• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

A PLA Navy admiral just stated that the J31 stealth fighter pictured below was intended for EXPORT, so one can infer that it might be the mostly likely adversary the F35 will face in future conflicts.

Or it could be a deliberate attempt at misinformation on his part.

203uw2.jpg

Quite a picture!  Must be some jet, he managed to down that aircraft with his landing gear down.  Can a plane be stealthy and have all that fruit salad hanging off the wings?

Lightguns said:
......he managed to down that aircraft with his landing gear down.

As soon as the missile was launched the gear and flaps were down so that he could land right away. 
After all, he has to get to the bar to pull out the tape measure......  :nod:

vets_jp_imaizumi3.jpg
Pilot talk

Lightguns said:
Quite a picture!  Must be some jet, he managed to down that aircraft with his landing gear down.  Can a plane be stealthy and have all that fruit salad hanging off the wings?

They like the dramatic, here is a picture of the manual cover for my Norinco M4 (In case of Alien Invasion, depend on Norinco!)

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/south-korea-rejects-boeing-in-jet-deal-1.1538231

South Korea rejects Boeing in jet deal

Bids by Lockheed Martin and Eurofighter consortium’s Typhoon both over budget

Reuters

Tue, Sep 24, 2013, 08:39

Boeing’s F-15 had been the only bid out of three that was under-budget and eligible to win the country’s largest-ever defense import deal under South Korean law.

Bids by rival Lockheed Martin Corp’s F-35A and Eurofighter consortium’s Typhoon were both over budget.

Some 15 South Korean former air force chiefs signed a petition in late August opposing the selection of Boeing’s F-15SE, saying it lacked the stealth capabilities of more modern aircraft.

The F-35A had once been the favourite as it was the only model that met the initial stealth requirements the South Korean air force submitted. But that requirement was relaxed in 2011 to allow for more competitors and bring the bid prices down.

There is actually a very big retention problem in Cold Lake right now. Military pers cannot afford to live (basic living) on their salary.  Most people will take up a second and often a third job to make ends meet.  Saying buh-bye won't fix the root cause of the problem...

SupersonicMax said:
There is actually a very big retention problem in Cold Lake right now. Military pers cannot afford to live (basic living) on their salary.  Most people will take up a second and often a third job to make ends meet.  Saying buh-bye won't fix the root cause of the problem...

So all the fighter force should move to Bagotville, then?

PPCLI Guy said:

I used to have the same mindset, don't like it - leave. Our bosses pretty much told us the same thing, however with the hot civy sector that thinking backfired. Big time. So far this year there have been 220 voluntary releases Wing wide. We are losing experience and new kids at an astronomical rate, it takes years to become proficient, capable and trustworthy as a tech. This issue has to be fixed in the next 6 months or Canada won't have a fighter force in western Canada, be it with the hornet or F-35.

I don't disagree, and as I am in Edmonton, I see the same thing - indeed much of my time is spent considering how to reduce the release rates that we are seeing.  I responded to your post bluntly as it had no context, which struck a nerve. 

Good2Golf said:

Ah the memories , newly married, turning north at Quebec city, driving through Parc de Laurentide in February to my new posting. How little did we know!  :(  :D

Good2Golf said:

Have I, even remotely, suggested that? Not only it's not strategically efficient, but it would cost more than tackling the real root cause of the problem...

There are other solutions, like enough affordable military housing.  And I am not talking about an asbestos-filled, drafty, PMQ for 1200$ a month.  Get rid of CFHA and let Base Commanders set housing rates.  Public cries military pers get cheaper housing?  Well, it is  avolunteer armed forces.  Join up.

SupersonicMax said:
There are other solutions, like enough affordable military housing.  And I am not talking about an asbestos-filled, drafty, PMQ for 1200$ a month.  Get rid of CFHA and let Base Commanders set housing rates.  Public cries military pers get cheaper housing?  Well, it is  avolunteer armed forces.  Join up.

You mean like follow the recommendations here:
http://www.ombudsman.forces.gc.ca/en/ombudsman-reports-stats-investigations-cold-lake/cold-lake-index.page?

Lockmart gets a contract for Italy and Norway's first F35As...

Defense News

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon awarded Lockheed Martin a $3.4 billion contract for 35 F-35 joint strike fighters, a contract that includes the first aircraft orders for Italy and Norway.

The deal is the DoD’s seventh production order for the stealth jets, which have experienced numerous issues throughout their development.

Four jets are for the US Navy, six for the Marine Corps and 19 for the Air Force. Italy’s first three and Norway’s first two conventional F-35A jets are part of the deal, which also includes one short-takeoff and vertical-landing F-35B model for the UK.

All deliveries are expected by October 2016.

Exactly the numbers planned:

"F-35: LockMart-Pentagon LRIP 6, 7 Deal–Remember Engines Not Included"
http://cdfai3ds.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/mark-collins-f-35-lockmart-penatgon-lrip-6-7-deal-remember-engines-not-included/

Mark
Ottawa

No worries Mark.

When the RCAF orders our F-35s, they will insist on buying ones with engines.

The JSF is going to look awesome in RCAF livery.

Just so people understand bases of current/current US costs.

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
Just so people understand bases of current/current US costs.

Mark
Ottawa

With the Rafale and the Eurofighter being priced in the $120-$135 million per copy and delivering inferior performance, while the F-35 is on track for about $85 million per copy fully mission ready in 2020, do you think the Euros have a realistic chance of competing?

Haletown said:
With the Rafale and the Eurofighter being priced in the $120-$135 million per copy and delivering inferior performance, while the F-35 is on track for about $85 million per copy fully mission ready in 2020, do you think the Euros have a realistic chance of competing?

Only if the media and F-35 haters get their way, will they have a snowballs chance in hell of competing. Euro aircraft already have all the production lines and supply lines set up, no room for Canadian companies to get the kickbacks the government would want. F-35 has them basically built in already.

Back