• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

F-22 or F-35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally believe despite some of the setbacks of the F-22 that it should be our premier choice for several reasons:
- High manoueverability
- sustained supersonic flight
- Advanced avionics that can be upgraded
- Stealth capable
- Two testicles (engines)

The Typhoon exhibits similar traits except for stealth, I believe.  The Gripen is a good close air support fighter AND can be dual seat, but only single testicle though.

J

Fireball said:
I personally believe despite some of the setbacks of the F-22 that it should be our premier choice for several reasons:
-

IT IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR EXPORT !!!!!

And FFS start refering to engines as "engines"

::)

I know it's not available for export TODAY but it looks like US could open up an export version for Japan and Australia (hence Canada too).  There is a debate in the Senate that's been ongoing for several months.  The initial US order was in the 500+ hundreds which was scaled back to 180 (I believe) causing the cost per aircraft to go way up.  Australia/Japan have the funds available to purchase a few, which could ultimately be beneficial to Lockheed and the US gov't by sustaining a highly skilled line of employees until they start mass production on the JSF.

J

Fireball said:
Japan and Australia (hence Canada too). 

Not necessarily so quit assuming. That there is a debate does not mean it will be exported to anyone anytime soon.

was scaled back to 180 (I believe) . 

CDN Aviator said:
IMHO.........

Typhoon or Raffale

Both are available now and represent a very cost effective solution to replacing the CF-188.

How does the loaded range compare with the F-35 & superhornet, I suspect for us this will be a significant issue.

F-35 would be my first choice of the two mentioned in this thread.  My first choice overall would be the Super Hornet.

Canada doesn't need the F-22 - the biggest reason against it being that we aren't gong to be involved in any situations where we'd be able to use the Raptor for what it is created to do.  Canada will never be the first nation involved in any aerial combat against foes such as India, Russia, China, or any other country you want to mention.

My fleet would involve a mix of 50 Super Hornets and 50 F-35's - a decent mix of aircraft that will allow our pilots to get the job done.

Bandit

Bandit1: According the MND the future fighter buy will be only 65 aircraft:
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSN1231405420080512

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
Bandit1: According the MND the future fighter buy will be only 65 aircraft:
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSN1231405420080512

Mark
Ottawa

Ottawa has been known to change their minds, no reason why they will not do so again....

Ex-Dragoon: How often for more rather than less?

Mark
Ottawa

65 JSF's + 35 Hornets....I'm willing to bet that we'll keep a squadron of the Hornets around for systems and pilot training as not ALL of them will have reached their best before date...

Besides, if the attrition rate for the JSF will be the same as the Hornet, do you really think we'd only have a full force number of 25?

Bandit

I don't understand why the Canadian Government can't do a complete overhaul and upgrade of the F-18 Hornets. It would cost less than getting JSF F-35's if what I'm hearing is correct: 300 million a pop, it's completely ridiculous.
Anyways, the F-18's just underwent a systems overhaul a couple years ago, so they should be good for a while yet.

you can do whatever you want to a 1980's jet....its still a 1980's jet !!

lynzi said:
if what I'm hearing is correct: 300 million a pop, it's completely ridiculous.

No, its not correct.

Anyways, the F-18's just underwent a systems overhaul a couple years ago, so they should be good for a while yet.

No because the airframes themselves are only good for about another ten years or so (or less for some).  The older they get the more repairs they need and eventually some will be removed from service entirely due to structural fatigue.     

lynzi said:
I don't understand why the Canadian Government can't do a complete overhaul and upgrade of the F-18 Hornets. It would cost less than getting JSF F-35's if what I'm hearing is correct: 300 million a pop, it's completely ridiculous.

Because the same thing will happen to them that happened to the F-15's

by the way us congress wont allow the sale of the f22 because of the advanced technology used in the stealth materials and avionics... so the sale to any foreigncountry would be illegal on the manufacturers part and any contract to do so void... but the F-35 or the F/A-18 E/F super hornet would be a very good investment providing the dnd/government can decide on the best road to take...

RAGINCANADIAN said:
by the way us congress wont allow the sale of the f22 because of the advanced technology used in the stealth materials and avionics... so the sale to any foreigncountry would be illegal on the manufacturers part and any contract to do so void... but the F-35 or the F/A-18 E/F super hornet would be a very good investment providing the dnd/government can decide on the best road to take...

Have you even looked at the other replies...#142 address the US Congresses approach on the F22.

and yes i did and people were still asking why not F-22... and as for the price of the F-35, depending on model and quantity ordered each unit would cost between 35-50 million not including parts and other contracts through Lockheed-Martin... The F/A-18E/F Super Hornet would be a better buy considering it is a brand new airframe and combat proven as well as has 2 engines.... something the airforce has a love affair with... one of the reasons why the F/A-18 A-D variants were chosen over the F-16 in the late '70 early '80s....

its funny you say that but its so true about what i posted... it must be hard for aviation freaks to think that someone in the army doesnt have an interest in aviation... but i guess some people are too ignorant to be open minded... what a shame eh???

RAGINCANADIAN said:
its funny you say that but its so true about what i posted... it must be hard for aviation freaks to think that someone in the army doesnt have an interest in aviation... but i guess some people are too ignorant to be open minded... what a shame eh???

yeah....my 10.1 hours of operational flying today alone feel real bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back