• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

The Making of a Joint Strike Fighter Pilot

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/The-Making-of-a-Joint-Strike-Fighter-Pilot-223970321.html

The Joint Strike Fighter program launched in the early 1990s, when the U.S. Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps set about developing what they called a Common Affordable Lightweight Fighter. The aircraft would replace the F-16, A-10, and F/A-18 in the United States as well as the CF-18 in Canada.

The first step in becoming a Joint Strike Fighter pilot is familiar to anyone who has learned to fly: ground school. In Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 501, ground school consists of academics and simulators that teach the pilots how to operate and fly the aircraft. When I learned to fly the AV-8B, I got a stack of books. I read the books, sat in classes, and practiced in a basic cockpit trainer. My student got a laptop computer with a stick and throttle to plug into it, just like the stick and throttle in the F-35. His classroom is fully electronic. He learns by doing. When we are teaching him about the fuel system, he sees the fuel system, watches the fuel burn down, and views the fuel display on his computer exactly as it appears in the aircraft. When he is in the classroom, his desktop trainer has a touch screen display, a stick and throttle, and a headset and microphone so he can use voice activation to command certain functions —all precisely mimicking the systems in the airplane. After three weeks in the classroom, he graduates to the Full Mission Simulator, an F-35 cockpit that slides into a large dome. Multiple high-definition cameras project on the surface of the dome images of the scenes around the airplane. Although the simulator does not move, it provides realistic video and sound. The simulator is vital, because the F-35 does not have a trainer or two-seat variant. When a student first flies the airplane, he or she is solo.

Center stick pilots need to become side stick pilots. Push button and analog pilots need to become touch screen and digital pilots. Head-up-display pilots need to become helmet-mounted-display pilots. Fourth generation pilots need to become fifth generation pilots. We’re still learning what the F-35 can do, and we need people who know the airplane and can continue to drive it to its ultimate performance.

If/when the F-35 arrives in Canada, I hope i'll still be in a position where I can get my hands on it.  :)

Quirky said:
The Making of a Joint Strike Fighter Pilot

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/The-Making-of-a-Joint-Strike-Fighter-Pilot-223970321.html

If/when the F-35 arrives in Canada, I hope i'll still be in a position where I can get my hands on it.  :)

Unlikely.  Most maintenance will be contracted to Lock Mart.

tomahawk6 said:
AESA radar making the F-35 obsolete ?

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-NOTAM-140909-1.html

Please keep in mind that the articles author (and site owner) is widely regarded as a deranged loon. His background is in cell phone engineering, not any type of air combat. He is pretty good at general RF ideas though, and parts of this article touch on that.

AESA by itself doesn't really mean anything in the context of counter-LO. It's just a more efficient method of pumping the RF energy out. The counter-LO part has more to do with bandwidth, power and digital signal processing on the background.

The article may have some points of truth in it in the bandwidth (something related to antenna size) and power issues. It's pretty hard to tell from the outside what a given system uses for digital signal processing, but the Russians are generally ahead of everyone in that field.

Please note an update at the China superthread about the new missile carried by one of the F35's possible adversaries, China's J20.

Doesn't the fact that this new missile is carried externally from the fuselage, rather than internally like the F35, mean that J20's RCS is greater?

dapaterson said:
Unlikely.  Most maintenance will be contracted to Lock Mart.

3rd line for sure, 2nd maybe. First line will always be AVN/AVS techs.

Quirky said:
3rd line for sure, 2nd maybe. First line will always be AVN/AVS techs.

except for the whole warranty probably preventing to much work from being preformed at first line and even second line except for basic maint tasks

MilEME09 said:
except for the whole warranty probably preventing to much work from being preformed at first line and even second line except for basic maint tasks

Something tells me that they won't be sending contractors up to Inuvik or for whatever conflict, I could be wrong however. Never know what will happen in the Royal Canadian Mounted Air Corps.

Quirky said:
Something tells me that they won't be sending contractors up to Inuvik or for whatever conflict....
:rofl:
Can you say "Calian"? 
Did you not see all the civie contractors over in Afghanistan? 

Oh right......a fighter guy -- you folks weren't part of the rest of the CF's war....  :pop:

Journeyman said:
:rofl:
Can you say "Calian"? 
Did you not see all the civie contractors over in Afghanistan?

One more reason to release and work the oil field.  :nod: 

Oh right......a fighter guy -- you folks weren't part of the rest of the CF's war....  :pop:

We did Sicily...that was harsh enough. Don't hate. ;)

Quirky said:

Grass isn't always greener, but don't stick around if you don't want too. We have 15 recruits probably on these forums that would be happy to take your job.

PuckChaser said:
We have 15 recruits probably on these forums that would be happy to take your job.

Unfortunately, even the majority of recruits coming to cool pool aren't sticking around.  :( A good percentage release during or just after their 5's.

Unfortunately that's the problem when you have a large base inside a boom town, can't compete with the money and housing is way too expensive.

Quirky said:
You know what they say ....  ;D
bb02a.JPG

E.R. Campbell said:
According to a report in the Globe and Mail, LGen (ret'd) Charles Bouchard has dropped off the panel of experts the government hired to review the fighter aircraft project, saying he was too busy to take on the task.

The panel is, now, according to the article:

+ James Mitchell of the consulting group Sussex Circle, a former senior civil servant who has served cabinet and Treasury Board;
+ Keith Coulter, former Communications Security Establishment chief and a former fighter pilot;
+ Rod Monette, federal comptroller-general, who also served as a senior bureaucrat in National Defence;
+ Philippe Lagassé, University of Ottawa professor  an outspoken critic of the jet procurement.

Too busy?  Too busy avoiding problems with a future employer seems more like it.  Chuck is now the head of Lock Mart in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/f-35-maker-hires-ex-general-who-led-nato-libya-mission-1.1866406

CBC reports he retired last April; I suspect he had enough leave to take him to last fall... so he's now just over he one year post-employment cooling off period under DAOD 7021-2.

Korea is in competition with us for a whacked procurement system.

http://breakingdefense.com/2013/09/24/korea-dumps-boeing-f-15-for-stealth-f-35-pacific-sweep-likely/

Haletown said:

http://breakingdefense.com/2013/09/24/korea-dumps-boeing-f-15-for-stealth-f-35-pacific-sweep-likely/

My best guess is that they'll end up with the F35, just like us. Dumping all that money into a updated 1970's airframe would be stupid. Curious, why didn't the super awesome, super better F-18 SH not make the cut? Like our Air Force, they should also look into a fighter primarily designed to be operated off boats.  ::)

Haletown said:

I heard that they dumped the F-35 due to cost that's why they were looking at the F-15 Silent Eagle

Back