• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fallen Comrades (retired members)

My condolences James, sorry for your loss. I'll hoist a large Irish whiskey in remembrance tonight, and another next time I make it to Hog Town.

From the funeral home obit ....
Ken Himes CD, was born in 1932 in Fort William, Ont. and although he fought for every breath before he died, he passed away on the 16th of January 2015. Ken was predeceased by his daughter, Chrystal Celeste; his brother, Walter and his former wife, Doreen.  He is survived by his beloved wife, Beverly, estranged son, Ken Jr.; daughter, Coral (Steve); grandchildren, Steven, Andrew and Adam; his stepson, Tim (Michelle); stepdaughter, Tracy (Byron); half-brothers, Steve (Patty) and Albert; his grandchild, Nicole; his great grandchildren, Ava, Liam and Finn and his “West Coast Kids”, Derek and Pat.

Ken had many careers during his life, including owning the Sleeping Giant Dairy in Thunder Bay Ont. but his heart was always with the military.  Ken joined the Royal Canadian Regiment in Winnipeg and after basic training in 1953, was sent to Korea.  He fought at the Battle of Hill 187, where 27 members of his company were lost, including his best friend. Ken retired from the service as a Warrant Officer and in 1983, he joined the Korean Veteran’s Association (KVA).  In his 30+ years with the KVA, he assisted with the opening of new KVA chapters in Sault Ste Marie and Minnesota and was the Sergeant at Arms for the Pacific Region.  He returned to Korea with fellow veterans for the 50th Anniversary of the Korean Armistice. Ken had many honours bestowed upon him during his life, including being a life member of the General John M. Rockingham Memorial Unit # 1 and was an Honorary Member of the U.S. Marines ....
From his service in Thunder Bay, I remember him as a man who collected valuable wartime experience and was always willing to share it with younger NCO's.  Rest in peace, Kenny ....  :salute:
himes-kenneth-ken.jpg

Big, interesting guy - the world is a sadder, more boring place without him  :salute: - from his obit:
Whip has been called to the RSM’s Office one last time

Sadly on February 01, Donald Edward passed away peacefully in the comfort of his own home with his wife and best friend holding his hand.

Don was born in Geraldton, Ontario May 8, 1939, the only son of David and Margaret Watson. The family moved to Thunder Bay in his early years and Don attended Francis Street School and Fort William Collegiate Institute until he was “convinced” that serving his country as a member of the Canadian Armed Forces was the best life choice for him. He spent 35 years as a proud member of the Canadian Guards, The Royal Canadian Regiment and the Canadian Airborne Regiment.

Of all his accomplishments in life including the military and athletics, that which gave him the most pride was watching his son Shawn grow up to become an outstanding family and business man. Don could not contain himself when Shawn asked him to be the best man at his wedding. Family was and will always be the most important thing to him. The “Kinfolk” always had his back.

Don thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of life including golfing, fishing, telling stories in the garage over a “jug”, but especially the yearly ritual of the Hunt Camp with the Five Star Lodge gang. Last year’s hunt was most special for him as it was the first for his young grandson Ryder. Always thinking of others, Don never hesitated to come to the rescue – whether it be getting a loan to supply prizes for a long running golf tournament or helping out stranded and distressed Southern Ontario hunters. He loved to make people smile and laugh.

Staying behind to cherish his memory are his wife of over 25 years, Barbara, son Shawn and his wife Jodie and grandchildren Ryder, Beckett, Sawyer and brand new baby girl Scout, his daughter Sherri (Peter) and grandchildren Brandon and Kaelyn and many special nieces, nephews, cousins and other Kinfolk.

Following Don’s wishes, cremation has taken place and a Celebration of Life will be held at a later date when his ashes will be spread at one of his favourite places and we will all raise a double rye and pepsi, small glass, no ice. In lieu of flowers, if friends so desire, a donation in Don’s name to the TBRHSC or to an animal rescue site of your choice, would be appreciated.

A special thank-you goes out to ALL the Staff at the TBRHSC, Nurse Practitioner Crystal Kaukinen, Dr. K. Simpson and her palliative care team, CCAC, paramedics from Superior North EMS, the Neebing First Response Team and the nurses of the VON for always treating Don with the highest level of care and compassion. An extra special thank-you to Nurse Practitioner Aaron Medd and CCAC Community Care Coordinator Lynda Roussel for making the home visits and video conference “fun” even in the most difficult of circumstances. And of course to Rob and Debbie for always being there when we need you most.

He was RSS in TB; "married" younger, local?? 1980's?

Rifleman62 said:
He was RSS in TB; "married" younger, local?? 1980's?
Correct on all three counts - part of the RSS cohort including RSSO Andrew Butters at that point.

Worked with both of them. Both good guys. Andy Butters was a gentleman, professional, typical of The RCR.

E.R. Campbell said:
Gen (Ret'd) Ramsey Muir Withers

I just received word that Gen (ret'd) Ramsey Withers, late of the RCCS and a former CDS, dies last night, of a massive hear attack. He was 84 years old.

I had the pleasure of knowing Gen (ret'd) Withers, not really well but better than most, I suppose ... I will miss him, so will his Corps and his country.

I enjoyed these stories from The Memory Project:
http://www.rcsigs.ca/index.php/Withers said:
We all volunteered of course, but we knew that we were destined for Korea. They told us in April at the [Royal Military] College that if you go regular army, you’ll go to Korea. Period. So all of us who were regular army graduated and then immediately headed for Korea.
In August of 1952 the [25th] Canadian [Infantry] Brigade was going back into the line. And the orders had come down, I think from the corps commander, the American corps commander, that we the Canadians were to sort of imitate the 3rd US [Infantry] Division. The idea was the corps commander wanted the Chinese to think that he had rather overextended the 3rd Division, to possibly goad them into making a probing attack and taking some prisoners. So we were issued American helmets and we changed attack signs and vehicles that were going to be forward, etc. – this great deception plan. And on the air we were to use American voice procedure, which was quite different from the whole Commonwealth procedure. The Commonwealth procedure, without going into too much technical detail, was a very secure single call system, a single call sign. The American system was different. You named the station you were calling and then said who you were. For example, “Hello, Pine Pine, this is Quick Quick.” That was different from ours. Now we were supposed to do that, and, I said, “It’s not going to work very, very well for us, is it? Because we speak French.” So we were going to say “Allo, Pine Pine, voici Quick Quick. Qu’est-ce qui ce passe avant de votre position, over?” [“Hello, Pine Pine, this is Quick Quick. What is happening in front of your position, over?”] Unless you’re a battalion from Louisiana in the States, you’re not very American are you? But they insisted we do it and it gave them all of 24 hours before the Chinese put up little signs across from us, “Van Doos* welcome back.”

The signal platoon provided the signalers to the company headquarters. And generally speaking, two or three to the company headquarters to maintain communications there. Each of the platoons had its own operator who was normally also the platoon commander’s batman. So that would be – the wireless set would be carried by that individual. Sometimes on patrols the platoon commander himself would carry the backpack radio to ensure that he had immediate control to call back for fire. And then what we of course did when we had one going out like that, we had backup base sets that would be perhaps deployed at another company, or whatever, so there was always a backup. But it always radio. You didn’t carry a line out on these patrols.

Line was extremely important. I’m not going to underestimate it. Actually our main system of communication was line, telephone, for quick reaction to – in other words to call for supporting fire. Every outpost was connected by line to its company and then back to battalion. We did what was called laddering. In other words, you wouldn’t just have a single line going from a company back to the battalion, you would ladder. You would put out another line, then put it through say the neighbouring company and then back, so that you always had a bit of flexibility and redundancy.

It wasn’t very fun for us to maintain the line, because through shelling and mortaring and Chinese patrols cutting things, we were at it all the time. And of course the only time you could work in that position was at night. Because otherwise we were overviewed by the Chinese positions on the four hills including [Hill] 227 – which we called – the four hills, we called them the Apostles, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John – and they could look down on us. And so if you were out there in daylight, the line crew, you got mortared. You had to do all the work at night. And at night it was also dangerous because of possible Chinese patrols. So it was a demanding task. There was this one piece of ground between Hill 159, which was our left forward company, and leading back to battalion, where that line would be, it was being shelled out practically every day. And it was very – we were constantly repairing it until our pioneer officer Hal Merrifield had a brilliant idea. He said, “What if we take the casings off the mortar bombs coming in – they are necked down at the top – what if I blow the bottom out with explosives and then two of them will fit together. Get a bunch of those and you can bury them and put the line through that?” And we did. That line never went out again. So that was good. That was 1952.

Now I want you to cast your mind forward to 1962 and I’m now the Brigade Major of 4 Canadian [Mechanized] Brigade [Group] in Germany and I’m at a divisional conference. And I meet a British staff officer by the name of John Ballington. And you could look at his ribbons, he was in Korea. And I asked him where he was and so forth. When the ceasefire was called, he was on Hill 159. And they were given – I forget whether it was 42 or 72 hours, to take all warlike things out of what was going to be the Demilitarized Zone, and 159 was in that zone, of course. This work was overseen by these international commissioners [Military Armistice Commission] or whatever they were called, who decided whether something had to be removed or not. Well there was my little steel encrusted line and they said, “Oh that has to come out.” And John Ballington said, “We had to work almost a full day to get that damn thing out! I wish I could find the guy that put it in there!”

Art Herman was a platoon commander in the battalion. I had been at his platoon, it was on Hill 210. And that was the other thing I used to do, is go around the companies and inspect their equipment to make sure it was all working properly. And so I had a regular routine of visiting and that was the day to visit his company and I went and things were fine in his platoon. And he said, “I’ll walk up to company headquarters with you.” And I went up and we got just up to the company headquarters and I was climbing into my Jeep to go back down to battalion headquarters, when the Chinese started shelling. Art said, “Oh God. There’s three of my guys – they’re all huddled together.” And it was a Y in the trench. Art’s platoon was the last forward platoon. One branch led there and the other went to the right forward platoon and he said, “I’ll go down and disperse them. We’ll see you.” And off he went, and off I went and I got down – literally, the battalion headquarters was only about 400 metres away, and I got down there and into the command post to report in, and people were looking at me with kind of stony faces and said, “Your friend’s gone.” A 122[mm howitzer shell] came in and got Art and the other three men [on 19 August 1952].

Mrs. Willa Jean Holmes: widow of the late MWO Fred Holmes and mother of MGen(ret'd) Walt Holmes, Colonel Commandant of the Royal Canadian Infantry Corps

Just got this from The Regimental net:

Regimental Headquarters has received very sad news of the passing of a long-time and beloved member of our Regimental family. Mrs. Willa Jean Holmes of London, Ontario passed away peacefully at University Hospital, London, on Tuesday 03 March 2015. Born on 24 September 1917, she was 97 years of age. Willa Jean Holmes was married to Master Warrant Office Fred Holmes, a Second World War Veteran and distinguished member of The Royal Canadian Regiment. He passed away in 1983. Mrs. Willa Holmes is the mother of Major-General Walter M. Holmes, MBE, MSM, CD, the Colonel Commandant of the Royal Canadian Infantry Corps and a former Colonel of The Regiment of The RCR. Please read the inspiring In Memoriam below and the moving e-mail from the son of Willa Holmes, Major-General Walter Holmes; from these it is not hard to form a vivid picture Willa Holmes. In the words of her son, “Mom enjoyed all things regimental and she and Dad were very active members of the Sergeants Mess. She looked forward to every opportunity to attend regimental events and functions and was usually the life of the party remaining a staunch supporter and member of our regimental family until the end.” Having met Mrs. Willa Holmes at the Regimental Paardeberg Ball at Ottawa in February 2011, I can certainly attest to her being the life of the party as can anyone else who was present on that memorable evening. I have respectfully included a photograph of Mrs. Holmes from that occasion.

The Colonel of The Regiment, Colonel W.J. Aitchison, OMM, CD, in offering his sympathies to Major-General Holmes also paid tribute to his mother. “So sorry to hear of this. Your mother was brave to the point of being exemplary throughout her last fight – a true warrior and a worthy Royal Canadian. Please accept our deepest sympathy and condolences.”

e3a6feed-13af-4c63-a494-e4bdced871e1.jpg

Willa Jean Holmes was a long-time and passionately loyal supporter of both the Wolseley Barracks Warrant Officers’ and Sergeants’ Mess and the Home Station, London and District Branch of The RCR Association. Her husband, Master Warrant Officer Fred Holmes, had a noteworthy career with the Canadian Army, from 10 January 1941 – 27 October 1973. He served with: The Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regiment), 10 January 1941 – 26 July 1944; The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada, 27 July 1944 – 27 February 1946; The Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regiment), 25 March 1946 – 01 September 1954; The London and Oxford Fusiliers (3rd Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment), 01 September 1954 – 25 April 1958; 3rd Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment (London and Oxford Fusiliers), 25 April 1958 – 06 July 1970; and 4th Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment (London and Oxford Fusiliers), 06 July 1970 – 27 October 1973. While serving in the Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) during the Second World War, Master Warrant Officer Holmes participated in the Aleutian Islands Campaign (June 1942 – August 1943) against the Japanese, landing with the Canadian Fusiliers on Kiska Island on 15 August 1943. Later, as a member of the Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada, he saw active service in North West Europe, in 1944-45, where he saw action in Belgium and the Netherlands. Willa’s son, Major-General Holmes, was a serving member of The Royal Canadian Regiment for 40 years, from 1963 until his retirement in 2003; he has indeed served the Regiment for over 51 years. He was the Colonel of The Regiment from 06 June 2006 – 25 February 2011. Major-General Holmes has been the Colonel Commandant of the Royal Canadian Infantry Corps since 14 August 2013. Ms. Lisa Holmes, a granddaughter of Willa, has also been closely associated with The RCR. She has formerly been an Assistant Curator/Director of the Regimental Museum at London, Ontario.

Again, from the Regimental Net:

Fellow Royals

From the 4th Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment comes very sad news of the passing of a long-time and well respected Royal Canadian. Chief Warrant Officer Claude Roy J. “Buzz” Gomes, CD (Ret’d) passed away at London, Ontario in the early hours of Thursday 12 March 2015. Born on 13 August 1947 he was 67 years old.  Chief Warrant Officer Buzz Gomes had fought a long, arduous and courageous battle with cancer. For the past month he had been in palliative care at London Health Sciences, Victoria Campus. Buzz Gomes had a long and distinguished career in both the Regular and Reserve components of The Regiment. He will be especially well remembered for his many years as a soldier and Senior Non-Commissioned Officer at Wolseley Barracks with the 1st Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment (1 RCR). After transferring to the Primary Reserve Chief Warrant Officer Gomes would go on to serve as the Regimental Sergeant-Major of the 4th Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment (4 RCR) from 27 November 2002 – 14 June 2007. Although no obituary has yet appeared online, it is anticipated that funeral services will occur at London on Tuesday afternoon, 17 March 2015. The funeral is to take place at Needham Funeral Service/Home, 520 Dundas Street, London, Ontario, N6B 1W6, 519-434-9141, e-mail: www.needhamfuneralhome.com. As soon as I have confirmation and further details I will be sure to forward these.

RIP Buzz.
Very good man which I served with in both 1 & 4 RCR.

More on Buzz:

Fellow Royals

Visitation and funeral details have now been confirmed for Chief Warrant Officer C.R.J. “Buzz” Gomes. A Memorial Service will take place at Needham Funeral Service, 520 Dundas Street, London, Ontario on Tuesday, March 17 at 1:00 PM with a visitation for one hour prior to the service. Chief Warrant Officer Gomes served his country faithfully and with honour in a military career that spanned 42 years. He soldiered in the Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada, The Royal Canadian Regiment, and the Canadian Airborne Regiment. Buzz Gomes will be missed on many different levels. For further information please see the obituary below. 

Chief Warrant Officer H. Klausnitzer, Regimental Sergeant-Major of 4 RCR, has forwarded the following message for military personnel attending the memorial service on 17 March.

Royal Canadians: A Memorial Service will take place at Needham Funeral Service (520 Dundas Street) on Tuesday, March 17 at 1:00 with a visitation for one hour prior to the service.
Bn members 1230 hrs; Dress: DEU 1A w/medals, please pass on email; thanks.

Pro Patria
RSM

In Memory of Claude Roy Gomes
August 13, 1947 - March 12, 2015

Gomes, Claude Roy (Buzz) 67 years

Passed away at Parkwood Hospital on March 12, 2015 after a long and courageous battle with cancer. Buzz was born in Halifax N.S. on August 13, 1947, son of the late Victor and Irene (Lillies) Gomes. Buzz is survived by his loving wife Dale, his step-children Yvonne Cormier, Adrian Trenchard and Wanda (Rob) Knight. Grandchildren: Erin, Cole, Joshua, Lindsay, Mackenzie, Spencer, Olivia, Weston and Charlotte. He is also survived by his sisters: Marina (Nelson) Burkey, Daphne Gomes, Cindy (David) Johnstone and Kelly Gomes. Brothers: Victor (Teresa) Gomes, John (Sharon) Gomes and Nephew Colin Johnstone, nieces: Jessica and Kaley Gomes. Buzz served his country proudly for 42 years with the Canadian Armed Forces: the Queen's Own Rifles, The Canadian Airborne Regiment and The Royal Canadian Regiment, he retired as Chief Warrant Officer and Regimental Sergeant-Major of the 4th Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment in 2002 - 2007. Buzz was an avid Golfer at Westminster Trails and a Wednesday afternoon bowler with a group of seniors from Nortel. Buzz will be greatly missed by family, friends and fellow soldiers. The family would like to extend a special thank you to the nurses and staff at Parkwood for their care and compassion for Buzz during his brief stay. A Memorial Service will take place at Needham Funeral Service (520 Dundas Street) on Tuesday, March 17 at 1:00 with a visitation for one hour prior to the service. Burial will take place in N.S. at a later date at Gates of Heaven Cemetery on Lower Sackville. Donations to the Canadian Cancer Society or a charity of your choice would be appreciated. Friends and relatives are invited to sign Buzz's online book of condolences at: www.needhamfuneralhome.com 

An excellent NCO and rep of the Regt. RIP Buzz :salute:

I am sad to report this from the RCMS net. 

LCol Souter was one of Canada's foremost expert physicians on CBRN medical defence and worked, almost up to his death as a public servant at the CF H Svcs Gp HQ on biological warfare vaccines. A gentleman physician-officer, and a pleasure to have worked with. 

LCol (Ret'd) Francis (Frank) Carl Glenn Souter, CD, MD

Frank passed away on Friday, March 13, 2015 at the age of 70 years after a battle with cancer. Beloved husband of Elena “Helen” (nee Arnone). Loving father of Andrew (Jin “Jill” Wang), Patrick and Robert. Cherished grandpa of Damien and Xavier. Survived by his brothers Gord (Joanne), Sam and his sister Jeanne (Paul Roberts). Predeceased by his brother William “Bill”.

Frank had a long affiliation with the Canadian Forces Medical Service / Royal Canadian Medical Service both in uniform and as a public servant and has left a significant legacy in the CAF and for Canada in the area of CBRN medical defence and preparedness.

Friends may call at the Garden Chapel of Tubman Funeral Homes, 3440 Richmond Road (between Bayshore and Baseline Road), Nepean on Friday, March 20, 2015 from 1 p.m. until time of service in the chapel at 2p.m. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation would be appreciated. Condolences, tributes or donations may be made at www.tubmanfuneralhomes.com

---

MC

HCol (ret'd) Dick Butson GC, CStJ, OMM, CD, MB, BChir - Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps / Canadian Forces Medical Service.

Richard Butson, who has died aged 92, was awarded the George Cross for saving the life a fellow member of a research expedition who fell into a crevasse in the Antarctic in 1947.

The Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey (FIDS) originated in 1943 when an expedition left Britain to establish Antarctic bases on Deception Island in the South Shetlands and on Goudier Islet in Port Lockroy. After the end of the Second World War, responsibility for the expeditions was transferred from the Admiralty to the Colonial Office.

In 1947, FIDS, under the leadership of Major Butler, drew up a programme with the United States Ronne Antarctic Expedition (RARE), under Commander Ronne, for their joint cooperation during the sledging season. To provide better weather forecasting for the long exploratory and survey flight Cdr Ronne intended to make, two meteorological stations were set up: one at an altitude of 5,600ft on the Graham Land plateau, north-east of Stonington Island; the other on the shelf ice off a point shown on some charts as Cape Keeler.

During July, the RARE planned to sledge supplies to the base on Graham Land. The first attempt was unsuccessful and, on the evening of July 26, two men were left on the plateau at 4,700ft while the rest of their party returned for fresh supplies. Bad weather set in, their tent was damaged and, while returning to base on foot, Peterson, an American, fell into a deep crevasse.

His companion marked the spot and walked the six miles back to base, arriving alone in the dark. Teams from both camps were sent to the rescue, but the hazards of crossing a heavily crevassed glacier were greatly increased by darkness. Fortunately, it was a clear night with a full moon – the only night like that for several days – and at 4am on the morning of July 27 they found the crevasse into which Peterson had fallen.

Butson, the FIDS medical officer, immediately volunteered to be lowered into the crevasse. He found Peterson 106ft down suffering from shock and exhaustion, but conscious. The tapered sides of the crevasse had broken his fall; otherwise he would have been killed. The American’s pelvis and legs were trapped in the lower, narrow part of the crack. To try to free them, Butson had to work head down, and he got stuck several times.

At this point the two men heard a loud noise and the sound of cracking, warning them that several million tons of ice were on the move. Butson felt the crevasse narrow by about half an inch on either side of his chest, but he managed to extricate himself and tried to work faster.

For nearly an hour, in an extremely confined space, he chipped the ice away until he was able to free Peterson. The American was not seriously injured, so Butson placed a rope sling under his thigh and called to the men above to pull. Peterson suddenly became dislodged and shot upwards to the surface, where he was quickly put inside a tent.

The rope was lowered again and the equipment hauled up, followed by Butson, who rendered the necessary medical aid to Peterson. At dawn, the party returned to base, carrying the American on one of the sledges. Peterson recovered after a few weeks’ rest.
Butson was invested with the Albert Medal by King George VI at Buckingham Palace on November 2 1948. After the Albert Medal was revoked by royal warrant, he was reinvested with the George Cross in July 1972.

Arthur Richard Cecil Butson, always known as Dick, was born to British parents on October 24 1922 in Hankow, China. He was educated at Leighton Park School at Reading, then Cambridge University and University College Hospital, where he took an MB, BChir, graduating in 1945.

During the air raids on London, Butson served in the Home Guard and the light rescue squad. From 1946 to 1949 he was a medical officer to the FIDS, the British government sponsored expedition to the Antarctic. The expedition, which included Kevin Walton among its members, discovered a route for dog teams over the 5,000ft high mountains of the Graham Land Peninsular and surveyed the last 1,000 miles of the most inaccessible coastline in the world.

Butson pursued his postgraduate studies in surgery until 1952, when he emigrated to Canada. The following year he settled at Hamilton, Ontario, where he practised as a surgeon. In 1970, with the establishment of the McMaster University Medical School, he joined the faculty part-time, eventually being appointed clinical professor in the department of surgery. For two years Butson was chief of staff of St Joseph’s hospital in Hamilton, a 600-bed teaching hospital, where he was head of general surgery for many years.

In 1956 Butson joined the Canadian Militia as medical officer to the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry Regiment, later transferring to Hamilton’s Militia Medical Company as commanding officer with the rank of lieutenant colonel. During his command, the unit twice won the trophy for the best militia medical unit in Canada.

Butson qualified as a parachutist at the age of 55. One winter, he commanded a Canadian field surgical team on a Norwegian Army field hospital exercise.

Butson was president of the Defence Medical Association of Canada and for four years represented Canada in medical matters on the Nato Reserve Officers Association. In 1977 he was appointed honorary surgeon to the Queen, and in 1982 an officer of the Order of Military Merit of Canada. He was awarded the Polar Medal for distinguished service in Antarctica.

A keen mountaineer, Butson climbed extensively in the Canadian Rockies, the Antarctic, the Alps and at Baffin Island. He also led a climbing expedition to the Hindu Kush in the Himalayas. On his farm near Hamilton, he raised Galloway breed cattle.
Dick Butson married first, in 1946, Joyce Scott Cowell. They had two children. He married secondly, in 1967, Eileen Gallon, with whom he had a son.

MC

Not a serving member, but the spouse of a distinguished soldier, MGen (Ret'd) John Leech (late the RCCS) and a good friend:

Anne Pauline Leech
    11 Jan 1941 - 31 Mar 2015

Surrounded by her family, Anne passed away at home with peace and grace.

Survived by her high school sweetheart, now loving husband John, son David and his partner Karen and their children Mikhaila, Meghan, Kieran, Anna-Lise, and Kieran (Lexi); daughter Susan and her husband Jeff and their children
    Billie and Cameron. Mourned by many friends and relations around the world, especially in her church community at St. Helen’s Anglican Church.

Anne was an inspiration to us all, whether as wife, mother, friend, hostess, student, traveller, teacher, athlete…Determined and competitive, Anne was a woman of her era, independent yet compassionate, with strong spiritual convictions
    as well as the certainty that only questioning could reveal the truth. Her charm and smile warmed many throughout her life. Our thanks are offered to the many health care workers who cared for her during her short illness.

d8c392e7-60ab-4db8-ba04-94d62bedb439.jpg

Friends and family are invited to visit at Beechwood, Funeral, Cemetery and Cremation Services, 280 Beechwood Ave. (east of Vanier Parkway), Ottawa on Monday, April 6, 2015 from 10 a.m., followed by a Memorial Service in the
    Sacred Space at 11a.m. and a reception in the Sir Robert Borden room from 12:00 onward.

In lieu of flowers, donations in Anne’s honour may be given to St. Helen’s Anglican Church (http://www.sthelens.ca/) or to The Ottawa Hospital Foundation (http://ohfoundation.ca/; designated for cancer research).

It was my privilege to have known Anne since the 1960s. She was a true gem of a person. She'll be sadly missed.

Please see the note below that we have received from Lt Col Cliff Jamieson reporting the very sad passing of Capt (Retired) Chris Drummond. The family need some time and space at this moment, but in due course there will be a Celebration of Life, on which we will send out details.

It is with sadness that I must inform everyone that Capt (retired) Chris Drummond, former RSM of BCD, Bde RSM of 39 CBG and WO and NCO in LDSH(RC), has passed away earlier this evening. I was informed by Fran and asked to pass this news along to the military community. She has expressed that we can pass this sad news along to all his military friends. As you can understand, Fran and the Drummond family are very heartbroken at this news and will need some time to deal with the events. As many of you know, Chris was diagnosed with cancer only a short time ago and this disease, all too quickly took his life. He fought valiantly over the last couple of weeks, but sadly it took its grip on him very fast. I will endeavour to keep everyone updated as other events progress.

Canadian Armed Forces announce the passing of former Commander of the Canadian Army

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=958469&tp=1

Canadian Armed Forces announce the passing of former Commander of the Canadian Army - Retired Lieutenant-General leaves behind a strong legacy of military service

OTTAWA - The Canadian Armed Forces express sincere condolences upon the death of Lieutenant-General (Retired) William Leach. (Photo to the right: Formal portrait of Colonel Commandant William (Bill) C. Leach, CMM, CD, Logistics Branch of the Canadian Armed Forces).

Lt.-Gen. Leach, CMM, CD, passed away in Ottawa on Wednesday, April 1, 2015. He is survived by his three children and one sister.

Quick Facts

Born in Sarnia, Ontario, Lt.-Gen. Leach was a graduate of the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston, Ontario and served more than 40 years in various logistics command, senior administrative and finance appointments in the Canadian Army.
Lt.-Gen. Leach served as Chief of the Land Staff, now referred to as Commander Canadian Army, from 1997 to 2000. He retired from the Regular Force in the summer of 2000. As of 2011, he assumed the advisory role of Colonel Commandant to the Logistics Branch of the Canadian Armed Forces.
Lt.-Gen. Leach is a recipient of the Canadian Order of Military Merit (Commander) and the United States Legion of Merit (Commander).
Following his retirement, Lt.-Gen. Leach was active in the private sector, as well as a wide variety of volunteer activities. He served as Honorary Colonel of the Ottawa Service Battalion and as Chair of the Defence and Security Committee of the Royal Canadian Legion. He was also involved with the Military Families Fund and Support Our Troops initiatives and held board positions with the University of Ottawa, the Royal Ottawa Hospital and the Institute for Mental Health Research. Most recently, he served as Chair of the Board of the Canadian Museum of History and the Canadian War Museum.

Quotes

“We have lost an exemplary soldier and leader. It is most appropriate to honour Lieutenant-General Leach’s commitment and his contributions to the success of our Canadian military family. A colleague and friend, he will be fondly remembered.”
Lieutenant-General Marquis Hainse, Commander Canadian Army

“Lieutenant-General Leach exemplified the values and attributes of all Logisticians.  He was a great supporter and advocate of the Branch and he will be greatly missed.”
Colonel Angela Banville, Logistics Branch Advisor

Dha.do

I regret to inform those that may have known him of the passing of MWO (Retired) Michael “Mike” Secord, he was a 35 year veteran of the CF before he retired.

October 10, 1950 – St. Catharines, Ontario
April 21, 2015 – Calgary, Alberta

Michael “Mike” Stephen Secord beloved husband of Ruth of Calgary, passed away after a brief battle with cancer on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at the age of 64 years.

Besides his loving wife Ruth, Mike is survived by his daughters Brenda (Jeff Grant) and Chrystal (Eric Vondron); sons Aaron (Tammy) and Adam (Char); and grandchildren Payton and Jordan Grant.

Those wishing to pay their respects may do so at McINNIS & HOLLOWAY (Fish Creek, 14441 Bannister Road S.E.) on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. On Mike’s behalf everyone is invited to wear jeans and a t-shirt. Forward condolences through www.mcinnisandholloway.com.

In living memory of Mike Secord, a tree will be planted at Fish Creek Provincial Park by McINNIS & HOLLOWAY FUNERAL HOMES, Fish Creek.

Marcel Joannette, former Lineman.

JOANNETTE, Marcel - Passed away peacefully with his family by his side at the Kingston General Hospital on Monday, May 4th, 2015. Loving father to Doug (Judy) and Andy (Christine). Proud grandfather to Marc, Eric, Ben and Grace. Beloved son of the late Archille and Cecile Joannette. Dear brother of Normand (Marielle), Lise (Gilles), Ronald (deceased), Huguette, Roger (deceased), Therese (Richard), Bernard, Serge (Sheila), Andre (Maureen), Daniel (Sherry), Gabriel, Jean-Marc (Suzanne). Uncle and Great Uncle to many nieces and nephews. The family wishes to express their thanks to the staff at Kingston General Hospital - ICU. Family and friends will be received at the ROBERT J. REID & SONS FUNERAL HOME 309 Johnson Street (at Barrie Street) on Friday, May 8th, from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Liturgy of the Word Service to be held in "The Chapel on the Corner" on Saturday, May 9th at 11 a.m. Cremation to follow

Back