sandra (Kim) and son Patrick (Trish). Loving and proud grandfather to Kate, Grace, Zachary and Justin. Brother of Bud (Madeline), Jack (Margaret) and the late Margaret (Chuck) Cox. Brother-in-law to the late William (Ann) Hutcheson and dear uncle to many nieces and nephews.

Don had a very distinguished career in the Canadian Army, starting as an Apprentice Soldier and rising to the rank of Brigadier General in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals/Communications Electronics Branch. He served with distinction and honour across Canada and overseas. He commanded at every rank level, and locally as Commanding Officer of the 1st Canadian Signal Regiment, Commandant of the School of Communications and Electronics and more recently as Base Commander of Canadian Forces Base Kingston.

After promotion to Brigadier General in July 1990, he assumed command of the Canadian Forces Communication Command. In June 1993, he was inducted into the Order of Military Merit in the rank of Commander.

After retirement, Don remained active in the local military and civilian community, serving as Colonel of the Regiment for 1st Canadian Division Headquarters and Signal Regiment; president of Signals Welfare Incorporated; as a member of the Board of Governors of the Corps of Commissionaires. He was also, for many years, a Director on the Board of the Military Communications and Electronics Museum, where he was one of the driving forces behind the production of the Corps/Branch history. He was appointed Colonel Commandant of the C&E Branch in February 2000 and was serving in that capacity during the visit of the Branch Colonel-in-Chief, HRH the Princess Royal, Princess Anne in 2003.

Don will be missed by his many friends, both military and civilian as he had a positive effect on all those who had the great fortune to know him.

The family will receive friends at the JAMES REID FUNERAL HOME, 1900 John Counter Blvd, on Tuesday, 8 December 2015 from 2-5 p.m. and from 7-9 p.m. A funeral service will be held on the Base at the Reading Drill Hall (Drill Hall Alpha - 10 Satellite Ave., Vimy Barracks CFB Kingston.) at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, 9 December 2015. Reception to follow at the Vimy Officers Mess. Donations in Don's memory may be made to the Communications & Electronics Museum or the Canadian Lung Association.

Official now, see several posts above.

JACK MITCHELL

JACK MITCHELL Veteran broadcaster, Craig Oliver, paid tribute to Jack Mitchell on CTV's national Remembrance Day programme this year. He referred to Jack as the only living officer who stormed the beaches of Normandy on D-Day. Three weeks after that broadcast, on December 3, 2015, Jack drew his final breath. Craig Oliver's last words that night had been, "Good luck, Jack!" In fact, Jack considered himself a very lucky man. On D-Day, for example, he took a bridge by clearing it of grenades with his bare hands. In the process his rifle broke the impact of a bullet. (Some residents of Cruelly, France still refer to that bridge as the Jack Mitchell Bridge.) In the Battle of Carpiquet Airport on July 4, 1944 Jack considered it good luck that he slipped and fell in the mud a moment before an artillery volley leveled many of the men in his troop, "D Company" of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles. For his bravery that dayensconced in a full body cast, Jack received the Military Cross personally from King George V1 at Buckingham Palace. In 2004, the French Government bestowed on him the Legion of Honour, the highest award for non-patriots, thus conferring upon him the title of honour Sir Jack Mitchell. Born in Winnipeg on 26 September 1920, Jack (John) was the son of British immigrants, Mary (Mollie) nee Bricknell and Henry (Harry) Curry Mitchell and older brother to Richard (Dick) who died in 1996. Jack graduated from Kelvin High School and was among the first to enlist in 1940. After the war he considered himself lucky to have married such "a good looker" as Donna Morrison, whom he called Slim, "by way of incentive." He often spoke about how lucky they were to have three "wonderful" children. Post war Jack established a career in sales, the last 30 years of which was focused on commercial windows. And, until the end of his life he expressed gratitude for his war wounds because the associated pension afforded him more opportunity to help others. In later years, Jack dedicated himself to tending to Donna, saying it was his turn; she'd looked after him for their first half a century together. In 2002 Jack and Donna were admitted to Deer Lodge Centre. Despite numerous infirmities, he remained optimistic and steadfastly grateful for what he considered to be a most fortunate life. Over the years Ed Aston, the late Norm Donogh, Sir Paul Martin and Paul Wright enriched Jack's life as did his lifetime friend, the late Cliff Chadderton whose achievements for amputees was an immense source of pride to Jack. The entire Mitchell family are profoundly grateful to the staff of T6 at Deer Lodge for their wonderful care and to Peachy, Rolando, Leina and Ron who ably supplemented that care during Jack's last months. Always the first to dig deep to help those less fortunate than himself, always honest, faithful to his word and keen to observe justice, Jack was an honourable man who is sorely missed. Donations in Jack's honour can be made to Darcy's Animal Rescue Shelter, 730B Century St., Winnipeg, MB, R3H 0M1; 1-888-2266.

Back